16:20 ST
[EVENT] Soup, Stones, and Snakes (July 25th - Aug 25th)
hey, just a little feedback on the steins game: the rng factor of it, on top of the unforgiving amount of liters you need to qualify for a runestone (which resets each day), is pretty bad, imo? you pretty much have to be lucky enough to win eight perfect rounds while contending with pure chance, and then hope that the next two rounds are enough to equal that final liter you need. on top of the fact that it resets every day (from what i’m seeing), i haven’t won anything out of this game whatsoever, and i don’t think i ever really… will? it’s kind of awful, if i can be brutally honest. :( definitely something that needs some balancing.
Posted 07/27/21
Unless there’s some strategy to winning this stein game, I don’t think I’ll ever win it OTL
Posted 07/27/21
I’m just catching up on messages, but a couple of quick updates:
  • glitch should be getting the game drops in today, he didn’t have time to finish it last night
  • we’ll be making the event game rollovers consistent with each other tonight as well, as I think one of them rolls over at midnight and the other two at noon
  • submission form for into the unknown will likely go up on Thursday and I will ping those who have already posted something so they don’t miss out on that going up
  • we’ll be adjusting the color of the snish portal/holes to make them more visible tonight
  • snish and bumbleberry brew difficulty will likely need to be altered, we want a bit more data so we only have to make an adjustment once
  • If you’re having trouble getting a game to work, it’s likely due to a browser extension of some sort. Disabling browser extensions and checking the game again is a good way to see if that’s the case. Unfortunately, if it’s a browser extension issue, it’s something that needs to be fixed on the player end and there isn’t much we can do on ours. (WindyFox if you’ve already tried disabling your extensions, glitch will have time to look into your issue tonight to see if he can find anything)

Thank you for your patience as we make these updates and fixes, and we hope you’re enjoying the event so far! <33

Posted 07/27/21, edited 07/27/21
I’m very glad you’re thinking of altering the snish game in particular. I am horrible at any snake games, so I’ve just sort of given up at this point. But also thank you for thinking about the bumbleberry brew one too.
Posted 07/27/21
Myla Yeah, I’m still having the same issue, despite trying everything that was suggested. :(
Posted 07/27/21
Hi WindyFox — I’ve cleared your game state for Bumbleberry Brew, so you should be good to go :) I’m not sure how the game got stuck the way it was for you, but if it happens again please let me know, along with any details of the circumstances that seem relevant. Thanks, and sorry about that!
Posted 07/27/21

Glitch pushed a few updates tonight:

• Game drops are implemented
  • All event games rollover at midnight now
  • Snish portal holes have increased contrast with outlines

Also, the shop is now open as is the point buy!

Posted 07/28/21
glitch Yay! Thank you so much! :D Everything appears to be working normally now: I was able to play 10 rounds without any errors.
Posted 07/28/21

If I can offer a suggestion on the Snish design, please remove the border on Level 1!

The game should reward people that are patient enough to play at the slow movement to accumulate points or incentive to warp back levels. I’ve spent so much time (unsuccessfully) on the last level and I keep wishing I could go back to Level 1 to get my last 15 points instead of speeding to certain death lol

Posted 07/28/21
It’d be really great if we could use WASD for snish, my left hand is my Gaming Hand and I feel like its reflexes with quick movements like you need for snish are better :‘D Ultimately though I’m just pretty frustrated with both bumbleberry brew and snish since they’re both pretty unforgiving, especially without a pause button, but I have been having fun with the concept of snish :>
Posted 07/28/21

Honestly I kinda like the flow of Snish, and I like the Bumbleberry Brew game, but it feels like it’s too hard to actually succeed at them. I think it would be good if the threshold for winning and getting a point was lower. Perhaps it could be like 100 or 150 for Snish (the highest I’ve got is like… 105) and 7 or 8 for the Bumbleberry Brew game (my highest score was like 6.7 I think). I don’t think it should be too low, since that would make the games *too* easy, especially with the fact that each point seems to be worth a lot (and should therefore take some effort), but maybe just adjust it so that it isn’t so frustrating. I think it should also be kept in mind that the event is supposed to last a month, and so it’s likely that if someone plays everyday, they’ll win at least a few times due to sheer luck (at least for the brew guessing game… Snish not so much). However, I don’t know if I would even care to play the games everyday for a month if I kept losing in the beginning.

Also seconding the pause button on Snish, it would improve it a lot. I dislike that I have to try to do the whole game in one fell swoop without being able to pause it for a second if I get too on edge/shaky.

I haven’t done any of the forum events yet so nothing to comment on there.

Also I would like to comment that the items look really neat and I love the whole aesthetic of the event.

Posted 07/28/21

I agree with everyone commenting on the difficulty of Snish and Bumbleberry Brew. With the latter, I’ve usually lost after the second guess, and while I get that I’m probably below average at Snake, my current high score on Snish is around 60, so I’m not exactly excited about trying to reach 200 and am probably just gonna forgo those runestones completely.

On another note, I love that there are so many different ways of earning runestones, and I’m very grateful for the length of the event! I have a lot of other things happening nowadays, so I’m glad I can have a fairly casual approach to MC and not have to worry too much about missing out. The items and lore are really cool too!

Posted 07/29/21

Seconding the criticism for bumbleberry brew and snish scoring… I don’t know who thought a length of 200 or 9 liters was anywhere near reasonable.

I play on mobile, and I have yet to hit even a length of 20 on snish because the game is very slow, time-consuming, clumsy to play, and unrewarding.

Bumbleberry brew is easy to knock out for the day, but once you’ve done your 10 skeins, that’s it, too bad for you if you guessed more than one or two wrong. It might be okay if you could play infinitely with the goal of getting 9/10 in any given set of 10, because then you could at least beat the RNG through persistence, but then it would also become a slow and boring game to grind. I would recommend lowering the win condition to 7 liters.

Posted 07/29/21
A few more updates!
  • Into the Unknown submission form is up (ping to those who have posted one: RhymenopeTeslaPurrAdarisDeepRiver1995)
  • Snake now has WASD controls in addition to the arrow keys
  • A fix was pushed on Wed to the peaceful/fight selection in the Adventure (the peaceful/fight options were accidentally swapped for a little bit)

Still to come are the bumbleberry brew and snake data crunching so that we can see how we should adjust the win conditions. I expect that will be on Sunday. Thank you to everyone who has given feedback!

Posted 07/31/21
Ooh thanks for the heads up!
Posted 07/31/21

glitch had some time to look over the data this morning and has updated the the win conditions of two of the games:

• Bumbleberry Brew has been lowered to 8L (was previously 9L)
  • Snish has been lowered to 130 (was previously 200)

We’ll continue to keep our eye on things to make sure those are better goals!

Posted 07/31/21
Thanks for the Bumbleberry changes! Can there be a cap for the stein value at like 1,000 or something? I lost today cuz I chose a stein with 1,000 but the winning stein had 2,000+ lol (I think I’ve seen one at 5,000+ which would give you a really low score if you selected a stein before it since most of the winning steins I get are around 400-500)
Posted 07/31/21, edited 07/31/21

seconding sherushi’s request. it’s incredibly difficult to develop any skill or sense for the game when one game can look like this:

and the next game looks like this:

i understand there’s supposed to be a degree of random chance, in order to keep the game interesting, but the current level of variation in the max stein size is so enormous as to be frustrating.

Posted 07/31/21
Thirding the request for a cap to numbers. Losing a round from picking a mug with a thousand because there was one with six thousand is very disheartening.
Posted 07/31/21
Can we keep some sort of memory card game after the event? It would be nice to have it as another type of game to go to every now and again like gemble or mycelium to mix things up. Also I love the plant art. ^^ I find myself playing it a couple times a day even though I’m not earning anything from it right now.
Posted 07/31/21
I also LOVE the memory game and would adore having it stick around! <3
Posted 08/01/21

@Nonnavlis @Raus
i also would want to have the memory game to earn nuggets. <3

Posted 08/01/21
Hello~! I was curious if we could maybe use templates from, say, the Sign-In station for use on pet profiles? I like how neat and tidy the template looks. :D If not, then completely understandable! Thank you!
Posted 08/03/21
yeah, the difficulty level on bumbleberry brew due to the discrepancies of the steins is… really awful, still. maybe that would make the 8 L requirement feel less daunting, because as of now, it still feels like so much.
Posted 08/03/21

The memory game would likely be one that wouldn’t be too difficult to develop as a site game. I find that one the most relaxing/satisfying to spend time doing out of the three so I’d love that too. :D One of the questions we’ll ask in the feedback form is which games we should focus on making into site games + what changes need to be made to make them better and that will help us gauge priorities.

When looking at the data for Bumbleberry Brew, lowering the total liters required for the win condition was a straightforward and quick way of reliably increasing the win rate for the game. I can understand the frustration with the wide variation in range found on the different boards since it makes things unpredictable and harder to use a strategy-based approach. Bumbleberry Brew has a few different tiers of numbers, and the tier the number is in corresponds to the likelihood it will show up on the board. Higher numbers are rarer which is why it’s not common to have a board where you have an extremely high number, but the chance that one could show up is currently a big part of the mechanics.

This is definitely something we can take it into consideration for future iterations of the game and we will continue to monitor the data for Bumbleberry Brew as the event proceeds to assess the current win condition’s feasibility/accessibility. While we can adjust parameters such as the threshold for credit while the game is ongoing, we will not be making changes to the fundamental structure of the game itself. Adjusting game mechanics is also something that needs to be tested to a significant degree, and so is not a viable change in the middle of an event. Doing so would also significantly reduce any benefit of the experiment itself, in that we would not be able to use the play data to draw any useful inferences for future incarnations of this game.

Acydosis Feel free to use the template anywhere on site! Off site is fine too, though credit back to Mycena Cave is appreciated.

Posted 08/03/21

Lowering the win requirement from 9 to 8 hasn’t done me any good when I still can only scratch 7 liters on a good day, lol.

I don’t have time to participate in the sections of this event that require art/writing, which is most of them, so it’s really extra frustrating that my only other options are a memory game that was done after the first three days, a snake clone that I can’t play nearly well enough on mobile to earn fragments, and a gambling game that I lose every day. I basically can’t participate in this event, even though I want to.

Posted 08/07/21

If anyone is still having trouble with Bumbleberry Brew*, here’s a fairly naive strategy that works decently well - I think the winrate is well over 50% (anecdotally I believe it’s about 80%) but I haven’t tested it thoroughly, so take that with a grain of salt.

Go down the list as you check steins - if the quantity is greater than the listed cutoff below, keep the stein. (For example, if you first stein is 900 and your second stein is 800, you should keep the second stein - 900 < 1000 but 800 > 782.)

1. 1000
2. 782
3. 569
4. 447

5. 362
6. 298
7. 245
8. 200

9. 160
10. 125
11. 92

The cutoffs are pretty arbitrary and could definitely be improved, but they work reasonably well so I didn’t refine them much further after I got a decent success rate. I think it is very much possible to do better by applying more complicated logic, but I can’t speak to how effective that is.

Questions/comments/improvements are welcome. (Also, if you use this strategy, I’d welcome additional information about the winrate! If it’s worse than I thought, I’ll look into improving it.)

*I had around a 0/8 winrate before I decided I was sufficiently sick of losing every day :P

Posted 08/08/21
Stanari I wish I had your strategy these past few days. I managed to luck out yesterday before you posted and got my third day, but I tried it with your strategy just after rollover and lo and behold I was able to get 9 liters hah. My luck, it was the first time I’d gotten 9 liters at all. The one time I deviated based on my instincts while using the strategy, I was dead wrong, which was kind of funny.
Posted 08/09/21
raus Aww, sorry I wasn’t able to make it earlier then haha! I’m glad it worked for you (9L is still pretty lucky in my experience though lol).
Posted 08/09/21
I got really excited thinking that a proper strategy like this would finally do the trick, but I still only got 7 liters ú_ù Maybe tomorrow.
Posted 08/09/21