00:53 ST
[EVENT] Letters from the Lost (October 31st - November 14th)
Jacq (Just jumping in to say, for what it’s worth, that the event lasts till the 14th c:)
Posted 11/03/17

Cosmo
Oh! Thanks! I was thinking it ran until the 7th because that’s when the shop opened (and I didn’t bother looking at the header lol). I’ll prob get to 950 then :D

Posted 11/03/17

I’m just gonna butt in and add my two cents.
Right from the beginning it was a bit shocking that prices were so high, particularly on the coats. Given that the poses are so different for both event pets, there are a lot of people who are going to want one of each (because it’s almost like we had 4 event coats this time). I see that some people are averaging 200+ charms a day, which is great! But others don’t have time or executive agency to be neurotically managing a timer every day, who are crawling in at ~200 charms total.

A lot of people are going to have to shell out lots of cash (on-site or otherwise) to get the things they want. Which is great, it’ll hopefully jumpstart the lagging economy here? But given that nearly everyone will -only- sell things for PP right now, that’s gonna end up with a lot of people feeling short-changed. Almost certainly people will need to choose between items or (a) coat. For example, if the coat someone wants is the Twelfth Hour dras, to guarantee getting one is nearly 2400 charms (and we all remember how bad the RNG was towards players wanting the moon phase last year). To guarantee one copy of that coat, you need to be averaging ~170 charms a day. If you want both upright and active, you need over 300 each day. And you need that much to walk away from this event just with a coat or two, nevermind any items you might want.

I’m guessing the prices are to encourage trading between users for event things, since it’s nearly impossible for a single person to gather everything from the event - which is a great idea, I’m not saying it’s bad - but like I said earlier, PP is the premium right now and many people don’t have access to that. It’s a good fix but for the wrong problem.

Anyway that’s my two cents, feel free to poke me with any thoughts or further discussion o:

Posted 11/03/17

Is there anything special about sending to the same Mycenan or different ones, or collecting words among your own?
It’s just… I’m kind of floundering on to whom I should want to send words… Wasn’t sure if there were any particulars for which I should be trying.

Thanks!

Posted 11/03/17

Trelweny

If you’re stuck on who to send words to and you’d like some variety, the “Give a Word, Get a Word” thread on the main event forum is very active. You don’t even need to post. Sometimes I just send to random people I see on the board. ^^

I notice a lot of us, myself included, will search for a pet with the same name as the word we’re sending (among my pets, Jay, Quail, and Rose seem pretty popular for their respective words) or a bit of clever wordplay. I’ve received “jaw” and “jaws” for my placeholder pet named Shark, Hush and Whisper have both received “quiet”, Dusk has received “noon”, and Rose has received “thorn”.

Really, just have fun with your word, you never know who might pop up in the name selection. ^^

Posted 11/03/17, edited 11/03/17

Trelweny
From my very first word event (I think this will be my third) I’ve sent to the same pet. Almost every word I’ve ever sent has gone to that one pet. I just stick to the one because then I only have to remember one name. I don’t have to go looking and it has become a ritual. I don’t have to think about it. You could always try that. Just find a pet you like and send to it, if that makes things simpler for you.

Posted 11/03/17

Hey everyone!

I see there’s some discussion about the event prize prices, so I figured I’d pop in and explain the rationale. There are a couple factors at play here:

First factor: like all grab-bag events, this event is tuned towards the bag prices and not item prices. Being able to buy individual items is a relatively recent addition to events, and previously only the bags were available as prizes, but feedback on events indicated that some players find complete reliance on random grabs as stressful. As a response to this feedback, you can purchase the contents directly if you really want to, but this will come at a steep extra cost which is explicitly not factored in. If you want “expected” rewards from the event, your best bet is to buy bags and trade with other players, possibly buying one or two items directly to fill out the final items that you aren’t able to find for trade. Primarily buying the items directly will mean you will be able to acquire much less, which is intentional, in part because it means that fewer trade items will be available to other players who buy bags as intended.

Second factor: the prices are indeed higher than last year. These events are tuned towards the “average” player being able to afford as many of each bag as there are items in the bag — last year there were 5 items in each item bag and 3 mushrooms in the mushroom bag, whereas this year there are only two mushrooms in the mushroom bag, and the prices have been adjusted accordingly. We decided to “spread out” the price increase over the item bags / items as well to make the mushroom-bag price increase less steep, but whether that was the correct way to do it remains to be seen (submitting feedback about this this on the post-event feedback form after the event will be very much appreciated). Word-creating event prize prices are tuned for the average player earning about 2600 charms over 14 days, or about 185 charms per day, which has in the past been (and is also currently for this event) a good average. Many players of course will earn significantly less, and many players earn significantly more. For this event so far, some players are averaging fewer than one charm per day, and others are averaging more than 440. Where you find yourself in this spectrum depends largely on your involvement and how much time you put in, though the point-values of your letters do of course play a role as well.

Third factor: this is the first time we’ve offered the actual pets for purchase in the event shop, so how to sell them is a bit of an experiment. Since you can’t “open” a pet, they aren’t random and thus are priced equivalent to the individual mushrooms (and not the mushroom bag to which the event price is tuned). We initially planned to sell the pets at a higher price than the mushrooms, but then we figured that the individual mushrooms were already pretty expensive, and spending event points in order to save yourself gems is arguably a “bad move” (because event points are limited and gems are always available), so we thought we’d try offering them at the same price and see how that goes.

Good luck everyone! I hope you’re able to get whichever prizes you’re after :)

EDIT: all right wise guys, who did that to my avatar?

Posted 11/04/17, edited 11/04/17

i will probably reply about the prices after i read it all BUT MR BEAN…............. thats my main question!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it was like that last night TOO

edit: thanks to glitch for explaining… i’m glad that the balance for items for the event is being experimented with. i think people just get nervous because in the past its been fairly easy to get one of everything. now that we know i think that puts me more at ease. i still havent decided what all are my MUST HAVES this time around heh

Thanks for the super detailed response! :D
fwiw, I’m interested in the way these kinds of changes are implemented on these events and to see how the site changes and adapts based on player feedback (and more overarcing/meta conditions). But I can say this from a(n armchair) position where I’m not really going to get stressed out about it either way.

1. a+ bean. good job shenaniganner.

2. The explanation about turning it to bag prices (so the average player can buy as many bags as there are items in each bag) doesn’t account for the rarity difference between the items. If the average number of charms is around 2600, it means the event is set up so that lots of players have to choose between the dras pet or anything else, and that many players won’t be able to get that pet at all. Because you can’t purchase charms from multiple players, the option of buying the dras pet outright is even less feasible.

Consider the situation where a player wants the dras pet but only manages to collect 2200 charms by the end of the event. They’re outta luck three ways because; they can’t buy the last 175 charms outright to buy the pet; they won’t be able to “Trade up”, as the items are inherently less valuable / more numerous and; EVEN IF they take their chances on a toad bag, and EVEN IF they get lucky, they’re still out the price of fodder.
(That situation seems similar to the “Scholarcrow Smasher” thing a few years ago, in terms of how the “lots of effort, but not quite enough” plays out).

3. While it makes sense to tune the event to the bags from a dev perspective, from a player perspective the balance is almost always going to be in consideration of the most expensive item within that bag, and the odds of attaining that item.

4. As a couple of people have already mentioned, this event feels like it has more pets on offer, because of the difference between coats. So this is a place where balancing based on the number of mushrooms (rather than the number of “unique” pets)  might have been a misstep.

Sidenote: A few months back, China introduced regulations whereby companies like Blizzard (polygon link) had to be up front about the rarity of finding certain items within the loot boxes. While the individual pricing of each item give you a small clue about the relative rarity, I personally wouldn’t mind seeing that made more transparent. (especially knowing that the prices were intentionally hand-tweaked to spread the rise over multiple items).

Posted 11/04/17
While the individual pricing of each item give you a small clue about the relative rarity, I personally wouldn’t mind seeing that made more transparentJacq

With all event grab-bags, we set the individual item prices to be precisely defined by their probabilities: something that costs twice as much is half as likely. As an example, lets work through the cat pouch:

Item Price

Relative Weight
(sum of prices over price)

Probaility
(weight over sum of weights)

Stony Steppers 72

(72+72+90+120+120) / 72 =

6.58 / (6.58+6.58+5.27+3.95+3.95) =
0.25 (25%)

Stony Ear Tips 72

(72+72+90+120+120) / 72 =

6.58 / (6.58+6.58+5.27+3.95+3.95) =
0.25 (25%)

Drifty Shivering Gaze 90

(72+72+90+120+120) / 90 =

5.27 / (6.58+6.58+5.27+3.95+3.95) =
0.20 (20%)

Drifty Shivering Smog 120

(72+72+90+120+120) / 120 =

3.95 / (6.58+6.58+5.27+3.95+3.95) =
0.15 (15%)

Drifty Shivering Spectre 120

(72+72+90+120+120) / 120 =

3.95 / (6.58+6.58+5.27+3.95+3.95) =
0.15 (15%)

Thanks so much for that, glitch! I realize now that you’ve broken it down that the price spread was over the bags /all items (seems obvious lol) and not just tweaked after the fact. Seeing the probability of the dras compared to the ineki coat is around 40/60 (if I have my math right) certainly mitigates some of the concerns I had about the toad bag.

I also appreciate the transparency just in general. Y’all’ve always been really good about explaining the systems used and reasoning behind them, and I appreciate that a lot. Especially with the way the current climate in gaming wrt loot boxes. (or have I been watching too much Jim Sterling).

(I’ve been valiantly resisting the urge so far to use mycena events to get some extra practice with R and I’m not sure if this is helping or not lmao).

Class:3
Posted 11/06/17
Can anyone give me some q words that don’t need a U? I was trying words from the scrabble list but none of the ones I’ve tried work.
Posted 11/06/17

Madara There aren’t many I’m afraid.

Based on feedback from last time we’re using the Spellstones dictionary for the event — looking through it quickly, the only entry with a Q and without a U that I can find is “qwerty”.

Posted 11/06/17, edited 11/06/17
Are the two coats available in theToad Pouch, or is it only the two mushrooms in the Toad?
Posted 11/07/17

OregonCoast Just the two mushrooms. But since event points seem to be valued at about 40 nuggets each, it would cost about the same amount (or more in the case of Twelfth Hour) to buy fodder for a shroom as it would to buy the coat straight from the shop.

I also have a question…are the fangs on the DotN (active and/or upright) toggleable? :O

Posted 11/07/17

Could I make a small suggestion to add a note to Griselda’s shop soonish, that the Toad Bag does not contain pets? Or maybe move the put purchases to the same “level” as the bags, rather than nesting it inside the toad bag?

The question has come up a few times, and I know it was answered in this thread, but not everyone reads through the recent posts and it’s a pretty expensive mistake to make (that you might not even know about if you just assume the pets are rare drops!)

The other items, when you click them, list the contents of the bags, but the toad bag lists its contents, plus the two pets (which are impossible to find inside).

(jic - glitch Myla)

Posted 11/07/17, edited 11/07/17
Wait what, you can’t get the pets from the bags? Just the mushrooms I’m guessing? Please put that somewhere in the cottage in big letters because yeah, listing the actual pets inside the toad bag is definitely going to cause confusion and upset. I’m glad I checked here, though!!
Posted 11/07/17

Cosmo

The fangs are not toggleable on either pose for the Dead of the Night!

Posted 11/07/17

Cosmo  Thank you for the reply!  I had read through the thread, but I wasn’t finding my answer.

Jacq I rather like Jacq’s idea of separating the images of the coat purchases from the Toad Pouch if there’s no way the pouch drops them.  You don’t want bad feelings over this…..false advertisement and all that c=

Oxton  Thank you for letting us know the fangs aren’t toggeable for the Dead of the Night coats.  I think my character will still work with the fangs, but it would have been great to have the option to toggle them as well to add to the diversity of the coat. 

Can the feather boa on the upright cat ineki be toggled off? I love how you overlayered a bow on yours c=

Posted 11/07/17

OregonCoast

The feather boa can indeed be turned off! c:

I’ll actually list the layers that can be toggled underneath!

Active Toggle Layers
-Body Smoke
-Eye Smoke
-Rings
-Bat Caravat

Upright Toggle Layers
-Bat Bow
-Shawl 1 (this is the foreground of the web shawl)
-Fluff (this is the boa)
-Shawl 2 (this is the background of the web shawl)

And thank you so much Oregon, I really enjoyed dressing them up! :D

Posted 11/07/17
idk if anyone has pointed this out yet but the prize bags are rEALLY CUTE??? I want them IRL??? somebody needs to make this happen pls
Posted 11/07/17

Regarding the toad pouch, that’s a fair point — we have some new players participating who may not know that openables only contain items. I’ll update the shop page accordingly this evening.

EDIT: the shop has been updated to clarify that the Toad Pouch contains only mushrooms.

Posted 11/07/17, edited 11/07/17

Question! 

On the Bone Monster’s page, the full view upright version of Twelfth Hour has a flower crown, but my pet does not have the option to put one on. Is that a mistake?

Myla

Posted 11/07/17, edited 11/08/17

glitch
Quick question, could you clarify what you mean by “average” player? Are you guys taking the mean # of charms earned across active players, or is it an approximation of the median values? o:

Posted 11/07/17

*glances at the Toad bag* *glances at current number of shrooms* Aaaand here I was thinking I was doing pretty good at this event.

Time to convince myself I’m not interested in any of the coats ‘cause there’s no way I’m going to have enough charms to buy even one of those bags, especially when I want to collect one of each of the smaller bags! (Not even the items in them…the bags are just so cute!)

I greatly appreciate the clarification that that you cannot get a random pet from the Toad bag.

Also, going to try to remember this for the post-event feedback form, but I really wish my event notifications told me the name of a pet that sent me a charm, rather than the user themselves (considering how I have to then click on them to find a pet’s name to send to, since I like sending back to anyone who sends to me)

Posted 11/07/17

Kind of curious about what the ‘average’ player would be as well, and whether or not you counted it out to be sure people could get each of the items at the end. Especially given the different costs/rarities affecting trade (oof I have to try to trade up twice. ;~; ) and the stark difference between positions of the two coats.

Disclaimer: This is ranty and just my own mind thoughts about the event and therefore may not entirely be accurate!

As it stands, I’ve gotten enough bags to have potentially gotten all the items if i were able to make 1:1 trades, and am left with ~2k charms from the 700 charm investment there. From current prices and what I can tell, it’d cost 3800 charms for four of the bags and maybe i’ll get lucky and get two of each, but probably not because the dras is rarer according to the pricing/what Glitch confirmed about rarity-price matching. But that’s for mushrooms. And I certainly can’t afford to just shell out enough for four fodder pets to feed the shrooms, at least not at the moment anyway.

So to solve that I’m gonna have to buy the pets explicitly, and it’ll give me the position I want too, (which apparently matters less than I thought since you can’t get the full pets from the bags, which until today I thought you could. Glad I only noticed shop opened today too, heheh…) which is important given the distinctions within the coats. So buying all four of them explicitly in pet form with one of each type would be…7916 charms? Yep, rip. I actually thought it was higher for half the event, but I didn’t notice that Dead of The Night is actually cheaper. So…yay?

Yeah, no, I like to sleep sometimes and even getting it every fifteen minutes from when I wake up until when I fall asleep, with some error for when I’m cooking or just really engrossed in a game of 3D tic-tac-toe, I’m never getting that much. But, oh well. Maybe I don’t care about the Dras. *gasp* Yeah, scary thought. But let’s pretend. If I didn’t care about the Dras (haha, sorry pretties! <3) it would cost me 3166 charms to get both the Ineki coats. Actually, that’s not that bad. For me. I can get that. But like I said, I’ve no real mid-day engagements and have been able to get it more or less every time it dings, with not much loss apart from sleep. I’d reckon the average player would struggle a bit more, especially doing that on top of the what I’ve already claimed since it’s 700 more charms for all the items.

Anyway, what if instead of not caring about the Dras coats I decided I didn’t want the Ineki? Well first off look in the mirror to make sure you’re not in oppositeland, since I like cute fluffy things and that upright pose is to die for. *shot* ...more seriouslike, let’s get to the numbers for that. 4750 would be the cost of both Dras coats when bought explicitly as pets. That’s also something I’m likely able to attain. I’m currently aiming at ~6-7k charms at event end from my hilarious lack of life atm. So hey, I \maybe\ might’ve even been able to get all ‘four’ event coats if I tried really hard and skipped the items. Maybe. Depends on if I keep drawing Qs and Xs and things to match them with. (Two Qs at once at one point though come on ghosts what’re ya doin’?)

And if I got mushrooms instead of the coats explicitly? Same costs. So unless I had someone already that for lore reasons I wanted to transform into an event coat, which personally I wouldn’t do but maybe someone else might, there’s no real reason for me to not get them explicitly. Except, perhaps, if I got them cheaper through the bag.

Ah, bags. 633 charms saved if I get a Dead of the Night coat, and 1425 charms saved if I get the Twelfth Hour coat. Hmmm, interesting. Clearly I can’t trade the former for the latter, since the price difference would make trading up harder due to the rarity of the Dras coat and the likelihood that people would want more of \something\ for the trade on my end. But if I buy two bags, then I end up with two shrooms and can still explicitly buy the two I’m missing, with no chance for an awkward third of a coat.

Due to the rarity difference, I’m going to assume I got two Ineki coats. (The difference shouldn’t be THAT drastic, but let’s say I have bad luck on this.) 1266 charm savings off my 7916 total earlier. 6650 would be our new total. Given my current total net is ~3k, this is…actually potentially attainable? It’ll be hard work in the next week keeping up what I’ve been doing, but given my previous aim of 6-7k that fits right in the higher range of where I expect to be. Unfortunately, that’s not counting the 700 I already spent on getting all the items. So with this method I could probably get all the coats, but I’d miss out on the items game taking this route. Unlucky roll.

But what if I get two Dras mushies? 7916-2850=5066. Yay! That’s WAY more attainable, given my pre-spent charms! Woo! And I’d have some left over for more items for trading purposes. What if I got one of each mushroom? 2058 charm savings for 5858 total spent on coats. Plus the item cost, that’s also within budget! But I’ll be hurting on extra items for trading. Hopefully I RNG out some good drops, derp. Or I could just bite the bullet if I get one of each and get a third mushroom, since at that point there’d be no risk of a triplicate.

Overall, I’m…ambivalent on the pricing scale. 4500 cost for all items/coats if you just bought the bags and got one bag for each item inside it, but of course some items are rarer so you’ll want some more of each probably for trading purposes and extra chances. That’s not taking into account the supposed chance at a coat from opening the item bags Griselda claims are in there. I’m dubious, given Glitch’s post suspiciously missing a % chance at a rare shroom drop! She might be slightly crazy, but still adore her regardless.

I’m going to guess the average player probably earns aboooouuut 5-6k? Assuming balance didn’t take into account rarities too much, while allowing for the majority of player to get one of every bag plus some extra for trading fodder or to spend on buying that one item they really wanted just a bunch of.

So what have we learned? If you just buy the bagged items and leave it to rng, getting an extra or two of the different types for trading purposes and not caring about getting mushrooms, you can actually get a heck of a lot of stuff if you check regularly. I’m half a week away from getting all that even. Unfortunately if you don’t have enough gems and want some of the coats explicitly, it’s gonna cost ya a pretty sizable chunk of charms to upgrade. Which honestly is pretty fair, given otherwise you’d have to be a good citizen and support the forum devs (<3) to buy enough gems for the fodder pets.

Unfortunately, ‘checking regularly’ in this case kind of means wake up to sleep time coming back every fifteen minutes or so. But fret not! Remember my previous estimate of 5-6k by event end? That’s stupid. Seriously, sincerely, stupid. The dedication to get that is absurd for anyone with school or work, so a good bit of that should be cut for the average player since I’m probably on the high end of things. But that comes back to how they determine ‘average player’. Is it the mean scores? Median? A random selection of a thousand mycenians put into a box and then averaged out? Hopefully not the last one. That’s how bad science pushes shifty agendas and shifts public attention in ways it shouldn’t. But I can’t tell this from numbers, so we have to wait and see if we’ll be graced with such info.

For now, the math seems to point towards whatever ‘average’ means it should probably be around 5-6k charms. Maybe. Dunno. But we’re halfway through the week of the two weeks this event lasts, so double your current total charms earned and you’ll get around how many you’ll have by event end. If that’s over 4.5k, you’re safe to buy one bag for each item in said bags. If not, well you better find more time one of these days to raise your total a bit, friend.

~~~~~

Even more tl;dr:
Cost of one bag for each item in said bags is 4500. So aim for ~5-5.5k charms by event end so you have some extras for trading purposes. The prices for explicitly buying the coat mushrooms should be lower than the cost of the coats directly imo or there’s little reason to get them, and deciding you don’t care about some of the coats will save you a LOT of charms.

By the by, thanks for the warning that the pets can’t drop from the bag. I’d forgotten that actually. Almost oops’d into getting bags instead of the pets directly. <3

Posted 11/07/17

Bit of a non sequitur I suppose, but I’d like to suggest a word suggestion thread for future events (and Spellstones too, if it pulls from the same site dictionary), for words we find surprising having not been accepted.

I was just informed “jicama” isn’t considered a word, which made me a little sad given the awesome letter distribution. It is a word if you’re a foodie. XD

Posted 11/08/17

“Mycena” is not a valid word :(

...I just found out that Mycena doesn’t count, either. Such a tragedy.

Posted 11/08/17, edited 11/08/17
So unless I had someone already that for lore reasons I wanted to transform into an event coat, which personally I wouldn’t do but maybe someone else might, there’s no real reason for me to not get them explicitly. Except, perhaps, if I got them cheaper through the bag.polygone

I can see where you’re coming from, but taking into account the potential of trading with other players, particularly regarding pets, might change those numbers a bit.

The cost of buying fodder and the cost of straight-up buying the pet come out about equivalently, if points are converted to their approximate nugget value. With each event point being priced at 40 nuggets or more, a player would be shelling out 25.3k+ nuggets’ worth of points (which do sell fairly quickly in the forums) to get that step up from a DotN shroom to an actual pet. That’s more than maximum fodder prices (with gems at 1:3600), so neither option is really better than the other. A player could spend event points to get that pet right now, or they could buy fodder for a potentially lower price later.

Even if you’re looking to get a Twelfth Hour coat (or two, or three), it could end up being the same price to trade up for or even directly buy the shroom from someone else - and that includes fodder. Since the shop has just opened, Twelfth Hour shrooms are in particularly high demand, but as supply increases, prices will most likely even out. It’s doable even now to swap a DotN shroom for a TH shroom + 20-40k nuggets. Given that the Toad Bag is 950 charms, and 950 x 40 = 38,000, a player would end up spending 58-78k worth on the Twelfth Hour shroom. A price on the lower end of that would allow you to escape the steep price of 2375 charms (worth 95k+ nuggets) that you’d have to pay to buy the coat straight from Griselda. Again, as the market is settling, these numbers aren’t totally for certain, but this seems to be about the same thing that happened with the Equilibrium shrooms a while back.

I don’t claim to be an expert on economics, but essentially what I’m saying is that every player has a choice about whether to buy straight from the shop or to trade with others to get what they want. It depends on how highly they value their event points/nuggets, among other factors.

Your “bad science” comparison doesn’t make sense here and seems more like an attack on the site’s integrity than anything else, especially since you seem to be insinuating that the high prices of buying the pets from the shop is meant to encourage players to spend real money on gems for shroom fodder. The latter argument doesn’t hold up because nobody is forced to buy gems with real money; there is and always has been the option to buy them with nuggets, which, although it can be somewhat expensive, is a valid alternative for all players. The former argument doesn’t account for human error. I think that the main reason event items/coats seem so expensive is that many people want both poses of each pet, which is totally understandable, but wasn’t taken into account in the calculations. That may be why there’s such a huge discrepancy in what the “average” player was “supposed” to want (all of which they were intended to be able to reasonably get) and what the “average” player actually wants, which can’t necessarily be attained by one person alone. But I do think that miscalculation was accidental, not deliberate as you seem to say it is.

Posted 11/08/17