10:39 ST
[EVENT] Professor Sprocket's Marvelous Meteorologic Machine

Nobo Ersatz Devon

The hint says something about a catalyst...perhaps you’re looking for something made of crystal?
Somewhere on this page, you’ll find a page that has to do with both of the italicized words. That’s your destination! 8)
I’d also like to point out that I’m so grateful that this was an activity more geared (ba dum tss) toward community instead of a Cave Challenge, where everyone’s racing to get the right answer first and only the first solver gets a prize. I feel that this way, the event helps to pull players together as they work to solve a challenge instead of competing with each other in what feels like an impossible task, and it’s more rewarding to those who aren’t always the fastest at solving puzzles but who work hard to figure them out.
Posted 04/07/19, edited 04/07/19
Thanks! That was really clever!
Posted 04/07/19

Cosmo
Thank you so much! ;o;

Posted 04/07/19
Cosmo you are a lifesaver ;A;
Posted 04/07/19, edited 04/07/19
Anyone else stuck on the 5 digit drawer? Its late where I am and my brain is not working so well - but I can’t for the life of me figure out how to solve the code… I figure its connected to the strange symbol writing, just can’t seem to figure it out. >___<
Posted 04/08/19
Heiyu
The symbols are one-to-one with the letters on the bulletin/poster. And if you scroll a bit further down on Hyasynthetic made a lovely and easy to read list of the letters-to-symbols.
Posted 04/08/19
Nobo Thank you!
Posted 04/08/19
Cosmo Thank you! I would literally never have guessed that!
Posted 04/08/19

I’m posting here to brag with my new, gear frame, but to also say, I love the hidden side quest. 8) I love that it deepens the mystery of Professor Sprocket, and it connects to previous events in the past.

I have a sprout (Intrepid Explorer) between two MC-canon characters who participated in the Icy Soul Event. Within Intrepid Explorer’s sprout text, there was an anonymous “local” who was criticizing how everyone was freaking out on how to get the flower down. The “local” who was interviewed also had a very memorable accent.

Playing this event, learning more about Professor Sprocket, and his very ... distinctive ... southern twang ...I have a new theory that the “local” they interviewed when Intrepid Explorer sprouted was Professor Sprocket.

Posted 04/08/19, edited 04/08/19
Made a swap thread :3
Posted 04/08/19
Rowyn Thanks! I added it to the first post!
Posted 04/08/19

Aliza: I have no idea how you managed to decipher the symbols…
Me: Professor Sprocket put them on his flyers advertising his need for help. For some reason. You know, for a genius, he really is kind of an idiot, isn’t he?

Posted 04/08/19
Hyasynthetic ... PFFFFFFFFFT :’‘D Definitely a high intelligence, low wisdom sort of dude
Posted 04/08/19

Hyasynthetic Ha! Agreed!

Also oof that was one long document to translate, but very interesting with how it connects the Professor to previous events! (If anyone needs that translation I’m happy to pass it along!)
And even maybe Swan’s sprout after reading their post! Wow!

Posted 04/08/19

@nobodies13

I’d unfortunately appreciate having that translation passed along? I wanted to translate it myself but i simply cannot focus on it. Even with the lovely cipher to me it just looks like really pretty curlicue.

Posted 04/08/19
If only the code could be made into a font we could use to write letters to each other…
Posted 04/08/19

fairyneko I’ve got them down as well; here you go!

Everything is going exactly as planned (see “the plan” volume two”).
With the help of these Mycenians, eager to work in exchange for mere baubles and trinkets, my magnificent machine is well underway. I expect construction to be completed shortly.
Soon, my genius will be known all throughout the cave!

Testing of my machine has been going well. With just a small amount of work on my part, I have managed to redirect one of the weatherization output vents into a nearby cavern to the workers.
My first test was to create a great snowstorm — much like the one that gripped the cave last year. Monitoring of the conditions produced by my machine indicated that I was able to recreate — and then worsen — the conditions of last year’s blizzard. In other words, success!
Were the fabled, beloved Sorceress still alive, I expect she would be hanging up her cloak at witnessing my genius. No longer will the Cave and its denizens need to rely on her lingering magic.
Soon, all I have ever dreamed will be within my grasp.

Posted 04/08/19
Thank you very much! Hopefully i can figure this out….
Posted 04/08/19

Testing of my machine has been going well. With just a small amount of work on my part, I have managed to redirect one of the weatherization output vents
into a nearby cavern, inaccessible to the workers.

My first test was to create a
great snowstorm - much like the
one that gripped the cave last
year. Monitoring of the conditions
produced by my machine indicated
that I was able to recreate - and
then worsen - the conditions of
last year’s blizzard. In other
words, success!

Were the fables, beloved
sorceress still alive, I expect she
would be hanging up her cloak at
witnessing my genius. No longer
will the cave and its denizens
need to rely on her lingering
magic. Soon, all I have ever
dreamed will be within my grasp!

I’m actually having a really hard time with the five digit passcode @-@ Deciphering the letters isn’t coming easy even after the guide, I’m not convinced they’re connected to the code, and it’s not helping that I’m getting just a little impatient and tapping ever so slightly into my anxiety so that I’m not quite able to focus.

For folks like me who were going crazy trying to figure out how to start the side quest…

You don’t need to go anywhere on the site to find it. Aliza might pop up in the Jonquil Cavern image when you go to collect parts. Click on her, and she has something interesting to say…

Posted 04/08/19

Re: side-activity

There are a lot of scattered suggestions in this thread—if someone feels up to it, feel free to make a dedicated side-activity thread for easier searchability. I’m happy to link to it in the first post. :D

You all are also doing an awesome job keeping suggestions/hints/guides under spoiler tags; that is much appreciated! <3

Posted 04/08/19
Rowyn
There’s a second page of cipher to be translated, did you click on the tiny piece of white paper on the underside of the desk? That has the coded instructions for the 5 digit code.

fairyneko
If you’re still having trouble with the five digit lock:

There’s actually an extra page of cipher, which comes up when you click on the small scrap of paper stuck to the underside of Professor Sprocket’s desk. Here’s the translation:
“Start out twogether
and add one more
double
then halve it
and combine with the first”

Posted 04/09/19, edited 04/09/19

A comment about the mechanics tweaks: I have noticed a change! I do end up with fewer piles of the same part. Unfortunately I end up with more small piles of a few parts instead of massive heaps of 10+ things—right now I have 5 fittings, 3 gears, 3 straps, and 5 tubing (and one star shard (update: and a coiled wire)). Of course I have absolutely no idea if it’s just my luck and I’m paying more attention to my parts than normal this year, but. :‘D

There have also been several occasions where I’ve had at least one each of seven different parts but I’ve been unable to make anything. Again I don’t know if this is just me paying closer attention than I have in the past, but I shake my fist every time it happens.

I REALLY loved the concept and execution of the side activity. Like, really. It was such a unique thing for us to do! :D

Posted 04/09/19

snafflewyrm
Actually I’m also having trouble, because

even though I’ve found and decoded that snippet, I don’t understand if I’m supposed to take it literally or metaphorically. I’m just really that bad at these sorts of puzzles.
Posted 04/09/19

Glaive
I typed a few different combinations in before I finally managed to figure it out XD

If it helps, there are five lines in the puzzle, and each line corresponds to one of the numbers of the five digit code.
The ‘twogether’ in the first line isn’t a typo. Once you have that first number, hopefully the rest should follow fairly easily! Please let me know if you need more help tho :)
Posted 04/09/19

Question about the side quest:

I have yet to see Aliza, how rare is she supposed to show up?
(I only know about this side quest because of the posts in this thread, haha^^)

Posted 04/09/19

I wasn’t around for the previous event so I can’t say how its changed, but I currently have 17 gauges and absolutely no glass casings or flexible tubes so shrug

edit: and of course the next part I scavenged was a flexible tubing lol

Posted 04/09/19, edited 04/09/19

You’re not alone, I’ve been suffering under a ton of gauges too haha :’)

Posted 04/09/19

snafflewyrm

I had actually clicked everything, but was having trouble deciphering the letter code even after the guide was made ^^; But I got it :)
Posted 04/09/19