00:34 ST
[EVENT] Letters from the Lost (October 31st - November 14th)
The new event coats and items are really well done this year. I need everything!
Posted 10/29/17
Updates
  • The event is now LIVE!  Whoo hoo! Start collecting those letters!
  • Letters from the Lost event forum is up! Feel free to create event-related threads here!  Make sure you unfilter this forum from your recent posts if you want to see what everyone is up to!
  • The Fairgrounds located in the event forum is now open! While you’re waiting for your timer to count down, come and play some of the games that Mabel has prepared for you! :) There are prizes to be had, including the avatar background Ghostly Gathering, which is exclusive to the Fairgrounds games.
Posted 10/31/17, edited 10/31/17

WOOO HOOO

omg I wish that cat pouch was an equippable item. It’s so cute *u*
pet potato sack plush plz

Posted 10/31/17
I just wanted to say that the Mycenian spotlight for today of all days is absolutely perfect. Such aesthetique~
Posted 10/31/17
I see that the Toad Pouch includes both coats in the list of items. Does this mean we can possibly receive a pet when we open the Toad Pouches, or can we only receive a pet directly by purchasing it? Either way I like the ability to buy the pet and not just the shrooms!
Posted 10/31/17
raus Opening a toad pouch will result in obtaining a mushroom!  You can only get the pet by getting it directly for the more expensive price. I hope that clears things up! :)
Posted 10/31/17

I’m so impressed that the link on the wordsmithing page zoops directly to my word find post. Glitch is obv. working his black magic again. OwO

The timing of this event is a little bad for me, but I love the goodies and I look forward to losing all my nuggies buying extras! And also LOVE the spiderwebs and the lantern in the special shop. I’m happy to see Moonlight Collection back :D (I wasn’t totally sure what was going to happen with the event shops when it was announced that older event items would not be reappearing in current events any longer, so I’m happy the shops are back and cheapish too!).

Posted 10/31/17, edited 10/31/17
Myla I figured that would be the case. Thank you!
Posted 10/31/17

Love this event, haven’t had much energy to provide feedback so haven’t said much but it’s good.

glitch I think the event may be glitched on iOS. I can do everything fine except send words. When typing pet names to send to, no pet names ever appear, making it impossible to send. Safari, iOS 9.3.5.  Chrome on my Android works fine, though.

Posted 10/31/17
Vely  glitch was fiddling around and broke the search for a few minutes.  It should be fixed now; you may need to refresh!
Posted 10/31/17
Myla Oh, thanks! I guess it was coincidence I was on my ipod then.
Posted 11/01/17

I did this as a joke but it actually went through and I am laughing xD I’m not even mad that I got rid of my letters I was going to use for “billow” or “cowl” lmao

Posted 11/01/17

I think that my event might have some kind of glitch??^^’ I might just be missing something but after I click explore it’s just a completely blank page with the “Please collect 3 wisps.” at the top. It seems like their should be an image underneath but nothing loads, I have tried the page both on my tablet and phone but nothing happens.
Am I supposed to go somewhere else after I click explore or is their supposed to be an image?

Posted 11/01/17
I have this same problem not sure if I’m doing something wrong.
Posted 11/01/17

It doesn’t work on my phone (Samsung Internet) either - it keeps telling me “patience, sprout… 0min 00sec left”, and when I click on explore, there’s a blank page.
However, I’ve already received a couple of words :)

Posted 11/01/17

For everyone having the same issues I discovered it works on Google Chrome! !:)
Just not Samsung Internet for now

Posted 11/01/17
Zhar I only use chrome but am still having the same issues as you :( [on mobile only]
Posted 11/01/17, edited 11/01/17
I’m on an S8, Google Chrome and not getting the send word timer reduction occasionally?
Posted 11/01/17
Lala It may not be the case here, but just a general reminder that only words with 4 or more letters will give a timer reduction! I actually forgot that myself and was confused for a bit haha. :D
Posted 11/01/17

Dove

Definitely the case for the last one! I hadn’t realized because I thought I was getting timer reductions for all things sent to me? I’ve been on my phone for this event so I’m not really at a scale that notices what my notifications actually say. <o<

Posted 11/01/17

how is unamused not a valid word

its literally a word
its in the oxford dictonary

Posted 11/02/17

Dove
Would we be able to create a trading (have/want thread) for the items from this event in the event forum or would it have to be in the trading post?

Posted 11/02/17

Tsuzemi
I don’t see why you couldn’t create a thread like that in the event forum! Keep in mind, of course, that the forum won’t stick around forever and eventually it will take the thread with it.

Posted 11/02/17
it keeps telling me “patience, sprout… 0min 00sec left”, and when I click on explore, there’s a blank page.

Chrome, Windows 7, issue just appeared in the past 20ish minutes. Everything works fine on mobile, but on PC now the timer has stopped automatically going down and only updates when I refresh the page. I cannot move or use letters on PC.

Also cannot click on pouches to view contents/prices at Griselda’s Cottage.

Posted 11/02/17, edited 11/02/17
I’m getting really annoyed with the sheer amount of words that don’t work. I’ve had so many. Like just now I tried aversive but it wouldn’t let me. I even googled to make sure I had spelled it right and it was in fact a word.
Posted 11/03/17

I feel like that every evernt (or with spellstones haha). Normally I just shake my head at the vast and complex beauty that is English morphology.

But then it told me “moa” wasn’t a word. :(

Posted 11/03/17, edited 11/03/17
Vely

This is by far my favorite phenomenon during events like this.  Also having autumn be one of the special game words? I’m sure my Autumn can’t be the only one getting a ton of ‘autumn’s. :’>

Posted 11/03/17

Hey so… How come the prices were raised so much? I’m just curious because I’m currently averaging like ~275 charms a day and I want to buy the pets outright because I have trouble affording fodder. But if I’m averaging that I would barely be able to get two of the pets, like one of each? And I definitely wouldn’t have enough for the items i want because I won’t be on all day every day next week… Just seems a little unfair and tough, in my opinion!

I don’t mean to hate or sound whiny about the decision or anything but I’d love to have at least one of each pet + some items! I’d say that’s not unreasonable? Besides, since the two poses for each pet are so different, I’m sure a lot of people would want four pets!

Could be that I’m just at a low average since I don’t see anyone talking about the prices…

Posted 11/03/17

Everything on Chrome seems to work again today, so not sure if that was my end or an event blip, but glad things work again ^^

In general, I want to say that I really like the option to purchase a pet outright with currency instead of a mushroom! But I’d also love an indicator that you can’t get a pet out of a bag, because that was my first impression and I wouldn’t have known otherwise if I didn’t take the time to glance at the forums (which I don’t always do). I definitely appreciate the relief on my nugget savings, though.

Hawkins

Hah! I noticed people sending those words and thought hmm… I should post a thank you in the forums. Especially ice, icy, icier… perfect order.

Gabriel

Prices are definitely higher than the last event and other events I remember. I don’t straight up recall the last letters event, but I’m pretty sure the Moon Phase mushroom was only like 1800 currency last fall, and that was the expensive and rare one. I could be misremembering, though. But that’s sitting around 100k nuggets right now on the Bazaar.

I don’t think you’re at a low average, I’m at around 150 charms a day. I might be able to get more over the weekends, not sure. I have a full time job, and I’m trying to gather letters whenever I have a break and reliably over weekday evenings while I’m working on something else, including taking a moment away from Overwatch when I get a moment and the timer dings. But even with keeping a tab open during all my free time, that’s 2250 charms, though not including extra I may get over the weekends. And that’s if I participate more over weekends; I want to spend my time drawing and doing things without a timer, and I’m already spending hours on the computer with the timer.

I’m aiming to get one of each coat plus a couple items, but I might not get so lucky. It feels like I have to invest more time than I can just to get the Twelfth Hour coat, which feels stressful. I feel like I need to be on MC all of my free time if I want that coat outright instead of gambling on the bag, and that’s with nothing else. And I’d love four pets too because they’re so different, it’s like four different coats, but I’ve already accepted that as an impossibility.

I might be feeling the stress of the event more now because I haven’t had a job during a timer event before, but I don’t even want a lot of items, just two pets and a few of the tattered items. I think people aren’t talking about it because it is expected to not be able to get everything you want from an event, especially mushrooms.

I have a lot of free time for someone with a full time job, and I still might not be able to get the Twelfth Hour coat, or might be able to get that but little else. And I understand making things so that people can’t get everything; after all, I could buy things. But I feel like the Twelfth Hour coat, at least, is just really expensive. I would need 16 days with roughly 4-5 hours of free time each day to spend with a tab open for MC in order to buy just that coat, unless I wanted to gamble on the bags. (Which is the amount of time I am currently spending, I think, counting my work breaks.)

I guess this is a bit rambly, and I also don’t want to sound whiny! I love the event and think it and the coats are fantastic, and I am hopeful (and maybe too optimistic) that keeping a tab open on weekends will be enough to get both coats (or the Twelfth Hour coat and a bag). But now that I’ve looked at the potentially impossible time investment just to get the Twelfth Hour coat, it’s a little stressful.

Posted 11/03/17

Like Gabriel, I was a little surprised at the price hike. Since I was already planning to buy items with nuggets I was trying to work out the far trade value, and here’s the dirty/napkin math I was working with.

Price of a guaranteed ineki mushroom: 950 charms (via toad bag)
Price of pet directly: 2375 (Dras); 1583 (Ineki) charms
Difference in coats: 792 charms
Price of Fodder: 7g / 25,200 nuggets
Price of pet directly, minus price of “mushroom” (ie toad bag): 1425 (Dras); 633 (Ineki) charms.
** this is the cost of “fodder” in charms.

Given these known prices, we can see the event shop is valuing charms (at a ceiling / highest price) at about 40 nuggets each: (Cost of fodder) / [(cost of dead of the night pet) - (cost of dead of the night mushroom via toad bag)] or 25,200 / 633.

Using that conversion, the intended cost of the pets is between 63,200 nuggets (for fodder + toad bag), or 63,320 (to buy the dras directly.) The closeness of those numbers seems pretty intentional. (of course, this doesn’t account for LOADS of stuff - like the rarity differences, the relative scarcity of charms compared to other events, the huge differences in the price of the different pets). But tbh, I’m not really into either coat this time, and I was trying to figure this out to see how many nuggets I would need to get a pile of items. Using fodder was the only point of comparison so I was trying to work out a max nugget “per charm” cost I’d wanna pay.

FWIW, I have 420 blaze it charms total so far.

Usually the price of event items tanks a few weeks later, so maybe it’s trying to mitigate that? You can still get darcy items for almost-nothing. If everyone spending their charms on pets, it might make the items more valuable.

Posted 11/03/17, edited 11/03/17