06:07 ST
[EVENT] Bruc & Jessamyn's Sorcery Spelltacular (Oct 28th - Nov 11th)

Bruc and Jessamyn routinely journey to an isolated cavern, far away from the main settlement and into the Cave’s wilderness. This cavern almost quivers with magical energy, the Cave’s natural magic amplified by the runic phrases etched into the walls. It’s here that Bruc cultivates the mushrooms that make up his shop’s wares; here that Jessamyn crafts the illusion spells that line her shop’s shelves and allow Mycenians to feel as though they are in one of many far off places.

The two—unlikely friends and competitive colleagues—seek out this magical place to hone their skills and work on new products for their shops. Here, the magic is wild, imbuing the flora and fauna with unique, sometimes dangerous characteristics. The air is thick; the ground damp. Pools of shimmering water make up most of the cavern floor, trickling down from unseen sources high above. A heavy fog lingers at the surface of the pools, nearly obscuring the pathways of stone and soft grass. Tall, fungal trees tower overhead, vines stringing between them, blocking out most of the natural light this cavern has to offer. And at the center of it all, a small camp with two tents and an array of supplies ranging from mortar and pestles to empty potion bottles to a large cauldron hanging over the smoldering coals of last night’s fire.

This year, the cavern seems to be just about overflowing with magical energy. Jessamyn and Bruc have deemed it prudent to invite some assistants along to help with their rituals — and Jessamyn certainly hasn’t forgotten the help you provided with her potion crafting all those seasons ago. She gave you her highest recommendation, and Bruc didn’t seem to care enough to argue.

”Aha! There you are!” She nudges Bruc. “See? I knew they’d find their way. Welcome to our retreat! You may not have known this, but we come here every year to practice and hone our skills and think up fun new wares for our shops and, you know, sometimes it’s nice to just chat and cook s’mores over the campfire—”

“Get to the point. Please.”

”Okay, okay.” She puts a paw up to the side of her muzzle as if she’s about to tell you a secret, but doesn’t adjust her volume in the slightest. “Someone woke up on the wrong side of the sleeping bag today, am I right?” Bruc frowns, but says nothing. “ANYWAY, blah blah blah, yearly retreat, new spells, best friends camping under the stars together, you get it. I bet what you’re really interested in knowing is why you’re here, right?”

She grins, motioning to the cavern that surrounds you. “See, this hideaway of ours contains a lot of natural magic — and this year, it seems especially strong. We typically are able to harness and redirect it into our rituals through the use of power words, which we inscribe onto the walls here.” She motions to several runic phrases etched into the walls, each glowing brightly in the muted light of the cavern.

”Stronger magic requires more runes to harness. They fade away after some time, too, which means constant upkeep. Rather than take ourselves away from our work, we agreed that it would be best to bring in some extra help.”
”Your task is to reach into those puddles and pull out some rune stones, arrange them into power words, and then hand the words off to another volunteer who will etch them into the walls. We are, of course, proud to uphold the Mycenian tradition of trading tokens for favors and then inviting you to trade those tokens for real prizes. Depending on the quality of the words you craft, you’ll earn a certain number of leaves and mushrooms, which you will then be welcome to swap back to us for some interesting items!

“We both have lives to get back to, so we really only need you from October 28th through November 11th. You’ll be able to swap your tokens in for more useful items until the end of November 18th.

”And because we know how long it can take to craft power words of the finest quality, we have some other activities for you to enjoy, too! You can try your hand at gardening—is it still called gardening if you’re growing fungus?—with Bruc here, or you can help me out with my spells. We also have a list of power words that will really get the magic flowing, if you’re up for a challenge!”

Event Information
  • This event will be similar to previous years’ word building events. Players will collect letters and use them to build words, which will then be sent to a Mycenian of their choice to earn points. Event points may then be exchanged for various prizes in the event prize shop.
  • Three forum games will be running concurrently with this year’s event: Enchanting Expressions, Bruc’s Mushroom Rottery, and Jessamyn’s Spellweaving. Each of these activities has their own set of rules, so be sure to read their individual threads for details!
  • As always, multi-accounting is not allowed on Mycena Cave. You may not access multiple accounts in order to play this event, nor should you be participating on any account other than your own. Additionally, all words sent to other Mycenians and all forum game submissions must adhere to Mycena Cave’s rules and guidelines.
  • This event runs from October 28th at 00:01 ST through 23:59 ST on November 11th.
  • And, as always…

Event Activities
  • Enchanting Expressions - Create and send the words listed here to earn yourself a Mist-erious Frame!
  • Bruc’s Mushroom Rottery - Bruc needs a few extra sets of paws to help him cultivate and test out some new magical mushrooms! The prizes for this activity will be a couple of unique event item recolors inspired by your experiments!
  • Jessamyn’s Spellweaving - Help Jessamyn build some spells out of various magical components! The prizes for this activity will be a couple of unique event item recolors!
    This event will launch at 00:01 on October 28th!
Posted 10/27/18, edited 10/27/18
Right over Blizzcon again *chuckles* Looks like a lot of fun though! I especially like the planting thing.
Should be fun. Time to get used to random dings again. xD
Posted 10/27/18
Yeaaa! *Hrrrr or happiness* can’t wait to get more items,and hopefully some new mycenae to use them on!
Posted 10/27/18
Wow so many recolored stuff :o

Eeeeaaaaooooeeeee! Lookit all the pretty items! *oggles* I wonder if there will be a temporary shop this year? Aaaaaa, so excite, I slept ALL day so I’ll be up ALL night, lmao.

Also Myla and/or glitch, looks like the end date was accidentally missed on the Enchanting Expressions thread in the FAQ section. c8

*EDIT*

Now that the event has started, I noticed that the letters on my board don’t stay where I put them after I refresh, and it’s a little bothersome because I like to save certain letters on one side of my board for the event word list so I don’t use them. Anyone else experiencing this issue?

Posted 10/27/18, edited 10/28/18

Tamako
I don’t seem to have the issue you’re experiencing..?

EDIT: My board seems to refresh after I receive some new letters though

Posted 10/28/18, edited 10/28/18
Aww I miss the bonus 15 tokens. Or is it only for the first 4+ letter word? Unsure.

Purr Are you perhaps thinking of the recipe-crafting events, where your first collection of the day awards you a bonus of five tokens? Word-smithing events have never had such a bonus, though this mix-up is pretty common due to how both events have a very similar “collection” process.

Tamako Could you try again after a refresh please? Hopefully it’ll start remembering your letter placement now :)

...yes I am. Thanks for clarifying glitch!
Posted 10/28/18
Yep, it’s working now, glitch! Thank you! <3
Posted 10/28/18

i don’t know about anyone else, but i’m pretty frustrated that we got… what, 18 hours of warning before the event started?

i like to prepare myself for these things (mostly by grinding nuggets before they start so i can buy spares of items i like) so having it tossed at me so suddenly is pretty off-putting… especially because the coats are really nice this time around and i want both of them :<

Posted 10/28/18

doragon That’s a fair point! While we did indicate the fall event would go up at the end of the month in the news discussion thread, we do also normally like to give a heads up about the specific date at least a few days in advance so players can be sure to be around the moment the event goes live.

In this case, we didn’t didn’t commit to a date early because we had to work down to the wire to get the event up by the end of the month due to outside factors affecting many of the staff involved (including glitch and myself). Since we weren’t 100% certain of when everything would be wrapped up, we didn’t announce until we had all the components necessary to launch the event.

I apologize for the inconvenience this caused; I hope you’re still able to get everything you want!

Posted 10/28/18
Myla, thank you for the response. i know outside factors can sometimes put a wrench in things, i just wanted to state my opinion in case this was a new, intentional direction. it’s good to know hopefully i’ll get a heads up next time!
Posted 10/28/18
Is the temp shop gonna make an appearance this year? Even if there’s no new items, I’d love to pick up a few of the items from previous years. 8)c
Posted 10/28/18
Tamako Yes! The Halloween shop will appear on the 31st! :D
Posted 10/28/18
Yaaay! Thanks, Mrlr!
Posted 10/28/18

It’s been a while since I played Mycena, and I must be pretty tired but I can’t seem to find the board or the letters anywhere. Will they appear on the banner on their own or am I supposed to hunt them in every page ?

Posted 10/29/18

Fusida Collection-style events like these have a dedicated gathering page! If you click “Sorcery Spelltacular” on the event banner, it should take you to this page. Click the button that says “Collect,” and then click the shapes you see in the water on the collection image.

If it’s still unclear, feel free to echo me or ask again in this thread! :)

Posted 10/29/18

Fusida

There is a link in the banner that you have to click (it’s the name of the event), you then have to join into the event on that page that it leads you to (assuming you haven’t) - after which you should see a collect button, which is where you can collect letters every 15 minutes! 

I hope that clears it up for you, but feel free to ping me again if you need any more help! c:

Posted 10/29/18
Eluii Oooh, okay I get it. I clicked everything except that one, good old me… Thank you !!
Posted 10/29/18
Hopefully for Jessamyn’s Spellweaving minivent, the colors don’t have to match the site items that they’re connected to? I didn’t even realize until after my drawing was done that all of the ingredients are actual site items. >>;; I completely forgot that there was a heart blossom and a crystal of veracity OTL lol.
Posted 10/29/18
Tamako It’s fine if your descriptions/portrayals don’t match the site versions! :D
Posted 10/29/18
Thank goodness, haha. Thanks! <3
Posted 10/29/18

Shit, I totally forgot this was most likely going to happen. But without a concrete date, I totally blanked out to check more often knowing it *might* show up eventually.
I already missed the first phase of a forum event too ;___;

Man, I never start these events later than midnight of release… Hope I can still get everything. I guess that’s what happens when you are too busy for your own good…

Both pets look really sleek and are nice colors for customization, tho.
The Black Panther Spots and Potion Maker’s Belt are nice too.

Posted 10/29/18, edited 10/29/18

Akira
If it makes you feel any better, the first phase of that activity doesn’t count for participation purposes! Just for deciding which fungus will grow and which alternate palette the prize will have. You can still get full participation if you want to!

Posted 10/29/18

Is it possible we could have an option to toggle/hide banner notifications about receiving words? I have a saved notification and I always have mini heart attacks during these events, worrying that I’ll accidentally click too many times and erase my saved ones. ;;

(I have no idea why it didn’t occur to me to ask about this before lol)

Posted 10/29/18, edited 10/29/18
glitch I wasn’t sure but after checking, it doesn’t look like we are getting 1 min knocked off for -sending- words, just receiving them. I sent two words right after each other and I didn’t get the flavor text and my timer didn’t drop down.
Posted 10/30/18
Malis How long were your words? It doesn’t seem to tick down if they’re three letters or less, but I’ve had no problems with four letters and above
Posted 10/30/18
Hyasynthetic Ahh, that might have been it. I think I got caught by that last event too. You’d think I would remember…
Posted 10/30/18