14:50 ST
[Forum Game] Mycena Cave Cuisine Competition - Homey Edition [DISCUSSION TOPIC]
This is the Discussion Topic.

Don’t have much luck with puzzles, but enjoy cooking?

Have you been waiting to get your hands on a shiny Gold Medallion?

Then this might be the event for you!

Ohhhh tasties and nibbles and noms, chewies and eatings and chomps.
We have us such hungries, please feed us more crunchies!Staff’s Stomachs

This is the second edition of the Mycena Cave Cuisine Competition, an event which is all about food! For this event, you have to pick one of your favorite recipes in real life and Mycenify it. This means you could (but not limited to)...

• write a story about the dish,
  • draw the dish,
  • make the dish out of clay,
  • design a dance inspired by the dish,
  • and/or perhaps alter the ingredients slightly to be more Mycena Cave-esque.

The theme for this second edition is Homey, i.e. any dish that inspires a homey feeling in you. It’s intentionally left very broad — if you can justify to yourself why this dish feels homey to you, it qualifies! It’s solely meant as a source of inspiration, and not any sort of restriction.

You have until Sunday, December 6th at 23:59 ST to post your entry in the Recipe Submission Topic. In the following two weeks, voluntary staff members will nominate (AND more importantly, PREPARE AND EAT) recipes that appeal to them. There will also be a group of additional non-cooking (staff) Gourmet Experts to judge your creativity, and together we will pick a winning recipe from the nominees. The winning recipe earns its entrant a Gold Medallion!

But, rest assured, even if you do not win — all entries that meet minimum participation will receive 1 gem. For this event, minimum participation constitutes of posting the ingredients, instructions, showing you have made a clear effort to Mycenify it and giving us proof that you have made this recipe before. Proof can be in the shape of a photograph including your username in the picture, or alternately if you do not have access to a camera, providing another creative way that proves to us you have actually made the dish before. No submitting a recipe from allrecipes.com! -leers at-

Heads up!
  • Some of us live on a pretty tight budget and/or do not have the time for twelve hour recipes. Not all of us can afford caviar, and not all ingredients you are familiar with will be easily available in all countries :) Just something to keep in mind!
  • There are certain things some staff members cannot or will not eat. The list will be provided in this topic, but may be expanded throughout the event. Your recipe absolutely does not have to fit everyone’s preferences, however! We just want to be open and honest with regards to any biases.
    Myla - Pescatarian/Vegetarian recipes preferred.
    Firkasa - Recipes low on dairy, not too strong/rich in flavour.
    Amaterasu - No recipes containing eggplants.
    Prose - No tomatoes, not too many onions.
    Juney - No recipes containing alcohol.
    Ruori - No cashew or almond nuts.
    Hush - No walnuts or pork.

Voluntary Chef/Gourmet Expert Staff Members
- Myla
- glitch
- Juney
- Ruori
- Amaterasu
- Firkasa
- Hush
- Prose

WE CAN’T WAIT TO START TRYING YOUR DISHES :D Go go!

- Recipe: Ingredients
- Recipe: Instructions
- Creative: Mycenification
- Proof of Preparation

STAFF EDITION

Turns out, some of our staff cooks found themselves pretty bummed they couldn’t participate and submit recipes themselves. To fix this glaring miscalculation of our player edition, we will also hold a staff edition where you get to be the judge!

Staff members will submit their recipes in the Staff Recipe Submission Topic. As a judge, you get to vote for each staff recipe’s appeal and creativity. Optionally, if you want, you can also nominate specific staff recipes and vote for their taste as well. All your votes will be weighted, and together they will decide which staff submission wins!

Voting: After December 13th, a voting form will be made available to you (will be posted in this topic & linked to from the first post) where you can submit your votes for the staff submissions.

Nominating: Nominating a staff recipe is done by creating the dish, taking a picture or writing up a description of the process, and posting your nomination in the Staff Recipe Nomination Topic.

In short:

• Staff members submit recipes in the staff recipe submission topic.
  • YOU judge the staff submission appeal and creativity!
  • [Optional] YOU create the submitted staff recipes and additionally judge them on taste!
  • You may nominate and cook multiple staff recipes.
  • Multiple players may nominate and cook the same staff recipe.

Handy Links
Posted 11/22/15, edited 04/29/16
Are we limited to just one recipe? I realize extra recipes should not count towards gems nor a chance at a shiny medallion, but if we feel generous with sharing our recipes, are we allowed?
Posted 11/22/15
As I live in residence, I don’t have access to a stove. What do I do for proof of preparation, since I cannot, in fact, prepare the dish?
Posted 11/22/15

OregonCoast; Let me discuss that & get back to you!

Edit: Have discussed, we would ask you to please stick to one submission only. While it goes against our desire to eat all the things and we’d love for you to share more recipes, it’d be more fair and much less complicated if there is no confusion whatsoever about which recipe is your designated submission. That said, there will likely be more editions of the Cuisine Competition (..staff dearly loves food, and we have some passionate cooks on the team) and if all else fails, there is a player-made topic in Real World Discussions called “I like cooking, yes I do!” which I know for a fact is frequented by multiple players & staff ..-shifty eyes-

[@BrightEyedBeast]; As stated in the rules, you are welcome to come up with another creative way to prove you’ve prepared the dish before. I don’t want to dictate what would and wouldn’t be accepted, but if you have an idea, you’re welcome to come to me & ask before you put effort into it :) Last time I know at least one, if not multiple, recipes were accepted without a recent photograph of the dish, so it’s absolutely possible.

Posted 11/22/15, edited 11/22/15
This time Imma go for it! :D
Posted 11/22/15
I’m aware my recipe may make me the most hated person on this site, lol.
Posted 11/22/15
Kind of in the same boat as BrightEyedBeast in that I can’t actually cook anything at the moment. Perhaps just a rant of how delicious it is could count? That’s about all I can think of to do, so… x_x
Posted 11/22/15
What if you dont have exact quantities for ingredients? I’ve made my recipe so much that i can pretty much eyeball it. And in all honesty I never had an original recipe I really just went with what feels right if that even makes sense??
Posted 11/22/15

As LizzardFish, I also just eyeball my measurements. Would vague words like “a hint” or “a splash” or “a pinch” be okay?

Also, would it be alright if I just RP’ed the making of the dish with my Mycena pets? Similar to the Shimmer in the Waters cooking thing?

Posted 11/22/15, edited 11/22/15
I have the same problem as LizzardFish and Madara here. It’s mostly just “a bit of this and a bit of that and the result is tasty”. I’m not sure how to make it into a proper recipe.
Posted 11/23/15

BearHeart; Yay :D Looking forward to your entry!

cadpig; Ha, well, a lot of staff members have a love/hate relationship with chocolate and sugar c: There’ll be multiple recipes testing our weaknesses, I’m sure!

polygone; If you have an idea for a way to creatively prove to us that you’ve made your dish before & it’s not a recipe blatantly copied from the internet, feel free to contact me to check if it’ll meet the minimum requirements :)

LizzardFish, Madara, [@Bark]; While I see your point & I fully believe you’re capable of eyeballing your recipe to make it taste good for you, I’m afraid that’s not going to work for the staff that may cook your dish. If we don’t have estimates, we can’t judge what the dish would have tasted like for you, or guess how much pinches/hints/et cetera are relatively for you. You can submit a recipe with ‘eyeballed’ quantities, but I’m fairly certain it’s going to result in staff members ending up with failed dishes because, well, we’re simply not you, heh! I would strongly recommend adding some quantities for us to work with.

Posted 11/23/15

Juney
Will do! ...Soon as I figure out which delicious thing to enter, heh.

Posted 11/23/15

Juney
Okay :) Thanks for clearing it up. I believe I can guestimate my measurements. The recipes I have in my are things I’ve made previously. I’m a college student so I have no access to a kitchen for this event to figure exact measurements… I do have pictures though ^^ (I’m the kind of girl that takes too many pictures of her cooking…)

One more question… This was not specified in the staff preferences but…if I were planning to submit a recipe that was deathly spicy, would I lose ^^”?

I have 2 recipes in mind but the super spicy one is more “homey” to me.

Posted 11/23/15
Madara; Ha, well, no — there are plenty amongst the cookers who are willing to try spicy dishes as well, but you could always give suggestions for some of the ingredients that make it most spicy to be reduced or replaced for those that don’t like their dishes too spicy!
Posted 11/24/15
This is very exciting because I know just the recipe to use! :3 Now to just get home and make it. XD
Posted 11/24/15

i made banana bread.

and now i’m gonna eat it all no shame

i can’t wait to see all the recipes that people share that i’ll make and eat!!!

Posted 11/24/15

ahhh my recipe is complete (and was super tasty), now I just have to mycenify it. :D
(super sneak peak is hidden in one of my pet profiles if u nosey)

[@faith] That nanner bread recipe looks soo goood omg I’ll have to make it some day.

Posted 11/24/15, edited 11/24/15

Jacq
i’ve been making it for yeeeears. it’s not like a “practice it to perfect it”
it’s so easy and i love it. i’m glad that you’re interested! :D
heheheh also nanners

Posted 11/24/15

If our resipes don’t meet the criteria for any reason, will we be given a chance to alter/add to them?

I’m a little worried I didn’t quite “mycenify” mine appropriately.

Posted 11/25/15

Jacq + general reply: You’re welcome to check with me if you’re not sure if you meet the Mycenification requirement :)

& For you specifically, Jacq, not to worry - your entry is fine!

eeeeeee~ MANY EXCITE!! -vibrates- foooooooodnnggg *.* mad hopping around alla recipes

Posted 11/27/15, edited 11/27/15

Thanks for the response, Juney! I’m glad it meets all the criteria :D

(and I wanna eat so many of the recipes already posted. I was actually planning to make the broccoli pasta from the last competition tonight. FOOD IS SO EXCITING)

Posted 11/27/15
What if you have an older picture but recent picture of the finished food? I dont have the time or money(its not expensive really, but for me on the verge of paying my rent its a little eh) to make my recipe before the deadline.
Posted 11/27/15

Alright, uh, I have some pictures of this cooking and pre-oven bake, but nothing after that. And it got demolished. So. Uhhhhhh…can I just submit those pictures? 8D;;;;;

Edit: Just in case I wasn’t clear, I basically didn’t have any time to get a picture of the dish with my username on it, but I do have some pictures of the progress. Also sporadic, but I do have *some*. /Thanksgiving Kitchen Chaos

Posted 11/27/15, edited 11/27/15

LizzardFish, Lala

The same goes for you & everyone, really — all you have to do is prove that you’ve made the dish before, and that it isn’t a recipe carelessly plucked from the internet & copy/pasted onto your submission. If you have pictures of the steps or the finished product from months ago, that is okay — we’d prefer if you could take a picture with i.e. the utensils you used in the picture with your user ID/username in it as well (say, a slip of paper, the empty plate/bowl/etc., on the same kitchen counter surface as in the original picture), but we’re not going to be super strict about that.

It’s not meant as a hindrance, only as proof that it’s truly your dish :) You can be very creative in the way you show us that (as also seen in entries from the first edition)!

Posted 11/28/15, edited 11/28/15
[Event] Mycena Cave Cuisine Competition - Homey Edition [STAFF EDITION]

Turns out, some of our staff cooks found themselves pretty bummed they couldn’t participate and submit recipes themselves. To fix this glaring miscalculation of our player edition, we will also hold a staff edition where you get to be the judge!

Staff members will submit their recipes in the Staff Recipe Submission Topic. As a judge, you get to vote for each staff recipe’s appeal and creativity. Optionally, if you want, you can also nominate specific staff recipes and vote for their taste as well. All your votes will be weighted, and together they will decide which staff submission wins!

Voting: After December 12th, a voting form will be made available to you (will be posted in this topic & linked to from the first post) where you can submit your votes for the staff submissions.

Nominating: Nominating a staff recipe is done by creating the dish, taking a picture or writing up a description of the process, and posting your nomination in the Staff Recipe Nomination Topic.

In short:

• Staff members submit recipes in the staff recipe submission topic.
  • YOU judge the staff submission appeal and creativity!
  • [Optional] YOU create the submitted staff recipes and additionally judge them on taste!
  • You may nominate and cook multiple staff recipes.
  • Multiple players may nominate and cook the same staff recipe.

Handy Links
Posted 11/29/15, edited 11/29/15
oh ho ho ho ho ho i get to judge the judges >:]
Posted 11/29/15
There better be good recipes from staff or I might have to quit Mycena 5ever.
Posted 11/29/15

wiggles excitedly !!!

I sure hope they will be good :D -rubs hands for all the recipes *.*-

Posted 11/29/15
Submissions for the player competition are now closed.

Staff cookers have until Sunday, December 20th at 23:59 ST to nominate recipes. You can track their nominations in the Recipe Nomination Topic.

Additionally, the Staff Recipe Submissions are still open until Sunday, December 13th at 23:59 ST. Staff members can still post recipes for you to try in the Staff Recipe Submission Topic!

Players have until Sunday, December 27th at 23:59 ST to nominate staff recipes, which can be posted in the Staff Recipe Nomination Topic.

Posted 12/07/15
I missed the deadline again D: Ah, well there;s always next time!! Good luck!!!
Posted 12/12/15