18:11 ST
[Forum Game] Mycena Cave Cuisine Competition - Homey Edition [DISCUSSION TOPIC]
Hush baked my banana bread and it made me so happy to see that it made her feel nostalgic because I grew up on that stuff!! I almost cried ;w;
Posted 12/17/15
[@faith] - <3 My sister and I had an absolute blast making it and I shall have you know that my husband, who isn’t usually the keenest on bananas, is already prodding me to get more bananas to make another batch. :3c
Posted 12/17/15

Thank you for making my recipe, Firkasa! If you make it again the future, the salted butter is what cuts the sweetness down and makes it smoother since the salt won’t dissolve via creaming. Alternatively, you could add a bit of milk (1-2 tbsp) with the applesauce to cut down the sweetness (and add equivalent amount flour in the end).

I’ve found that a 1/8th batch is the best amount to make for one person.

Posted 12/19/15, edited 12/19/15
cadpig Thanks for the tips! I shall note them down for future attempts! :D
Posted 12/19/15
Overdue, but: Staff Recipe Submissions have closed!

Players have until December 27th at 23:59 ST to nominate staff dishes (none of you have dared so far ;3; b’aw!).

Additionally: Recipe Nominations close tonight!

Staff members have until December 20th at 23:59 ST to nominate player dishes.

Posted 12/20/15, edited 12/20/15

I’m planning to make glitch’s magic beans but I have to wait until my partner gets back from a trip (on the 22nd) because
1. More people to eat it.
2. Someone else to make jokes with regarding the aftermath

PS: Juney Thank you for making my doomfrogs! I laughed so hard at the thought of one lounging on a dough sofa (a dough-fa?), basking in the oven heat. I think you’re right that browning the sausage would work really well, especially if yours have a casing that gets all carmalized and tasty. :)
I have a tendancy to dump a lot of hot paprika in my dough because I love it so much. <.<
Another thing I often do to kick up the spice is dice some jalapenos up small (discarding the seeds), patting with paper towel, and adding that to the batter. It gives a nice flavour while the cooking process cuts down the heat a little, so it’s not overpowering.
TLDR; om nom nom nom nom

Jacq; Ooooh -chintap- ..that is something to consider with these leftover pepper bits from the Pork Larb, maybe *.*? Hmmm…
Thank you glitch for making my recipe! 8D I totally forgot to add that bit about coating, but yeah, that’s what we do haha. The whole batter step is relatively new, so we’re still fine-tuning it XD It was originally a mashed potatoes + chicken leftovers idea - our kids love the mashed potatoes (which is basically what the recipe boils down to), but the oldest is picky about leftovers so we came up with this to make them seem like a new meal (plus kid/toddler friendly, they love dipping them in ketchup). Now, we often just make these immediately rather than as leftovers. xD
Posted 12/20/15

So I made Ru’s Love Bento but I ONLY made the onigiri and tamagoyaki(and my own little side dishes). Is it fine to nominate it anyway?

Also, how do I format my nomination post? It’s a little confusing. Is there a scale you use to judge or do you just say “I nominate this dish”?

Posted 12/20/15

Gabriel; That’s plenty to nominate, yeah — especially because (if I understand it correctly) I do believe a bento is in the spirit of putting together your own combinations of side dishes c:

It’s the first time we’re doing the variation where staff also submit recipes & players get to nominate/cook/make them, so there isn’t really a predefined format (yet?). You can take a look at the way staff formats their nominations, and get inspired by that?

Ideally, I’d say list the staff member’s username, the recipe name, a link to the recipe submission, a little blurb about your experiences making the dish & what you thought of the taste, and a picture of your end result :D!

As for judging, let me grab a quick screenshot of what the grading form is going to look like. All players (all, including players who don’t nominate/make/cook anything) get to judge staff submissions based on appeal and creativity, but players who have nominated/made/cooked a dish also get to judge the taste of the dish.

The voting form will be going live tomorrow or the day after, I imagine!

Okay! Thanks, Juney<333
Posted 12/20/15

Gabriel YELLS EXCITEDLY EEEEEE * Q *
i’m so happy you had fun making your own bento <3 !!!
whispers your hello kitty lunch box is soooo cute omg

Posted 12/20/15
Recipe Nominations are now closed!

Staff will now proceed with tallying up votes, and a winner will be announced on December 28th!

Additionally: Player Grading has opened!

You still have a week to nominate/make/cook staff submissions, but voting for them has also opened up! All players (including those who have not / will not prepare any dishes) may now grade staff submissions! You are asked to vote for each recipe’s appeal and creativity, and for each recipe you have tried yourself, you may also grade its taste!

Please make sure you get your votes in by December 27th, 23:59 ST! A winner will be announced on December 28th!

You can find the voting form here: Player Grading Form!

Posted 12/21/15

Nobody wanted to make my cranberry sauce. :(

Oh, well… I’m making it again for Christmas because some family members of mine were upset that they weren’t there for the Thanksgiving batch. (Plus my roommate wants me to keep making it forever.) Y’all are missing out!

Posted 12/21/15
Tomorrow is the last day to nominate and vote for staff recipes!

Please keep in mind that you don’t have to cook any staff dishes to vote! We’d love to hear your thoughts on appeal and creativity for all of the staff submissions!

Additionally, this means we should be rounding up votes for both the player and staff competitions soon!

Posted 12/26/15, edited 12/26/15

I had every intention of making a few of the staff dishes but the holidays make it more difficult. I’ll make a grocery store run today and try to get at least one recipe sorted.

Sorry staff D:

Posted 12/26/15

So, I realize I didn’t put my username in any of my nomination photos. Is this a requirement or like, can we just assume everyone recognizes my tiny countertop and magenta espresso machine?

(ps: Prose Thank you so much for making my doomfroggies. I’m sorry the hot link was too hot! You must’ve used a poison dart frog instead of a doomfrog :o )

Posted 12/27/15
Jacq; Putting your username in the picture isn’t a hard requirement — showing us one way or another that it is a homemade recipe that you’ve made before/are acquainted with is just fine. It’s not hard science, in that sense; You’ve provided multiple (not meant derogatorily!) very much homemade pictures of the process, and that is sufficient proof. Even if you had, say, ripped your recipe and pictures off a food blogger’s post, you would’ve gone through a ton of effort just to get a recipe submitted that met the participation requirements ;)
Posted 12/27/15
Thanks Juney! I wasn’t sure because I was seeing usernames in the nomination thread (where we’re making other people’s recipes)... It seemed like it would be kind of hard to fake making another user’s homemade recipe, but then I kind of got worried because I made lots of substitutions and maybe it would be thought of as SHENANIGANS :s
Posted 12/27/15
Jacq; Ahah, nope — that’s quite alright! Not to worry c: It’s not meant as a ‘You don’t get a cookie! And you don’t get a cookie! And you also don’t get a cookie!’ at all. The requirement is only in place to make sure the submission pool isn’t skewed by players not willing to go through the effort of submitting a recipe of their own. We really wouldn’t want to prefer a recipe copy/pasted off the internet (because we didn’t know) over a homemade recipe & award them the title of ‘winner’; it just wouldn’t be fair to those that do stick to the spirit of the competition :) That’s all!
Posted 12/27/15, edited 12/27/15
I tried to make Juney’s pancakes but they didn’t work out. I don’t have access to a scale so I tried a couple websites for conversions and not a single batch worked. Now I’m out of flour so I can’t try again. They did look super tasty in the photos though! :(
Posted 12/27/15

Aw, I’m very sorry to hear that, cadpig. You’re very welcome to post it as a nomination either way — posting that the recipe didn’t work out is also a very legit attempt at the recipe!

I haven’t had issues converting myself so far, mm. I’ve mostly been using this page:
http://dish.allrecipes.com/cup-to-gram-conversions/

1 cup flour = 128gr of all-purpose flour
1 cup milk = 257ml milk

1:2 flour:milk with grams/ml, so 1 cup flour : 1 cup milk, approx. For every 150gr (little over a cup) flour, I recommended one egg. If you have any pics of the results you did get (i.e. too watery, too firm), maybe I could suggest tweaks :) (that is, if you would still want to try them for taste in the future — if it was just to participate, then not to worry at all of course!)

Edit: Oooh I just saw your nomination pop up! They do look a little on the thick side compared to mine (mine are 1-2 millimeters thick), but I have to say those final ones are pretty close! I use a lot less batter per pancake, so perhaps let the pan get a little hotter and then swirl the mix around fastttt when you pour it in? Perhaps I should have included pictures of that ha, but it would have been some magic juggling :D Maybe I can charter my mom to help with that, hmm.

ALSO YOUR PUPPY WITH THE PANCAKE !!! Eee~ That made my mom & I smile super big thank you so much ahahah!

I posted the for the novelty of putting a pancake on one of the dogs, lol! Cadpig (whom this account is named for) was not having it but the puppy was quite happy to sit still.

The batter was still really tasty, it was just not “right”. It was super thick even with a 2:1 ratio + 1 egg. I ended up just using 1:3 + 1 egg at the end.

Do they freeze well?

Edit: OH! Maybe that was it! I did use a lot of batter in the pan (like American pancakes). Next time I’ll use less and I’m sure they’ll brown up more nicely.

Yesss absolutely! They freeze wonderfully, if you let them defrost in the fridge overnight they’re as good as fresh when you take them out c: Though I would recommend putting a little cling film in between the amounts you would eat in one go, to make sure you can separate them out when they’re frozen! (I.e. Cling film between every 2-3.)

And ah, well, the batter isn’t supposed to be thick — it’ll be very liquidy! And that’s quite alright, as the the baking makes ‘em solid right through. Ha, such a learning experience, should have included much more detail. Sorry about that!!

Posted 12/27/15
I’m a terrible cook so it’s not your fault, lol! I’ll definitely try this recipe again in the future with your tips! Even though I messed up it was still tasty too. That can’t be said for a lot of recipes. :D
Posted 12/27/15

Ahh well, next time I make them, if I remember, I’ll try to get a few pictures more up close of the thickness of the batter in the pan, the swirling around, and the thickness of the pancake afterwards.

Here’s an example of the thickness I end up with usually: click!

...and as I’m showing you that, I realise I.. may not even have mentioned that we tend to eat them with powdered sugar or syrup? Hmm. I only focused on the cheese and bacon I think? Ahah! Oops >> (Checked: I did put it in as a suggestion but didn’t really emphasise it. Well. Phew :P)

I love the idea that they can be both! That was my favorite part of the recipe. I don’t have a lot of time so being able to make pieces like this and use them lots of ways is very valuable to me.

Yep, I totally dumped WAY too much batter in.

Posted 12/27/15
The results are in!

The Cuisine Competition proves to be a neck-and-neck race once again, to the point where our panel of 10 staff judges couldn’t choose one final winner: The Mycena Cave Cuisine Competition - Homey Edition has resulted in a tie!

A tip of the grading process veil has been lifted, as the staff judging panel judges your entries the exact same way you have judged theirs. A grade is given by every judge for each dish’s appeal, creativity, and if applicable, taste. Grades given by judges who have cooked a dish weigh a little heavier, and together the average of all given grades is taken to decide who wins.

And now the time has come for the announcement of the winners…

*drumroll*

Each with an outstanding score of 2.806 out of 3, the winners of the Mycena Cave Cuisine Competition - Homey Edition are…

Jacq and Ally!

Runner’s up with scores of at most .3 below the winning score were Hina, Miranda and Dracogryph.

Thank you all so much for participating! The winners will each be receiving a Gold Medallion, and those who have not won will be receiving a gem for their participation. Our panel of judges (and their bellies, rumbling & roaring in support of their owners’ voices) loved your entries & many have already been tried for a second time, mmm!

But all is not over yet…

You have also judged the staff submissions, and your grades have also carefully been tallied to see which staff submitted recipe was your favorite!

*drumroll*

With a score of 2.67 out of 3, the winner of the Mycena Cave Cuisine Competition - Homey [Staff] Edition is…

Ruori takes the honor of having the most appealing, most creative and most tasty recipe submitted for the Homey Edition by all staff members, as voted by the Mycena Cave players. Congratulations!

(And goodness, you are a critical panel, player judges! On the whole, your grades were significantly lower than ours! Either that, the staff recipes were just that much less appealing/creative/tasty, or the staff judging panel is a little overly fond of food, hmm..)

Posted 12/28/15
CONGRATS TO THE WINNERS AHHHHHH
Posted 12/28/15

*dies*

edit; I’m so glad you liked my food thank you eeeeeee <3
Congrats to Ruori and Ally! You two deserve it so much for your great dishes and all the hard work you put into the contest <3 <3!!

Posted 12/28/15, edited 12/28/15