14:31 ST
[Crafting Updates] Expansions and additions!
Crafting Updates

“Friends, neighbors,” Professor Sprocket announces, sweeping his arms in a grand gesture at the crowd that’s gathered before his makeshift stage. Murmurs of confusion, of skepticism undulate through the audience:

”This again?”

“Last time he did this, didn’t he, like, want to take over the Cave or something?”

“Isn’t someone supposed to be watching him?”

Aliza, standing with her arms crossed and cap tipped down at the other side of the stage, bristles slightly, but stays out of it.

Other than a slight twitch at one corner of his wide grin, Sprocket appears unperturbed. He continues, “I’ve gathered y’all here today for one reason: to apologize.” He removes his hat, holding it close to his chest as he bobs his head in a very clearly practiced show of contrition. He holds that for a moment, waits for the first hesitant we forgive you to rise from the crowd, and then flips the hat back onto his head and spreads his arms, motioning to something hidden under the large tarp behind him.

And t’ unveil the greatest invention the Cave has ever seen!” With another sweeping motion, he pulls the tarp free to reveal a large contraption. “Introducin’, the fantastic, the wondrous Combinabulator! That’s right, folks, this here contraption does it all—craftin’, combinabulatin’, recipe organizationin’. Just select your recipe, insert the required components up in this end, then hit a few buttons and a whole new thing’ll pop right out that other side there.”

The crowd is near-silent, but there is a vague, nervous energy in the air. Something between excitement and apprehension. Sprocket takes a moment to soak it in—looks as though he may as well be immersed in applause—before continuing.

“Now, now, folks; contain your excitement.” A few uncertain murmurs rumble from the crowd. “I know what y’all are thinkin’—and, no, there ain’t no scheme, and there’s an almost ninety-six percent chance that it won’t gain sentience and turn evil. This here’s the new Professor Sprocket talkin’—modest, everyday Mycenian citizen. Honest work for honest folk.”

He makes one final sweeping motion, beckoning the audience to come closer. “Come on up, take a look for yourselves! This here’s a public installation—free t’ use for everyone!”

Crafting updates
  • The crafting page has moved from the obscure tab in players’ inventories to the main menu (Places > Combinabulator)
  • Fishing has been expanded with new components:
    • Jellyfish
    • Ghost Knifefish
    • River Ray
    • Water Lily
    • Fish Hook
    • Iridescent coral
    • Pearl
    • Pond Water
    • Net
    • Pond Squid Ink
    • Rockstar Bass
    • We’re still working on the texts for these new fishing items, so they currently appear as “null” - you’ll still get the item as normal, and we hope to have proper texts in place soon!
  • More fishing fail texts were added
  • More recipes were added and players can now create the following items through crafting:
    • Mushroom Grove Background
    • Rainbow Bowtie
    • Rainbow Tie
    • Dancing Dandelions
    • Tricorn Hat
    • Pages Aflame
    • Light from Outside the Cave
    • Fancy Fish
    • Moonbow Background
    • Bonefish
    • Moonlight Rays
    • Tiny Jellyfish Swarm
    • Black Sea Wave Circlet
    • Bronze Sea Wave Circlet
    • Rainbow Magic Streak
    • Golden Magic Streak
    • Ghostly Floating Candles
    • Black Floating Candles
    • Walnut Anklets
    • Ebony Anklets
    • Iridescent Anklets
    • Prismatic Neck Bow
    • Prismatic Tail Bow
    • Ominous Clouds
    • Dusk Sky Background
    • Dawn Sky Background
    • Ominous Sky Background
    • Hip Cobalt Blue Scarf
    • Hip Colbalt Blue Legwarmers
    • Shadowy Mage Scarf
    • White Chanfron
    • Black Chanfron
    • Hacker Side Splash Wig
    • Enchanted Pink Gaze
    • Enchanted Mint Gaze
    • Enchanted Lavender Gaze
    • Enchanted Apricot Gaze
    • Enchanted Dark Brown Gaze
    • Enchanted Icy Gaze
    • Floating Lilies
  • Random encounters, a new mechanic, was added, and players can acquire certain recipe components through random encounters:
    • Fabric scrap
    • Torn incantation
    • Matches
    • Bottled cloud
    • Unmagical sprout
    • Cooking herbs
    • Looking glass shard
  • Management interfaces for fishing and encounters were added for staff to make it easy to update

As a note, we’re working on a better display for the Combinabulator page; we know it’s not easy to sift through the recipes right now. Also, since there’s been such a long wait for the new crafting items to be released, we decided to make all of the new recipes common recipes so that they’re immediately accessible to everyone. However, we do plan on adding to the secret recipe collection in the future, so hang on to those recipe bottles!

More about random encounters

Starting now, there’s a chance our NPCs will stop by and offer you a gift! When this happens, the banner at the top of the page will be replaced with a notification. The notification will remain until you accept or reject the gift, and they won’t stack. This means that you won’t get another encounter until you accept or dismiss the current one.

For now, it’s only the new components, but the system is fairly complex and flexible and we’ll be using it for a lot more in the future.

We hope you enjoy the updates! A big thanks to glitch for all of the coding work he did, Loon for doing a lot of the art for the additions, staff and players for recipe and item ideas, and to the coordinator team for helping with all the flavor texts, spreadsheets, and logistics of the update!

Posted 04/08/21, edited 04/12/21

AAAAAAAAAAA I’M SO EXCITED!!!!!! ;;;;;0;;;;;;  so many beautiful items to craft…....

also I’m SO hype about the random encounters!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can’t wait to see some friends pop up!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted 04/08/21

IM DYING OF EXCITE THIS TRULY IS THE BEST OF DAYS

WORK WAS GOOD, I GOT FREE DRINK, SPROUT GROWS TOMORROW, AND CRAFTING IS HERE SO I CAN FINALLY MAKE TAMSI’S ALT OUTFIT FOR REALSIES. GOOD BEANS.

Posted 04/08/21
I’m! So! Excited!!! Aaaaaaaaa :D :D :D
Posted 04/08/21

IM SO EXCITED!!! THIS IS GONNA BE AWESOME!!

RANDOM ENCOUNTERS!!

I CANT WAIT TO CONTINUE TO WANDER AROUND PPLS PROFILES AND GET REWARDED WITH LIL TRINKETS FOR IT

Posted 04/08/21
I’m very excited!!!
Posted 04/08/21
Oh this is amazing! Thank you for your hard work!
Posted 04/08/21

SPROCK YOU WACKY DUDE WHAT WILL YOU COME UP WITH NEXT

ahhh super excite for everything listed in here <3

Posted 04/08/21
Oh this is all huge! What an insane amount of work, thanks to everyone involved. I’m super excited about this :D
Posted 04/08/21
Wow, this looks amazing!! Thank you so much for all the hard work that went into this! <3
Posted 04/09/21
AAAAAAAAAAAA SO EXCITE! Especially love the random encounters! Thank you for all your hard work!
Posted 04/09/21
Aaa this is so coool :D Can’t wait to craft all the pretty things!
Posted 04/09/21
Oh I wondered why I got a new fish today. :3 This looks awesome!
Posted 04/09/21
FINALLY THE RELEASE OF THE DARK BROWN GAZE !!
Posted 04/09/21
I’m incredibly excited to see this released! I saw some of the new fishing fail texts this morning and got a good laugh. Can’t wait to actually make some new recipes! Thanks to all the staff who invested the hard work to get this completed. <3
Posted 04/09/21
YESSSS SKY BACKGROUNDS<3333
Posted 04/09/21

I know this has been a lot of hard work for you guys so THANK YOU!

Scarlet can finally get her ominous clouds background! ;w;

Posted 04/09/21
So fancy and exciting!!! Thanks for your hard work team!!!! <3
Posted 04/12/21

Sorry for the late reply, but I can’t wait to get a new fishing fish! I wondered why I got a Rockstar Bass earlier XD
Anyway, YAY!!! RANDOM ENCOUNTER = ME HAPPY!!! mE LiKe frEE PriZEs 0_o

Posted 04/19/21
I also love the random encounters. It fun to see things like that pop up while I’m browsing the site.
Posted 04/19/21
They are especially nice while doing this event, since you are likely clicking around while you wait!
Posted 04/19/21
oooh so thats what all those random events things I found was about… Nice!
Posted 04/25/21