14:14 ST
[EVENT] Marcy's Harvest Festival (Oct. 31st - Nov. 9th)

FWIW, My bell went off and when I went to the tab the “timer” was showing 45s. Does this mean the bell isn’t subject to the same issues with lag?

Thanks for the info Kiwi! I think I was too excited about the event to notice there was a rank 0 lol.

Posted 10/31/15

Condor

Thanks! ^^

Akira

I think I answered about 24 questions more or less. Hope you rank up soon! c:

Posted 10/31/15
Anyone know the drop rate for the ‘goodies’?
Posted 10/31/15
No idea, but I got one on my first question. I’m thinking it’s probably pretty rare :<
Posted 10/31/15
I don’t know either,  but I haven’t gotten one yet.
Posted 10/31/15

So, ummmm… WtFrack is going on here?!

It’s highlighted because I also copy+pasted it, and copy+pasting turns it into…

“333 - 32 * 80

Quick, puny ineki!
What is the answer to this problem?

HAHAHAHAHA YOU’RE WRONG!!
Cower before my genius!

You said “80” but the answer was “-2527””

... So there’s an INVISIBLE 3 in there?! Okayyyyyyy… But even WITH the invisible 3, the answer I get to 333 - 32 * 80 is 24080, NOT what it says… Eer… What happened?! D:

Posted 10/31/15

STRAW SOLDIER!!!!!!
Akira I started playing last night but only got to do maybe 4 questions before I got home at 8 am. I have played every 30 minutes since and gotten none wrong so approximately 9 hours later and roughly 22 questions?

Posted 10/31/15, edited 10/31/15
Skye - I got it right with the numbers it shows on the page. You have to multiply first, then subtract.
Posted 10/31/15

i am definitely having to refresh my timer every now and then to get the correct time, it’s usually off by about 2 minutes. but my computer hasn’t gone into sleep or hibernate mode yet, and i have a good internet connection…

on the positive side i got one of those bags of halloween past thingies.

Posted 10/31/15

Skye
You forgot order of operations. You have to do the multiplication first, then the subtraction. It’s basically 33-(32*80), which is indeed the answer the ‘crow stated. ^^;

Also you can’t copy/paste, or you’ll end up with ghost numbers! The scholarcrows are trixy hobbitses!

Posted 10/31/15
Skye: Order of operations (you subtracted before you multiplied when it should have been the opposite). About the 3, remember to answer the questions that the scholarcrows actually ask, not sneaky other questions that you might accidentally paste somewhere
Congrats, Thorne!
Posted 10/31/15

Ok, what the heck are “order of operations”? And how the heck am I supposed to tell I’m supposed to do the stupid problem in REVERSE for no apparent reason when there’s no indication that you’re supposed to do it that way?!? (IE: Normally if you’re supposed to do it in some effed up way that I can never remember, indeed, shows like Polygone said 33-(32*80).... But it doesn’t show that way on the page? Why the frack can’t it just be shown in proper order to be more basic math?

(Trivia: I’m a High School drop-out who got my GED, but only BARELLYYY passed the math portion.)

Skye I’m going to quote what Hush explained rather well a couple of pages ago:

:3c Just a reminder for all us non math persons that to get the math bits right, the problems have to be done in the right order! Some might be familiar with PEMDAS or BEDMAS but! That means:

Do the math bits inside of parentheses or brackets first!
Then your exponents.
Next, you’ll wanna do your division/multiplication.
And save your addition and subtraction for last!

So, for example, if the problem was 2 + 3 x 4, order of operations demands we do 3 x 4 first to get 12, then add our 2 for a final answer of 14!!

Now, you sweetlings math your way to victory!

Posted 10/31/15

I made it to Straw Soldier just now too! I’m thinking it took me 24 or 25 questions.
(I did 12 last night from rollover until bed (6pm-midnight for me), then I did at least 10 today, but I can’t remember when I woke up, except it was before 15:00 site time ^^;;
I haven’t gotten a single wrong answer yet though! no goodie bags, alas.

Skye Hush made a great post here :D. Hopefully that’ll help a bit!
Posted 10/31/15

Skye
Order of operations are the order in which you’re supposed to do equations. Commonly known as PEMDAS.
Or, Parenthesis, Exponents, Multiplication, Division, Addition, Subtraction.
You do the problem in that order. If one of those things isn’t in the equation, then skip doing it and move onto the next thing on the list.

Posted 10/31/15

Okayyy, after talking to Roan, who knows all this stupid junk, AND doing it that way, I type in the problem the way she said to my calculator, and it gives me 2527 finally… But NOT negative?

Also, can we get some stupid ()‘s put in there to tell us to do it that way? Because I’ve just been doing all the other math problems the way I normally do, and so far have gotten all the others right… >.<

PS: Please stop pinging me, I’m here, I see it! lol

Not to be mean or anything, but generally order of operations is taught in elementary when you’re learning how to do multiplication and division in the first place. Or otherwise right afterwards. It’s also fairly accepted pretty much everywhere math is used that that’s the order you solve problems in, so it was probably assumed by the ‘crows that it’d be known as part of the question. Most calculators are automatically programmed to follow the order of operations as well if you can type the whole problem in one line. ^^

If you’d like to know the order, the others above me have explained it quite well.

e/ OKAY I pinged you before you said not to ping you/there were quite as many posts here trying to help lmao. Sorryyyyyy. ;;

glitch thank you! I am out shopping now and hoping I don’t miss a question. I only got one bag so far so yeah…I don’t want to miss anything.
Posted 10/31/15
@skye my sympathies about the math problems, im not the best at math either. i dont know all the times tables by heart and they teach that in elementary school, nor do i know the order of operations by heart, so you’re not alone here. so far i have done okay with the math but only with one of those guides open in another tab, lol.
Posted 10/31/15

@Anyone with trouble on anything.

If you’re really stuck/have NO idea what you’re doing, google seems to work for pretty much every question. Just make sure you double-check that the question is right before searching, especially on the math ones.

Totally not cheating K, it’s in the rules you’re allowed to use search engines…

So I just saw this question:

“Which of these is not a common advantage of e-readers over tablets when using them to read books?”

and the answer choices were:
resizable font size
screen readability
longer battery life

And I’m just baffled. Like… this is not only a pretty subjective thing, imo, but the answer (I won’t spoil it, p. sure we’re not supposed to, right?) is something that I’ve never seen an e-reader not have, so I don’t understand…

Posted 10/31/15

Maybe they were, but I was never taught it. I moved a LOT during my school years and no teachers were ever teaching the same junk… Heck, one of my stupid teachers yanked ALL my other classes just to spend a year teaching my stupid cursive writing. LITTTERALLY! No science, math or anything that year… Just endless writing in cursive all year. And my “elementary” school years were spent in 3 different middle-of-nowhere schools that did NOT teach me this. (I did memorize my times table sheet pretty well in that time though. I got a ribbon for it! XD)

I do vaguely remember something from the one single term of high school I stuck around for that they said something about it, but that teacher said that when you do them that way it’s “always clear”, meaning in brackets, and to otherwise NOT do them backwards if there were no brackets… I know because that messed me up and made me fail several papers that had both formats in the worksheets. (I kept reversing it when I shouldn’t and not when I should.)

Also, I am using a calculator, because I KNOW I suck at math… But clearly it’s not a ‘good enough’ one, though it does allow me to type it all in at once.

And the descriptions are helpful I suppose, so thank you to those that explained it!

But how am I supposed to KNOW to do it this way without brackets or indicators? As I said, I’ve gotten all the OTHER math problems right so far until this one…

I suppose I can just flee from the math problems from now on… But does fleeing or failing the problems adversely affect the community totals at all?

Canadians have an unfair advantage with those math questions. We’ve been forced to understand order of operations our whole lives any time we want to redeem a free slurpee or mcdonalds monopoly token lol.
(Click here to read about bizarro Canadian sweepstakes/raffle laws)

Sandhill I think it’s because the correct answer isn’t an “advantage”, because tablets can do it easily as well.

Eww Sandhill that question doesn’t sound fun. As someone who hasn’t used either of those I wouldn’t even know the answer so bleh.

The Canadian skill thing for sweepstakes sounds great actually. xD

Posted 10/31/15
Actually even in college level math it is not generally accepted to do order of operation without indicators to do so, because how a problem is solved (or indicated to be solved) effects the answer. 32-33*80 is vastly different than 32-(33*80). I know order of operations well, it was the one part of math I’ve ever been good at. You can not do order of operations without indicators, otherwise it’s generally accepted that the answer will be wrong. Parenthesis or brackets should be added to the math questions if they need to be solved using order of operations.
Posted 10/31/15
Roan - As someone who’s currently in college math, I gotta say, that’s not true. XD We always observe order of operations. Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication/Division, Addition/Subtraction. Brackets/Parentheses are just one part of Order of Operations.
Posted 10/31/15

Order of operations includes a clause for parenthesis/brackets though. So even without the brackets the order of operations is generally followed in most places unless otherwise stated. Perhaps it’s different in different places in the world? Could be one of those issues. :I

(I’m in university for Game Design and every program I’ve worked with so far has observed order of operations as well as any assignments, and even Google observes it with it’s search bar calculator. So…)

e/ I do agree that it should be shown in parenthesis though for clarifications, since it’s confused quite a few people so far apparently. I just find it odd that it’s confusing people in the first place. .-.

I think adding brackets would be a nice way to stop these mistakes in the future? I feel order of operations is forgotten quite easily, I haven’t done maths classes for about five years but I always remember to do brackets first (and that’s honestly the only thing I do remember - I’m not maths minded at all) :D. I don’t know how easy that would be to do but it would be a nice gesture <3.