06:05 ST
April News Discussion
It’s April!

Important note: Due to the unexpected time it took for us to prepare the Quest for the Lost Chamber event, as well as our focus on finishing the upcoming Spring Event, we will not be holding any sort of April Fools tomfoolery today.

A new OotS has arrived!

This month’s OotS coat is Divergence, by Rhyme. It is now available for purchase in the Out of the Shadows shop, along with its Playing Cards and Side Splash Wig (both of which were created by Myla)! As an added bonus, the Side Splash Wig will also be available for purchase in Val’s Modern Composition in our five standard colors.

New Spring Seasonal

A new Spring Seasonal coat has hopped its way into Fungimental Magic! The Lucky Rabbit Mushroom is now available for purchase, and seasonals from the Springs of yesteryear have returned as well.

New Mycenaissance

March’s Mycenaissance raffle has been drawn, and the spotlight chosen. Congratulations to our winners!

For April’s prompt, we want to hear all about your character’s sense of style — their passion for fashion! We want to hear how your characters work it, both out in the world and when they’re having a quiet evening at home. You can read the full prompt here!

Item Survey 2017 results

The results of this year’s item survey have been compiled, cleaned up, and are now available for viewing. You can check out the top 50 results here! Thanks to everyone who submitted ideas and took the time to vote - this data has proven to be quite helpful to us in the past, and is something that we will continue to reference as we release new items!

BBCode updates

We’ve pushed several minor BBCode updates, as well as a new feature! The minor updates include correcting spacing issues when using certain tags, and can be read about in detail in this thread. We have also added the ability to generate dice rolls within forum posts! This feature was introduced as a fun new mechanic for use during the current roleplay event, but will stick around after the event’s conclusion. Further details can be found in this post.

Quest for the Lost Chamber

The Quest for the Lost Chamber roleplay event is ongoing through April 21st. Kerric, Visk, and Sieni are seeking brave Mycenian volunteers to journey deep into the unexplored reaches of the Cave in order to help locate the Sorceress’ Chamber! Their goal is to hopefully find a solution to the magical surges that have been plaguing the Cave. You can learn more about this event in this thread!

Coming soon!

Recently, word has been getting around that Jessamyn is looking for volunteers to help her with some sort of project. The whole thing is very hush-hush, but rumor has it that she’ll be providing a bit more information in the coming weeks.

Posted 04/01/17, edited 04/01/17
Item additions to the shops

Golden Faerie Lights has been added to Fungimental Magic and Flower Rush and Renewal were added to Lands Within!

Flower Rush and Renewal are full circle backgrounds (not avatar backgrounds) taken from previous years’ spring event art as someone suggested that we do. :)  They are happy to see the light of day again!

Posted 04/01/17, edited 04/01/17

Etienne is even more perfect, now.
; u ;

Posted 04/01/17
sCREMS OH NO I NEED 10 THOUSAND FAERIE LIGHTS
Posted 04/01/17
I NEED DIVERGENCE PET!!!!!!!!!!!! I NEEEEEDDDDDDDDDD ITTTTTTTTT
Posted 04/01/17

yessssssssss

go sahi go, you get ‘em babe

What a lovely range of atmospheres we can create now with backgrounds. Just these two add so much.

Posted 04/01/17
Toggleable Site Items

glitch made us a new feature to test: toggleable layers on site items!  This will come in handy with a few of our multi-layered site items.  For example, some backgrounds have foreground components that can go over the pet (Jungle Glade).  With this feature, we could allow players to turn off the background or foreground component rather than always displaying both, making the item more versatile.

We’ve started the foray into toggleable site items with the Enchanted Gazes!  We had a suggestion that it would be handy to toggle the irises individually so that Mycenians could have two different colored eyes.  This should now be possible, so go ahead and test it out!  It works similarly to toggleable edits on site coats: under your Mycenians management page, you’ll see a check box next to item layers that have this ability.  Uncheck the box to hide the layer! :D

Enchanted Gazes can be found in Val’s Modern Composition if you don’t already have some of your own!

Posted 04/02/17

OMG I’M SO HAPPY ABOUT THIS. ; A ; *goes to play with her items* <33333

*edit* Ilya’s going through a punk phase with her hair.

Posted 04/02/17, edited 04/02/17

It’s a bit sad not to have an april fool’s joke, but only because y’all outdid yourselfs last year with MycenaShave :)

The contacts are pretty cool! lol how edgy is this

I love the new backgrounds, too! Hoooooray!!!

(upright dogs still seem to have an issue with the brown side splash wig in the magic puddle sorry OTL)

AAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Now all I need is full-eye contacts and my wishlist is complete!! <3 <3 <3

Fun examples:

Ahh, what a nice update! Can’t wait see what other items start using this!!!
Posted 04/02/17

Darby looks so good with heterochromia I love it :0c Thanks for the addition of toggleable lenses! Having more items like these in the future seems like it’ll be fun too c:

Posted 04/02/17

I’m glad you all are liking the toggleable items! :D

More Items Made Toggleable

I’ve updated a few more items: Faerie Ring, Seascape, Regium Asteroid, and Natantis Asteroid

A useful thing you can do now with the regium asteroid is to turn off the rock and only the forehead gem will display (which I’ve updated to display in the avatar version)!

Posted 04/02/17
Wahhh, this is so cool! Thanks so much for the update, Myla & glitch. I can’t wait to see the other items in action.
Posted 04/02/17

M-magic items OwO
And new event coats!

Posted 04/03/17, edited 04/03/17

YES!!!  I can’t wait to get Darcy’s kitchen for my Wilf <3

And hurrrahhh for toggeable edits!!!  These are going to add so much to customizing levels.  What a clever work around so you can now have heterochromia and lookie, even a ‘third eye’  c= 

I did wonder what MC would do to top last year’s April Fool’s.  In a way I’m kinda glad you didn’t do anything this year, as last year was so epic, it gives time to savor a little longer xD

Posted 04/04/17
More Items Made Toggleable

Jungle Glade, Disguise, Tea Set, Starshine Summon, and Basket of Shrooms

More Full Backgrounds

Fishing Rendezvous and Fungal Forest!

Can be found in Lands Within!

Posted 04/11/17
GASP, WE CAN TOGGLE THE MUSTACHE.
Posted 04/12/17
Yessss I’ve been waiting for the Jungle Glade to be toggle-able.
Posted 04/12/17, edited 04/12/17
New Equippable Items

Floating Candles. Golden Sea Wave Circlet, and Silver Sea Wave Circlet!

Floating Candles can be found in Fungimental Magic and the Circlets can be found in Sullie’s Closet!

Posted 04/19/17, edited 04/19/17
Those candles. *_*
Posted 04/19/17
Whoa, did ___ change?

You may have been noticing (mostly small) changes around the Mycena Cave UI over the last week or so. In particular, the most recent thing to change are the “magic dropdowns” we use (e.g. addressing echos, selecting artists in the custom form, choosing the pet to send your Spring potion to, etc).

Why?

Why the changes? We’re slowly reaching the end of a pretty massive push to remove the jQuery library from Mycena Cave code. jQuery is basically something that makes it easier / quicker to write Javascript, but comes with its own cost: the library itself, along with its various plugins etc, clock in at almost twice the size of all of the Mycena Cave Javscript code put together, and this has to be downloaded / loaded before any of the rest of it can run. By not using it, we reduce data usage and page-load time pretty impressively, especially on mobile.

Disentangling jQuery from our codebase has been tricky, as evidenced by the various bits and bobs that were temporarily broken as we rewrote and unhooked components. The magic dropdowns were themselves were a jQuery plugin, which meant that disentangling them would be particularly difficult (think like running a chrome extension without chrome), which is why they’re possibly the most visually noticeable artifact of this change.

So where are we at?

We’ve managed to detach almost everything, besides a few stray magic dropdowns scattered around the site (e.g. market management, pet management, etc). There’s also a few little hooks into chat left to be rewritten, but those are relatively small. I expect to have gotten to the last of them by the end of next week, at which point we’ll be able to start shipping a greatly reduced page footprint! :)

Edit: April 25:

And it’s done! :)

Posted 04/21/17, edited 04/25/17
Thanks for the update glitch! :D
Posted 04/21/17

I am definitely not adept at understanding the intricacies of this update, but it sounds like a crazy amount of work! Thanks for putting in so much effort to better the site and, like Arintol said, for keeping us posted on it! And for the speedy fixes of all the little issues that popped up along the way. >.>’
*smooches each of the new dropdowns*

Posted 04/21/17

glitch I’m not sure why but I seem to still be having issues with the drop down menus. I tried it with potions and also in magic puddle and neither want to work.

ETA: Just checked in another browser, still doesn’t work. Neither does mobile so I basically have no way to send potions.

Posted 04/21/17, edited 04/21/17

glitch

Can I ask how the new search drop downs actually work? Previously it seemed to look for very specific things. For example, if I was trying to find a Herbal Hex Mushroom and typed that into the bazaar it would pull up that or nothing at all, whereas now it seems to be keeping everything with the word “mushroom”. I can’t seem to figure out how the magic puddle works at all… If I type random stuff in there it’s still pulling up an odd assortment of actual site items.

It does seem to be working, though! It’ll pull up the things I want, just weird extra stuff too sometimes.

Posted 04/22/17
Nyfeaena the dropdowns use a fuzzy search. It’ll match what you actually type, but also match other things that are “closeish” to help account for typos etc. Full matches are always ranked more highly, so in essence what you’ll tend to get are the full match(es) at the top, followed by a few kinda-sorta matches underneath. The exception to this are the player-pickers and pet-pickers, where only exact matches are returned.
Posted 04/23/17

glitch

The exception to this are the player-pickers and pet-pickers, where only exact matches are returned.

The behavior is a bit wonky for player-pickers on the potions page (try saying that a few times fast lol).
If I’m trying to give a potion to Chi

Hmm, ok, but what if I want a different Chi? I have to scroll way down here:

I would expect the results to sort themselves so that exact matches are displayed first, then matches with other characters, but it seems to be using some other criteria (I assume is pet ID#) to sort results.

Posted 04/23/17, edited 04/23/17
Interesting! Thanks glitch! :D That explains why the potions dropdown still seemed “normal” to me while the others didn’t.
Posted 04/23/17
Jacq It looks like pet pickers are not displaying results in the correct order… I’ll look into it.
Posted 04/25/17