21:03 ST
[FORUM ACTIVITY] Raven Exchange
Raven Exchange

ʏᴏᴜ ʜᴇᴀʀ ᴀ ᴛᴀᴘ-ᴛᴀᴘ-ᴛᴀᴘ ᴜᴘᴏɴ ᴛʜᴇ sᴛᴏɴᴇ ᴏғ ᴛʜᴇ ᴄᴀᴠᴇ,
ᴀɴᴅ ᴛᴜʀɴ ᴛᴏ sᴇᴇ ᴀ ʀᴀᴠᴇɴ, sɪᴛᴛɪɴɢ ɪɴsɪᴅᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴄᴀᴠᴇʀɴ ᴅᴏᴏʀ,
ᴀ ʟɪɢʜᴛᴇᴅ ʙᴀɴɢʟᴇ ᴀʀᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴛʜᴇɪʀ ғᴏᴏᴛ, sᴜʀᴇʟʏ ғʀᴏᴍ ᴛʜᴇ ʀᴀᴠᴇ,
ᴀɴᴅ ᴛʜᴇʏ ʟᴏᴏᴋ ᴅᴏᴡɴ ᴀɴᴅ ᴛɪʟᴛ ᴛʜᴇɪʀ ʜᴇᴀᴅ, ᴇxᴀᴍɪɴɪɴɢ ᴛʜᴇ ɴᴜɢɢᴇᴛ ʏᴏᴜ ʟᴇғᴛ ᴜᴘᴏɴ ᴛʜᴇ ғʟᴏᴏʀ;
ᴛʜᴇʏ ᴛᴀᴘ ɪᴛ ᴏɴᴄᴇ ᴛʜᴇɴ ᴛᴀᴋᴇ ɪᴛ ᴀɴᴅ ғʟʏ, ʀᴇᴛᴜʀɴɪɴɢ ᴡɪᴛʜ ᴀ ʙᴜɢ ᴛʜᴇʏ ᴅʀᴏᴘ ᴏɴ ᴛʜᴇ ғʟᴏᴏʀ
ᴀɴᴅ ᴛʜᴇɴ ᴛʜᴇʏ sᴏ̨ᴜᴀᴡᴋ ᴀᴛ ʏᴏᴜ ᴇxᴘᴇᴄᴛᴀɴᴛʟʏ ᴀɴᴅ sʜᴏᴜᴛ – “GIVE ME MORE!

The clearly riled up raven hops around you in a circle, somewhat reminiscent of a dance, and shakes the brightly colored bangle around their foot. They’re clearly excited and have energy to spare, but don’t pay any mind that the bug they so proudly brought you in exchange for your nugget is booking it towards the exit as fast as it can.

It seems like, from the raven’s repeated chanting of ”give me more”, they’ll exchange whatever you give them for something else. There’s no real way of telling what the raven’s exchange system is, or if they even have one – they might be flying to some stockpile and picking at random – but you’d better take them up on the offer fast; at the rate they’re spinning around your home, it looks like they’ve got enough energy in them for one good exchange before they tire themselves out!

Activity Guidelines
  • Through art, writing, or another media of your choice, present an offering to the demanding raven in exchange for one of the gifts listed in the table below.
    • Written entries should be at least a paragraph in length and must include a description of the item you’re offering.
    • Art entries should be refined at least to the level of a clean sketch, and must include a depiction of the item you’re offering.
    • Please be specific as to which category your offering fall under (e.g. write “I’m offering something beautiful” at the top)- this will make it easier to ensure you get the prize you’re expecting!
  • Participation in this activity will earn you the prize item of your choice listed below.
  • Participation in at least one Mycena Rave(n) activity will earn you an activity sticker.
  • This activity runs through the end of the day on April 9th

(+ more options!)

Raven Gift Exchange Table
Mycenian Offering: Raven Gift:
Something Shiny Bag of Wonders
Something Sad

Lone Mushroom
(only works on pets in genesses)

Something Gross

Mushroom of Forgetting
(only works on an adult stage pet with parents)

Something Colorful Changingshroom
Something Muted Gloomshroom
Something Tiny

Immatureshroom
(only works on adult-stage sprouts)

Something Organic Driftshroom
Something Beautiful

Bloomshroom
(only works on adult-stage sprouts)

Something Aquatic Teal Pondshroom
Something Magical Choice of one of the mushrooms listed below

Wheat and Sky Mushroom
Dappled Carousel Mushroom
Bushel of Apples Mushroom
Protagonist Mushroom
Rainbow Serpent Mushroom
Floral Mist Mushroom
Summer Sweet Mushroom
Trailblazer Mushroom
Paper Rose Mushroom
Pancake Mushroom
Cave Painting Mushroom
Cave Shadows Mushroom
Sunbeam Mushroom

Posted 04/01/23
I’m offering something shiny!

The shivering, disjointed form of the Kelph holds momentary pause with a tilt of its head. Being beckoned by the raven and its greedy desires comes across easily, but further details are lost in the murky depths of static sounding in its mind. Bird… shiny thing… shiny thing. The bird wants something shiny, something like that gorgeous bangle, but perhaps not of the exact same shape. Gleaming metal, jingling sounds… It seems obvious what it should do, and its twisted grin widens. Is it innocent… or devious? It’s impossible to tell, but it soon makes its intentions known, its unstable heart worn more plainly on its sleeve than one would think. The artificial Kelph howls out, a sound like screeching tires on pavement, and suddenly…

Spoons. Not just one spoon, no, but a whopping pile of spoons, all silvery and spotless and splendid. As freaky as it seems, it looks as though the creature isn’t here for malice. Rather, it… may be just a little silly, not to mention surprisingly generous.

Where on Earth did it get those spoons, though?! Maybe some Mycenians ought to be checking their silverware drawers tonight…

Posted 04/01/23

“Give you more?” Gyre tilts her head as she regards the raven, contemplating its request. On one hand, one nugget for one bug was not exactly an inspiring trade; if that was what the raven had to offer, it probably wasn’t worth giving it anything else. But, on the other hand ... Gyre might not actually be able to see the future, but she had a good feeling about this raven. And she didn’t have to give it anything particularly valuable, after all. Her tail lashed as she grinned at the raven. “Sure, just give me a second to find something for you.”

She turned back into the tent she currently occupied, rummaging through her possessions for something that fulfilled both her criteria: it needed to be interesting, and it needed to be otherwise worthless. Finally she came up with a torn and stained scrap of paper on which runes still glittered as they tried to complete their original function, interrupted by the tea Gyre had accidentally spilled on it. That damage made the would-be incantation worthless, but it was still sparkly, which she figured the raven would like.

“Here you go!” she told the raven, handing it the scrap. Then she settled down to eagerly await whatever the bird would bring her.

// I’m giving something magical in exchange for a Protagonist Mushroom.

Posted 04/01/23, edited 04/01/23

I’ll offer up something magical! Magically delicious!

A lovely enchanted bowl of birdseed, complete with marshmallow charms.

(If there’s a choice for the mushroom, I would love a trailblazer)

Posted 04/01/23, edited 04/01/23

I’m offering Something Colorful.

I have a colorful (and shiny) rock to offer. An opal rock! This is a nice polished rock, the surface is almost like a mirror it’s so polished. It is a beautiful rainbow mix of colors. When ever the sun shines on it, it reflects back beams of light (kinda like a disco ball!). Every time you look at it, it seems like it could be a different color. But yet, it’s also all the colors at one time. Such an amazing and colorful (and shiny) rock is a perfect gift for you!

Posted 04/01/23

I am offering something Magical for a Floral Mist Mushroom. An enchanted pendant

Posted 04/01/23

I’m offering something Shiny!

Klyna watched the excitable bird for a few moments, slightly confused about how he’d managed to wander so far from the party. She could still hear the music from the rave, but regardless her home wasn’t near anything that she would think a person would want to visit during a party like that… Maybe the bird had taken a wrong turn, he probably wasn’t from around there after all. She might not spend a lot of time in town, but she was still pretty sure she would have noticed if there were quite this many birds normally. It wouldn’t hurt to give her feathery visitor something in trade, and she was curious what else the bird might offer. The beetle had been an interesting color after all, not one she remembered seeing before. Possibly because the bright yellow didn’t exactly blend into the dark grey stones in this section of the cave. As she looked around for something appropriate to offer the bird her eyes fell on a large chunk of quartz, streaks and swirls of purple, pink, and grey were visible suspended in the otherwise clear stone. It was perfect… Well, except for the fact that it was a solid chunk of rock slightly bigger than the bird himself. Obviously she couldn’t give THAT rock to the raven, he’d never be able to fly with it. Luckily, just a few days prior her pet dracco had knocked it off its shelf and broken off a small chunk of the crystal, barely any bigger than the nugget the bird had flown off with before. The broken piece wasn’t nearly as spectacular as it’s parent, but it still displayed a lovely mix of colors and a brilliant shine.

She smiled as she took the small stone out of the small bag she’d stashed it it and gave it too the raven. “Here, would you like this?”

Posted 04/01/23

I’m offering something organic!

Posted 04/01/23

I’m offering something organic!

Posted 04/01/23
I’m offering something organic.

“Give you more? More what?” Snowdrop asked, cocking his head as he looked down at the raven. It cocked its head back, seeming uninterested in giving an answer. “Um… Well, how about this?” He went over to one of the many flowering potted plants that he tended to and picked up his shears, carefully trimming an orchid blossom with enough stem left for a raven to hold in its beak. He brought it back over to the raven and held it out gingerly for it to take, curious to see what it would bring back in exchange—if it was even interested in a flower at all.

Posted 04/01/23

I’m offering something Colorful.
“You know, I think I’ve got just the thing.” Blaze said, turning herself to keep the little raven in her line of sight as they danced to something playing in their little feathered head to see if they even heard her, she wasn’t certain but they were still bopping around so she assumed maybe something had sunk in. She trotted over to a shelf and reached up to the very top. Blaze knew she’d put up here after finding it cleaning just a few days before, for once she was thankful for Howl’s occasional magpie tendencies. Fishing around in a bowl that rattled and jingled until she felt what she was looking for. Pulling out the long loop of beads she offered it towards the raven, the flashing colors catching their bead-bright bird eyes.

The raven hopped over eyeing up Blaze’s offering, two strands of colorful beads fell in a connected loop alongside each other, she guessed it would be long enough that the raven could loop it over themselves like some flashy body chain is they wanted. Wood beads in warm shads of gold and brown fading into natural stone beads, labradorite full of flash, shades of quartz with swirly cores like little captured clouds, brilliant serpentine, rich lapis, and layered malachite all shown next to all colors and shapes of glass beads on both strands. Even in the low light of Blaze’s home all the colors were a rainbow on a string. To Blaze herself, it was a bit much in the color department, but she suspected to a raven with a taste for color it’d be a much more enticing item. At least hopefully.

“What about this?”

Posted 04/01/23

offering something organic!!

a wonderful gift i am sure

Posted 04/01/23

Dear raven, I am offering Something Organic
Cheri approaches, first somewhat hesitant, then more confidently. Paws pad against the soft moss until she is right in front of the raven. It’s beak shines like obsidian, and she knows it could tear her apart in an instant, if it so wanted. She gulps, before presenting it with it’s prize.

The bones of a trout, polished to perfection, tumbled out of the folded cloth she had contained them in. She nudges them forward. “It’s… an odd hobby, I know. Fish scales are more popular, for their brilliant colors, and shining beauty… but I prefer the bones. Pristine in their delicate simplicity, and so difficult to extract without breaking…” There are a few broken ribs on this skeleton, but it’s nearly complete. Surely extracting it was not an easy task. “I hope… you will accept it? And to leave us in peace.”

Posted 04/01/23
Posted 04/01/23

offers something organic

仙桃致敬.

Posted 04/02/23

Sadie offers the shell of an aquatic cephalopod.

Posted 04/02/23

Offering a shiny gemstone I dug up!

Posted 04/02/23

Something Magical, for a Summer Sweet Mushroom.

Evren looked around at what she had. Eve usually liked to give her some random items to help her build her own collection. She spotted one item, tangled within her tresses, and carefully held it out to the raven.

“How about this?” She asked, holding out one of the flowers she usually kept in her mane. “It blooms and unblooms when you blow on it.”

She demonstrated, blowing gently on the petals. They shimmered and shook before closing up quickly. She blew on it again, and the petals unfurled rapidly before their eyes. She did this a few times for the raven to see, before offering the flower again.

“My friend said she asked a wizard to enchant the flower so I wouldn’t be bored, but you can have it, if you like it! It doesn’t need water or anything, either. I’ve had it for at least a year without any water!”

Posted 04/02/23
Wist and Lesbun are offering something organic—peanuts!

Wist and Lesbun were taking afternoon tea in the garden when the raven started circling. They didn’t think much of it initially—the garden was a popular respite for small creatures, with several different feeders. It was only when, quite suddenly, the raven swooped upon the table that it caught their particular attention, as Lesbun nearly lost her seat with a shriek and Wist grabbed frantically for the teapot and saucers.

“Sir!” she exclaimed. “You must watch where you’re landing!”

The raven seemed to have very little remorse for the fact that it had landed in the middle of a split scone, beyond a passing attempt to shake the pat of butter from its claws. Between its beak, unharmed and uneaten, was held, of all things, a caterpillar, which began to wriggle frantically as it was dropped into the pot of sugar.

“Oh goodness gracious.” Wist scrambled for a leaf from the plants alongside the patio and held it out to bring the insect to safety. Lesbun had recovered herself and was picking cutlery off the stones. The raven shrieked at her as she placed spoons back on the table beside it, and she ducked her head just a little while it stamped it’s feet, leaving butter prints on the tablecloth.

“Do you, uh, need something?” she wondered.

“He wants our lunch, probably,” Wist mused, as she successfully got the caterpillar resting on a bush. “You’ve not much use for buttered bread and lumps of sugar though now have you?” she both teased and chided. “Come off of there and I’ll give you some peanuts.”

While the raven continued being far-too-large in Lesbun’s general direction, Wist made the short journey to her small feed shed—more of an outdoor cupboard, really—where she kept all manner of edible things that might appeal to non-Mycenian garden visitors. Jogging quickly back, she took one of the extra plates and carefully poured out probably far more peanuts than a single raven should have, setting it down some distance from the table. They’d already had the shells removed, golden and fragrant and a rather amusing plating on her fine floral china. Finally, the raven hopped down off the table to attend to them, Lesbun sighing in relief with a paw against her chest.

“He’s quite big,” she said as she watched him while she smoothed out her pigtails and patted down her ruff.

“They’re normally that size,” Wist said, unperturbed, as she poured out their disturbed teacups into a flowerbed. The pot itself, thankfully, was unbroken and still half-full. “Another cup, Bun?”

“Yes thank you, though if it’s all the same I’ll have it without the sugar. I’m glad I brought more scones.”

Wist nodded, handing her back her travelling basket from where it had been resting under the table so she might unpack them. “I’ll compost the ones he had the indignity to sit on.”

“Yes I think that would be best.”

They sipped tea while the raven ate peanuts from the dish with a startling refinement for someone who had walked in their food and put bugs in their sugar, thinking not much of it when it finally finished and flew off. It was only when they themselves were finishing, with the usual “It’s about time for me to head back, thank you so much for the tea” “thank you for the visit, let me walk with you” “well let me help you pick up first then” “oh thank you very much” train of niceties and gratitude that would go on for some time that they noticed it had come back, hopping out of a nearby bush as they were shaking out the tablecloth.

“Back already?” Wist teased. “I’m afraid we’re done now.”

But the Raven seemed not to be looking for another meal. Instead it dropped something on the patio and swooped off.

Posted 04/02/23

Hrg is offering something shiny!

Hrg‘s favorite thing to do was barter. They kept their juiciest apples and stinkiest cheeses tucked safely away in a shed for such occasions. It had become known throughout the autumnal village as the Trading Hut, a point of pride for Hrg, and almost every villager had come to the hut for one item or another.

Not long ago, word had come to Hrg about a group of ravens nesting nearby. The ravens gathered on the edge of the village and offered a myriad of items, which would be delivered sometime the next day after a favorable trade. At first, Hrg was taken aback by the ravens cawing and swooping and demanding more, more, more! But after getting a good look at their growing hoard, Hrg had just the idea.

They returned to the ravens with a platter of shiny golden apples. Hrg had spent the morning polishing them until the sparkled under the sunlight, and was satisfied with the result. The basket, handwoven with wood from the forest in Hrg’s backyard, would provide an excellent shelter for any eggs the ravens were watching as well.

The ravens bounced up and down, pleased with the offering. Hrg bounced up and down in return, a grin on their face. They waved goodbye to the ravens and flutter-skipped back home, waiting on Raven Prime Delivery.

Posted 04/02/23, edited 04/02/23

Better get a pot for it, though

Posted 04/02/23
Posted 04/02/23
Posted 04/02/23

Something Organic

Seeing the raven’s expectant hopping Wish headed to her kitchen. She wasn’t certain would would please the raven but she had been out gathering herbs the day earlier. The chamomile flowers were still fresh and beautiful. She kept them in a vase for the time being as they brought a splash of colour to her kitchen. She picked a small bunch of choice blooms and tired them together with a small glittery ribbon that was left lying around from one project or another.

Wish returned to the frantic raven placing the small bundle down before him. “How is this? These flowers can be brewed into a delicious tea. Although I’m not sure such thing interest ravens. No matter. They are as cute as they are useful don’t you think?” She held a bud spare bud out to the raven’s beak. It seemed to sniff the flower and nodded in approval, taking this flower in its beak and the bundle in it feet. 

Some time later several ravens adorned with white and yellow flowers hauled in a brown mushroom grown from a piece of wood nearly as big as them. They left it at the witch’s front gate. Their gift delivered they flew away. Thought not far as they were all really very tired after that.

Posted 04/03/23

SOMETHING AQUATIC ——-!

Edison was a small and curious animal creature, with big round eyes and soft fur. He lived in a magical world, where everything was possible, and he enjoyed discovering new things and exploring the unknown. One day, while he was out wandering, he met an Evil Raven who was perched on a branch, staring at him with beady eyes.

The Evil Raven was known for his demanding nature and his love of shiny things, and he immediately demanded something from Edison. “Give me something shiny,” he squawked, his beak snapping open and shut.

Edison knew better than to give in to the Raven’s demands. He had heard stories of how the Evil Raven would steal and hoard anything that sparkled or shone. So instead of giving him something shiny, Edison decided to offer him something aquatic.

“I’m giving you something aquatic,” said Edison, reaching into his satchel and pulling out a rainbow extraordinary trout. The fish shimmered in the sunlight, its scales reflecting a kaleidoscope of colors.

The Evil Raven was taken aback. He had never seen such a beautiful fish before. He peered at it closely, his eyes gleaming with interest. “What is this?” he asked, his voice softening slightly.

“It’s a rainbow extraordinary trout,” said Edison. “It’s one of the most magical and rare fish in the world. And it’s all yours.”

The Evil Raven hesitated for a moment, his beady eyes darting back and forth. Then, he reached out with his sharp beak and snatched the fish from Edison’s paw. He took a bite, and his eyes widened with surprise. The fish was delicious, unlike anything he had ever tasted before.

Edison smiled. He knew that the Evil Raven had a reputation for being greedy and selfish, but he also knew that everyone had a soft spot for something. And in this case, it was the rainbow extraordinary trout.

From that day on, the Evil Raven would often approach Edison, asking if he had any more of the magical fish. And Edison, always curious and generous, would oblige, always happy to share his discoveries with those who showed an interest. He knew that in this world of magic, there was always something new and exciting to explore. And he was excited to discover what would come next.

Posted 04/03/23

A worn, faded coin, plucked from a selection of far more vibrant and colorful alternatives. Its lack of luster makes it special: it’s like a shared secret, a “what if”, a promise of more than meets the eye.

Posted 04/03/23

Yashma gently guides the excited raven through a wedge of the forest. After a quiet stroll, they lean down to present this bizarre growth at the base of an old log. The moss that covers the tree is thick and slimy and growing out from a clump is a strange little tree. Or is it a mushroom? Perhaps it’s simply how that moss fell on a stick trying to mind its business. Regardless, it’s fascinating and well worth a gander.

Posted 04/03/23

I’m offering something Magical

“Ahhh look at you!” I called as the raven came back to perch nearby.  “Love to exchange gifts?  Wait right there, I’ve got something Magical I think you’d love!”

The large raven hopped excitedly from one foot to the other, croaking and stretching his head far to the left to peer as I turned and darted through my front door and to the side of my front room.  The oaken dresser, top drawer and yes, there it is! I grabbed out the pale pink Fruit Juice Mushroom.  The smell was as fresh as ever and the pale to bright pink mushroom quivered and gave off a pale pinkish glow as I grabbed it from it’s box. I quickly returned to my waiting visitor. 

“This one changes a Mycenian’s form into one of my favorites ~ a Dras in pony form!” I smiled as I gently handed it over.  “I hope you’ll enjoy having this one in your treasure hoard.”

The raven bobbed it’s head, spreading his broad wings.  i felt the whoosh of air on my cheeks as he lofted away.  Such a magnificent fella!  I wondered what he might bring in return. 

If we get our choice of the mushrooms, I’d like a Protagonist Mushroom please.

OregonCoast

Posted 04/04/23

Definitely not just a bottle of water filled with those food-grade glittery pearlescent dyes.

Posted 04/04/23
Astaroth is offering something magical!

For a Paper Rose Mushroom, please :3

Astaroth exhaled loudly in an exasperated sigh as he rubbed his forehead. First, the deafening cacophony of cawing and wingbeats, then the obnoxiously loud music from this “rave.” Now, this raven had just dropped an insect upon his floor after Circuit tried trading with it and was raucously demanding “more.” His head felt like it was going to explode from this awful headache of his, and all he wanted to do was sleep. Or… try. He wasn’t sure if he could rest at all with the rave going on.

After scrambling to trap the bug the corvid had brought under a glass before it could get under the sofa, Astaroth thought frantically for a way to make the bird leave. Looking around for anything at least somewhat interesting that he wouldn’t mind losing, he picked up a grey pebble. As unassuming as it was, it was enchanted so that, when thrown, created little harmless elemental-themed bursts with each skip. It was completely useless, but at least it was fairly entertaining. Hopefully entertaining enough to keep the raven gone.

“Here, want this?” Astaroth asked the bird while holding the pebble up. He almost immediately regretted it. The bird squawked and squawked with excitement, all the while hopping around with even more energy. Astaroth flattened his ears to try and block out the ear-splitting racket and grimaced with pain. “No— please— Just take this and leave!” He tossed the enchanted rock toward the door. First appeared a burst of bright flame, then a spark of electricity, and finally a cloud of icy blue snow as it bounced across the ground. The raven enthusiastically snatched it up and flew off, then Astaroth slammed the door behind it.

Time for a nap.

Demonstration of the magic pebble

Posted 04/04/23