02:55 ST
[FORUM ACTIVITY] Raven Exchange

I’m offering something organic!

Skydancer yawned and stretched. She had just gotten out of bed after being woken by the loud caws outside. She opened the door and saw a cute raven hopping around with a bright red bangle on his leg. She thought about what to give the raven. She looked in her bag for something she hoped the raven would like, or at least not mind.

“Hmm… Oh! I could give you this,” she said, pulling out a red eight-petaled flower from her bag. “It glows and sparkles in the nighttime, so it’s one of my favorites. I have quite a few of these in my collection, and they’re very hardy, only needing water once a month at least, and they don’t need much sunlight either; in fact, they prefer as little as possible! Oddly, it doesn’t have much of a scent to it, but at least it looks pretty in the dark.” She offered it to the hopping raven, who grabbed its long green stem with his beak. He flew away for a little bit, then came back and dropped a gift on the steps to Skydancer’s house. “Be careful with the flower!” called Skydancer as the raven flew off into the sunrise, with many ravens following him. She looked at the gift the raven gave her, and grinned in delight.

Posted 04/05/23

A big shiny marble!

Posted 04/05/23

Offering something shiny!

Posted 04/05/23

Something aquatic

Posted 04/05/23

Gwen was absolutely fascinated by these ravens. Though their music was a bit strange to her, she loved anything with unique rhythms. As a singer herself, and a lover of both the musical and mysterious, she had a fascination with everything about this event—this party really!—the ravens had concocted.

When one came to her demanding offerings of some sort. “Well, perhaps it’s for the sake of their wonderful dance party. They do deserve some unique gifts in exchange for the gift of this event, I guess,” she murmur aloud to herself, trying to think of the perfect present. “I guess this little guy could just be a collector of fun things though,” she wondered, giving the excited raven a curious look while recalling what she knew of raven’s preferences…

An idea came to her quickly, something truly unique. She kept a pouch on her full of small treasures—mostly special finds from around their home and treasures from walks in the woods. Amongst them was a simple acorn. In a way, the acorn holds a bit of magic, a hope of new life in future seasons to come. But perhaps that’s not special enough to others, so one more trick might make it truly special.

Satisfied with this plan, she returned to the ravens and announced, “A have found a gift for you. Something magical, if you will accept it.” She stood straight as if about to give her performance, her transluscent fairy wings folded neatly at her back.

Gwendolyn’s chief talent lies in song, though secondarily she possesses a bit of magic, as a descendent of wood fairies. With the acorn in hand, she begins to sing a cheery, upbeat song. It’s difficult for her to imitate the sounds and notes of the Rave(n) music, but she tries her best to imbue some of the feel and spirit into her song. As she sings, she uses a bit of magic to weave in some of the music and sounds of the forest: birdsong and insect song, the sound of wind through the trees, the noises both chaotic and melodious. As her song came to an end she breathed the song into the little acorn. Satisfied, she presented the acorn to the raven. “If you’re ever in lack of music, remove the cap from this little acorn. Songs of the forest are truly special,” she stated with a smile.

In exchange for something magical, I would like a Summer Sweet mushroom.

Posted 04/06/23, edited 04/06/23

A selection of nuts? Foraged items, for sure.

Posted 04/06/23

The majority of Guilla’s posessions were waterlogged items from the bottom of the sea. He wasn’t sure which to grab on such short notice, what would a raven find useful, anyway?

A cursory glance around the room led to something catching his eye: a chocolate coin! He grabbed it and held it out. But then, in the same moment, three thoughts entered his mind.

Firstly, was it safe for a raven to eat chocolate? Not every creature could handle it, he remembered.

Second, even if the raven could eat chocolate, would the poor bird be able to unwrap it with just their claws and beak? He might be handing over a treasure that they may never be able to enjoy.

Third…though it still smelled of chocolate, this wrapper felt oddly…empty.

But before Guilla could change his choice, the raven snatched the wrapper from his hand and began tossing it in the air and kicking it around his floor. Well, Guilla didn’t understand it, but it looked like it was at least somewhat well-received.

Posted 04/06/23

Komet offers something shiny.
Komet gives a light chuckle and reaches for one of his rounded ears.
“Here, would this suffice?” he said, pulling apart one of the back of a studded earring, making sure to place the front part in his pocket, and holding the silver piece towards the bird. The raven quickly plucks the silver earring back with their beak, flapping wildly at the offering. There was more dancing, but this time more energetically jovial. The avian seemed hesitant, as if there should be more than a single piece, but leaves the premise after noticing that Komet had no intention on disassembling more of his accessories.

Posted 04/06/23, edited 04/06/23

Posted 04/06/23

Lacey turns her bewildered gaze from the raven to her cavern, searching for something worthwhile to offer. Her eyes snag on various items (a threadbare old cloak that she never quite managed to grow into; a pile of glimmering stones; a small flip-style notebook whose pages are scrawled in notes), but she hesitates over giving up any of them. Sentimental value, and all that. Unfortunately, she doesn’t keep many things that don’t have some kind of meaning. Finally, her gaze alights on a pair of gardening shears. “Aha! Have I got just the thing for you!” she says, somewhat desperately, as she snatches them up. But instead of heading to find a plant—her thumb isn’t remotely green, actually, and these shears are the only remaining evidence of the time she tried to cultivate a miniature tree, which died promptly upon meeting her—she turns them on her own hair.

“As you can see, it, um, has a bit of shine?” She tries to make it sound like a more exciting offer than it is, fearing what will happen if the raven doesn’t accept. Maybe it’ll refuse to leave and become her new roommate. Which could be fun, but she has a suspicion that ravens don’t pay much attention to where they leave their droppings. She snips off a long lock of hair. It does look pretty with its current blonde-pink-lavender ombre. “Here you go.” She proffers it to the bird, failing to notice that cutting off such a significant chunk has left an awkward stump of hair sticking out of her head.

Posted 04/07/23

Howard squints at the raven that’s appeared on his roost-step. Normally, he is delighted to have visitors, eager to listen to their stories over a freshly brewed cup of joe - but a raven? The noble crow’s most obnoxious, know-it-all cousin?

Well, he’s not quite sure he wants to share his painstakingly home-brewed, freshly ground artisanal blend with such a fellow.

“GIVE ME MORE. GIVE ME MORE.” The raven howls, bouncing and bobbing in place. It doesn’t seem to notice the sour look upon the smaller corvid’s beak, nor does it seem to care about the ruckus it’s causing at such an early hour. It just dances and bows and flutters and screeches its demands, all while Howard takes a long, slow sip from his mug.

“You can’t just show up at someone’s door and demand things from them.” Howard finally says, feathers ruffling in annoyance. “And you’re making quite the racket! You’ll wake up the whole forest if you keep it up.”

The raven gives an odd shimmy in response, poofing out its chest feathers and wiggling downward into a low bow, wings outstretched. Still, it crows, “Give me more! Give me more!”

Howard huffs, “Can’t you even have a normal conversation? Aren’t your species lauded for being oh so very intelligent?”

Still, the raven says nothing new. It turns its head one way, then the other. Bobs it rhythmically and does a weird, almost moonwalk-esque shuffle… and then gives a grand flourish of its wings, knocking the mug from Howard’s grip. He fumbles for it—but, as it turns out, wings are not very good for grappling, and the mug strikes the ground, shattering into a million beautifully lacquered pieces.

Howard makes a distressed croak at this scene of utter destruction, a single tear springing to his eye. The raven tilts its head at the pieces, then carefully picks one of them up in its beak. “Shiny!” It says, reversing its direction with a little hop and spreading its wings. “Thank!”

And with that, it takes off into the brisk morning air, leaving Howard to mourn his broken mug.

Posted 04/07/23

I have something very special for you - something muted.

An old necklace past its prime, the inlaid gemstone once brilliant red, so vibrant that it almost seemed warm to the touch (though it never was), now cloudy and faded with age…

Though it still seems to retain some of its magic, I simply do not need it anymore. Perhaps you could make better use of it?

Oops, I dropped it! Sorry about that.

Posted 04/07/23

“…Grown sustainably, in a no-pesticide, no-fertiliser field — ”

The raven caws loudly and unintelligibly, apparently so far past their boiling point that they can longer form words. Meanwhile, Nine is just trying his best not to laugh as Liu Yu ignores the raven, continuing his tirade.

” — that utilises a scientifically-proven crop rotation that ensures soil health — ”

“You know, they didn’t say you have to prove it’s organic,” Nine adds helpfully, feeling a little sorry for the raven. “Apples are organic by definition.”

For a second, Nine thinks he’s successfully spared the raven from the rest of Liu Yu’s speech, but then Liu Yu shrugs.

And then goes on speaking.

Nine sighs and just tunes him out, closing his eyes. Eventually, what feels like a long, long time later, he hears the closing lines: “…No genetic modification, no external hormones, no magical interference, it’s a one hundred percent organically farmed apple!” Liu Yu finishes. It’s a wonder that the raven stuck out the speech. Nine can only surmise it was some form of sunk cost fallacy. “Here you go. A perfectly organic offering.”

In answer, the raven snaps up the apple and makes haste to vacate the premises. Nine really can’t blame them. Picking up the Driftshroom that they left behind, Nine hands it over to Liu Yu. It’s a good exchange; Nine just hopes the raven won’t come back for revenge.

Posted 04/07/23

Kiyoshi hums thoughtfully as Kaida quite literally vibrates next to him. The little gremlin is eyeing the raven’s feathers with delight. Thrice now Kiyoshi has had to gently push her back so she doesn’t launch herself at the raven to touch his feathers. “Knight would you please pick her up?” Kiyoshi asks gently glancing at his partner in crime, who is sitting politely beside him. A sigh of relief escapes him when Knight does as he’s asked and plucks up the overly excited little monster.

Kiyoshi grins and inclines his head towards the raven. “I have just the organic thing.” Kiyoshi mumbles softly turning to his own tail where he gently and with expert hands removes one of the large blue mushrooms that are growing from the crevices of his tail. Even after it is removed it maintains it glow and powders continue to waft in the air around it. Beside him Kaida chitters from Knight’s hand.

“Here this.. oh, be careful!” Kiyoshi reaches out to gently put his hand on the raven’s beak to push it back as he leans in to sniff. “Careful, the dust will put you to sleep though boiling the mushie into a soup will awaken the person you put to sleep.” He offers another smile as he places the mushie down before the raven. There is a look of bewilderment on the raven’s face for a moment as Kiyoshi explains before he nods.

“Acceptable!” It caws and Kiyoshi smiles. It really is quite helpful to be made of removable organic parts. Though Kiyoshi never thought it was particularly wonderful before. He smiles at Knight, very pleased, very excited that he managed to make a trade.

Posted 04/07/23

Something magical, for a Paper Rose Mushroom.

The raven kept dancing around you in circles, cawing “Give me more!” You start to get annoyed, and when you try to sneak away, the raven follows you…“Okay, okay,I need to find something, anything…”, you mumble to yourself. What is there…You look around and you remember that dark green glowing amulet studded with pearls that you once found during your explorations, you could never figure out what it does, (well if it does have any use at all), but it sure looked rather magical. On your way you go and take it from the shelf, then show it to your new friend. With wide eyes, the raven picked it from your paws, almost hurting you but you could draw back just in time!
Next thing you see is the raven flying away through the cavern door.
Will the raven come back and return your favour?

Posted 04/07/23

omg this event is so perfect for jackie considering he’s the royal ravenmaster,, he’ll be offering something magical for a protagonist mushroom :)

“Well aren’t you a silly one!”

I stare at the raven as it skitters around my room, repeating its request over and over. A wide smile overtakes my features as I take in the show. I’d dealt with many ravens before, but none were quite so fascinating as this fellow. After a few more laps around the room his energy seems to have a diminished a bit. He stops at looks at me, tilting his feathered head and blinking his small, beady eyes.

“Hm, you’d like something, right? Let me see what I can scrounge up for you, dear.”

I walk to the corner of my room where a large wooden chest sits. It held trinkets and knick knacks gathered over many years, so there was bound to be something a raven might like in there. I dig and bit and come upon a small, intricately carved jewelry box. Opening it revealed a small vial full of a brilliantly glowing liquid. He’d like this, wouldn’t he? He is wearing those glowy bracelets after all.

“How’s about this? It’s a bottle full of the essence of the sun! A wonderful mage gave it to me once. If you take this, a little bit of sunshine will be with you wherever you go. It’s quite powerful and has some healing properties too! ”

I held it out and within an instant he took it from my hands. He carefully put it down on the floor and stared intently into the warm, glowing liquid, cawing quietly, but pleasantly. I smiled to myself; it seems he likes it. He took up the vial in his beak once again and flew off through my window.

“Strange little creature, will he come back and give me anything in return, I wonder? He didn’t seem like the dishonest type aha..”

Posted 04/07/23, edited 04/07/23

Offering something magical for Trailblazer Mushroom:

Fahx approaches the raven with a grin from ear to ear hoping to entice it into giving him something good. He reaches into his jacket pocket and pulls out a small package carefully wrapped in leather and tied with sinew. He carefully unwraps it and pulls out a small crystal that seems to glow with its own energy. You can practically feel the energy coming off of it and upon touch it your fur or feathers stand on end.

Fahx grins and hands it over to the raven with a flourish.

“Enjoy!”

Posted 04/08/23

Meimei has painted an egg to offer the ravens something organic!!!

Posted 04/08/23

I’m offering something magical for a Rainbow Serpent mushroom!

The raven caws, hopping around in a circle over the dark wooden floor. They nimbly dodge between stacks of books, boxes of trinkets, and piles of fabrics. Noel watches anxiously as the raven pecks curiously at various things. He quickly swipes a fragile glass bottle of glittery dark liquid off the floor before it can attract the bird’s attention, and he gives his twin an exasperated look.

“Just give him anything, Leon! It can’t be that hard,” Noel complains, and his twin grumbles as he rifles through an overfull cabinet.

“You’d be surprised, we have a lot of dangerous things.” Leon continues as Noel sighs, watching as the raven flutters up onto the table. They seem to settle slightly as it watches the color-changing lantern, and Noel gives a glance to Leon, now looking through one of the boxes, before rolling his eyes and darting to his organized, clean room. It takes him very little time to find the bag he’s looking for, and he returns to the raven. Luckily, they’re still staring at the fire, though they’ve resumed hopping around in a circle.

“Here. A cube of magic rainbow liquid,” Noel says, and Leon pauses his search as his twin takes out a clear cube filled with a glowing, color-changing liquid. The raven caws curiously and hops over, tilting their head as they observe the cube. They peck at it a couple of times before letting Noel put it back into the fabric bag, and the raven caws loudly, takes the strings of the bag in its beak, and gives a quick appreciative, bobbing dance before leaving as quickly as they arrived.

“Good job!” Leon says, giving his twin a hearty clap on the back, and Noel just grumbles and returns to his room. He’s exhausted from this entire ordeal.

Posted 04/08/23
I’m offering something organic!

The drasilis’ tail quakes as he paces in mild consternation. Something organic, this thing demands. There were other options, but as luck would have it, he was not chosen by the bird requesting ‘something gross’, nor the one requesting ‘something muted’, and not even the ‘something tiny’ bird. He had good ideas for those- a dead frog, courtesy of the ship’s freeloading draccko, a certain kelph with their mouth firmly taped shut, a picture of that kelph’s [BEEP], respectively. The ravens acted in unison and perhaps did arrive as a flock, but he suspected they weren’t quite united, much like the ex-crew of the Ataraxia.

ANYWAY. It’s been a long time since he’s been in this corner of the cave. What counts as organic these days? Non-GMO’d? In a settlement he’d visited recently, such life forms simply didn’t exist. (Or more accurately, there were none after he and his partner had finished passing through.) He supposes it wouldn’t be wrong to find a random flower or something. Organic, no? —well, yes, but terribly boring. Only a square like Seth would give such a bland answer. Actually, by that standard, any of the options (gross, muted, small) he’d considered earlier would qualify…

Hell, he could poach a feather and call it organic.

The drasilis makes one more loop of the well-trodden clearing before approaching the group of buzzing, beady-eyed businessbirds, nodding politely in greeting. “When’s the deadline?”

It beats its wings, huffing and puffing agitatedly. “Now! Right now!”

It’s got all the pomp of an admiral with no ability to speak of besides the military equivalent of I’m telling my mommy!- the dras thinks to himself, dryly. Ah yeah, unlike “organic”, nepotism is has a fairly universal standard. And despite shrooms being another universal military standard, this bird would probably stand to benefit from laying off of them for a while. He’s not quite as good as Seth, but he’s decent at coaxing children to eat their veggies.

Beta searches his pockets and turns up a pocketwatch, a smashed mint, and several looong strands of shining white-gold hair because his partner sheds like a damn cat. “Uh.. hmm…”

The bird gives him an even eviler eye, staring incredulously as the drasilis turns each of the numerous pockets on his coat inside out. Finally, it squawks, “OKAY! ENOUGH! Just say I asked for shiny and gimme the embroidery thread! Just.. just pack up the sharp things already, oh my god.”

In what appears to be a fit of desperation, it snatches the strands of Seth’s hair in its beak and starts to fly off to the group’s treasure pile. ... Does he know? Beta wonders. Nevertheless, he obediently recollects the odd assortment of tools and knives scattered around. He’s pretty curious, actually; what sort of item will that bird give him in return..?

Well, whatever it is, he’s still getting a good deal.

Posted 04/08/23

A tarot reading:

Posted 04/08/23

Posted 04/09/23
We bring for the flick something organic.

Rosie held the gift aloft, peering suspiciously at it as her tails lashed.

“Are you sure?” she asked, expression skeptical. I sighed, reaching out to rescue the plant before she could “accidentally” drop it.

“I’m sure,” I stated firmly. “You know how much your sister has been wanting to dye her hair. Besides, live plants are a tradition in this family.”

“Why?” Rosie asked, switching to walking backwards, the better to show me her doubtful eyebrows. Brat.

“Dead flowers are morbid,” I said. The short explanation; I’d given her the longer explanation thrice already. If she wasn’t going to listen I wasn’t going to waste my breath telling her. Rosie rolled her eyes of course.

“But I like morbid. And so do they! They’re ravens!” she protested loudly, accompanied by broad gesticulations, just in case I had somehow missed how lame she thought our gift was.

“I’m sure they do, but I’m sure they’ll like this too,” I said, clinging to my calm. “Alice worked very hard on it.”

“Ugh,” was Rosie’s take on it, but she finally turned around and let it drop as we approached the flock. She stole the plant back and skipped forward, immediately switching gears as she told them how totally awesome our present was in an obvious bid to convince the birds to be her—friends? Accomplices? Minions??? It was hard to tell with Rosie.

Posted 04/09/23

Alice pattered a couple steps away from the raven and looked around around her family’s campsite frantically for something to give it. They didn’t have much…usually if they wanted something fancy her mother’s illusion magic or her drawings would be what they used to pretend they had nice things. But those had a time limit, and Alice didn’t want to anger the raven when whatever it was given inevitably vanished.
Finally, she settled on something organic as flowers were the only real things around she could afford to give away without upsetting her parents. She plucked a bundle of nearby blue lupine and let out a sneeze. They smelled quite strong. Still, hopefully they would suffice. She couldn’t have a raven picking though the campsite while her parents were in town.
Cautiously she approached the raven and offered up the wildflowers.

Posted 04/09/23

Something Magical ~ for a Floral Mist Mushroom

This little charm is shaped like very strange duck, or perhaps a swan. It’s hanging from a silver chain that one might wear around the neck, although the metal is delicate and slightly warm to the touch. The crystalline facets of the duck-swan that hangs off it are likewise warm, shining with an inner light that reflects back and forth within the item to create a strange sort of rainbow effect. The refracted light is further scattered as it leaves the object, its scintillant surface carrying a sheen of pastel iridescence that sends pale colors shifting all across its surface. While the whole might be a bit dazzling, the light is still soft enough to not be blinding, the inner glow of the item steady and unflickering, its magic stable enough to look like it might last a long, long time. Whatever enchantment has been cast, it only adds to the handcrafted charm of the rest of the item, not looking too polished or carved.

Posted 04/09/23

Zephyr embarked on an expedition to track down a group of wanted poachers. It was a task that he accepted purely for the rewards—having to traverse a cavern infested with frenzied ravens was not what he anticipated, much less having a nugget deprived of in a trade imposed upon him in the most arbitrary fashion possible. When the raven requested another trade, he was ready to make a hasty retreat, his feathers ruffled. But it was at this moment when he realized that this trade could be something from which both parties could derive benefit. With that in mind, his hand reached into his bag in search of an item—one that he had possessed for perhaps a bit too long.

It was a resplendent egg, the surface of which would glisten upon contact with light. For some reason, Zephyr was unable to discard this item after acquiring it; it would simply teleport back to his bag every time it was discarded and left unattended. Perhaps hoarders would not disparage this egg as much as Zephyr does, but he despised it to the hilt; it proved to be nothing but a waste of storage space and a burden due to its weight. Numerous fellow inhabitants of the cave were consulted in an effort to discard this egg; however, as enlightened as many of the inhabitants might be, none of them knew what caused the egg to teleport persistently—that is, until he stumbled upon an avian denizen of a remote cavern. They knew each other, and their reunion sparked an interesting conversation in which they also talked about the egg.

“This enchanted egg yearns for an avian who has their desire to have it accepted expressed,” they informed Zephyr.

Zephyr, in response, was immediately filled with regret; he obtained the egg out of nothing but avarice and curiosity.

Tucked away in a corner, Zephyr endured the raven’s squawks while he attempted to locate the egg, his bag turned upside down. If the avian denizen’s statement was indeed authentic, the egg should recognize the raven as its new owner with the trade’s completion; it would no longer return to his bag but to the raven, and the raven shall rejoice over this newly attained treasure. With that in mind, Zephyr extended his hands towards the raven with the egg firmly held…

Posted 04/09/23

They seem to like dancing, so perhaps they might enjoy throwing some ribbon twirling into their moves

Posted 04/09/23
John hold’s out his hand to tentatively offer Something Organic to the Raven. Surely a snail shell growing a bunch of tiny succulents is organic, right?
Posted 04/09/23

Auri‘s thoughtful gaze pondered the floor of the cave;
What could they offer that would be worthy of a rave?
Surely they had nothing gold enough to tempt,
yet from an offering they would not be exempt,
and they did wonder what made the raven so brave, to come and show no fear in such a stranger’s cave…

“Take these feathers three, from my golden coat I give to thee;
These shiny, sparkly feathers will surely help you see
In the darkened, vaulted caverns of the raves you populate;
they will light the way to friendship so your loneliness will abate-
May your joie de vivre always be, and your dancing always fly free!

(Sorry, but couldn’t resist trying to honor Poe’s classic poem!)

Posted 04/09/23, edited 04/09/23

Forgotten is delighted at the show in her home, clapping along to the beat of the raven’s spins. She doesn’t seem to mind the midnight caller in the least. She reaches out to grab the raven something more, but pauses when she comes across her trinkets. Eyes searching wildly, the loose one rolling about, she realizes that she can’t part with any of these items! These are her trinkets! Her collectables!

She staggers around to the other side of the ricketty shelf, trying not to knock it over with her knees, as she searches for something that she wouldn’t mind so much to part with.

Enthusiastically, she produces a wad of moss growing along a stone, from a collection of moss-riddled stones. This one is rather plain in comparison to the others in her collection.

She presents it with a dance, before placing it on the ground where the nugget had been, so that the raven could fly off with it and produce ‘more’.

Posted 04/09/23