14:55 ST
[Event] Winter Holiday Fun Book - Raffle results posted! [EVENT DISCUSSION THREAD]
Creativity Award results can be found here!
Raffle results can be found here!
The Winter Holiday Fun Book Group Edition is now OVER!

Please use this form to self-score your Activity entries and submit your prize preferences. This is also the place for feedback/comments/critique, if you have any to share with us!

The self-scoring form will close on Sunday, February 28th at 23:59 ST, after which random spot checks will be done and prizes be distributed.

It’s getting cold in the Cave, and that means the Cave’s inhabitants are gathering in their cozy homes to play games together — and to keep warm, of course! We’re providing you with a Winter Holiday Fun Book full of Mycenian favorites for you and your friends to enjoy between February 6th, 00:00 ST and February 21st, 23:59 ST. The pages will include art games, writing games, and puzzles that can be completed either with, or by, a group, so there will be something for everyone.

Of course, you won’t be doing it all for naught. If you complete or participate in these games and puzzles, there are prizes to be earned!

You may keep track of your own completion progress by ticking the checkboxes after submitting your work on the Winter Holiday Fun Book page. Doing this is purely for your own benefit, and the ticking of boxes will not be used by staff as any sort of minimum participation checklist.

Please head on over to the Sign-Up Thread for information on how to sign up and get started! If you have any questions, please check the Frequently Asked Questions before posting your inquiry.

Prizes
  • Participation prize: There will be one item prize, offered in two colour varieties, unique to this event: Cozy Campfire, and Magical Campfire. To be eligible for receiving a copy of the unique item prize, individual participants have to participate in a minimum of 5 activities. Multiples may be earned by completing 5 additional activities per copy. Eligibility will not depend on the quality or quantity of work delivered by your group members, and has no extraneous minimum requirements.

• Raffle prize: Each activity entry will count as one ticket towards a raffle with a prize pool consisting of several Red Tufted Squirrel Mushrooms, Rosy Cheek items and Icy Magic items, last years’ Winter Holiday Fun Book prizes. There will also be a few Cave Capsule 2015 and Gift Capsules ripe for winning!
  • Creativity prize: Each individual participant may choose to participate in the overarching Creativity Awards. To participate, each individual participant is allowed to select one of their own activity entries and submit it to one of the provided themes. These entries will be staff-judged for creativity and inventiveness, and the winner in each category will receive a Gold Medallion.
Scoring

At the end of the event, a scoring form will be made available for you to score yourself.

This form will allow you to…

• Submit a count of, and individual permalinks to, each of your activity entries,
  • Choose how many copies you would like per color of the event item prize, up to a sum total of the count of your activity entries divided by 5*,
  • Indicate your raffle preferences for the Winter Holiday Fun Book v1 prizes,
  • Choose to opt out of the Winter Holiday Fun Book v1 raffle.

* Example: If you have submitted 14 activity entries throughout the event, you may select your preference for a sum total of 14 / 5 = 2.8, rounded down, makes 2 copies of the item prizes. This could be 2 Cozy Campfire, 1 Cozy Campfire and 1 Magical Campfire, or 2 Magical Campfires.

Rules
  • You may not under any circumstances automate or script any aspect of the event.
  • You may not have multiple accounts on Mycena Cave, nor use multiple accounts in this event.
  • This event is community focused, which means you can work together. This does not mean you can enter your solution (duplicate files) for multiple people, but it does mean you may help someone if they get stuck.
  • You are not required to participate in all Activities your group chooses to do.
  • Please keep in mind that judging may take a while!
Links
Posted 02/05/16, edited 03/03/16
Frequently Asked Questions

Q: I am not very artistic and/or I cannot draw, what images are you providing for me to use in my entries?
A: Aside from the images provided for the individual pages and examples (all of which you can reuse!), we have a Miscellaneous Event Image Page, the Item Database with all item icons, and all NPC art you can use in your entries :)

Q: My friends and I mostly communicate via chat, echos or off-site. Do we have to use our group discussion thread to discuss activities?
A: You do not have to use your group discussion thread if all of your group members agree to using a different medium to communicate. However, we do ask you to please make a group discussion thread for your group, including the group members and links to your activity threads in the first post :)

Q. How do I submit my entries to receive a reward?
A. We will provide you with a form to use to submit your entries. You will still be submitting a tally and permalinks to each of your entry posts, but if a posts contains multiple entries, you may count it for as many entries as it contains. We will only be doing several random spot checks to check if figures add up (and should your count be off by one or two, that’s not a problem).

• Page 1 - Silly Sound Stores
    • Each creative piece submitted counts as one entry. The sound used does not have to be custom selected, i.e. if you used one of the example sounds, your entry still counts and increases your point tally by one.
  • Page 2 - Word Search
    • Each created word search counts as one entry. In the case of selecting a premade word search, this entry should not be counted.
    • Each completed word search counts as one entry. The completion of a premade word search counts as one entry.
  • Page 3 - What is the Thing?
    • Each created shape counts as one entry. In the case of selecting a premade shape where the post does not contribute any personal creative input, this entry should not be counted.
    • Each encyclopedia page counts as one entry.
  • Page 4 - Color-by-Number Mushroom
    • Each section of mushroom colored counts as one entry.
    • Each encyclopedia page describing a mushroom counts as one entry.
  • Page 5 - Round Robin Storytelling
    • Each creative piece submitted counts as one entry. In the case of selecting a premade prompt where the post does not contribute any personal creative input, this entry should not be counted.
  • Page 6 - 4W Potpourri
    • Each creative piece submitted counts as one entry.
    • Posts only submitting the 4Ws of your choice to the group pool should not be counted.
  • Page 7 - Spooopy Shadow Stories
    • Each creative piece submitted counts as one entry. The shadow shape used does not have to be custom made, i.e. if you used a provided shadow shape, your entry still counts and increases your point tally by one.
  • Page 8 - Construct a Carol
    • Each submitted section of lyrics counts as one entry.
    • Each creative piece inspired by the combined carol counts as one entry.
  • Page 9 - I Spy
    • The round leader gets one point for leading a complete round.
    • Each creative piece submitted as a guess for a round counts as one entry.
  • Page 10 - Cast a Character
    • Each posted prompt counts as one entry.
    • Each creative piece responding to a prompt counts as one entry.
  • Page 11 - Character Crossword
    • Each crossword created counts as one entry.
    • Each crossword completed counts as one entry.
  • Page 12 - Equip the Cave
    • Each posted prompt (a doodle plus brief description) counts as one entry. The doodle used does not have to be custom drawn, i.e. if you used one of the example doodles, your entry still counts and increases your point tally by one.
    • Each creative piece responding to a prompt counts as one entry.
  • Page 13 - Who Wore it Better?
    • The round leader gets one point for leading a complete round.
    • Each creative piece submitted to the round counts as one entry.
  • Page 14 - A Time and Place for Learning
    • Each complete critique of another players’ post counts as one entry.
Posted 02/05/16, edited 02/15/16

-launches event in pj’s & wrapped in bedsheets-

MANY EXCITE~ :D! Hope you’ll have fun, everyone!

Posted 02/06/16
I’m so excited for this… this will be my first time participating in a real site event ;w;
Posted 02/06/16
Yay, I can’t wait to see entries!! <3333 Big thanks to Juney for setting this up and running it again this year!  It wouldn’t have been possible without her leading the way and doing a giant amount of work! @u@ *buffalo lick* <3
Posted 02/06/16
So there’s no mushroom for this exclusive to the event, just the campfire? :3
Posted 02/06/16

Do we HAVE to be in a group? or can we do it on our own?
and how does this work exactly? I’m honestly a bit confused as to whats going on in this event ;;

Posted 02/06/16

Keanai That’s right!

Sage14 The minimum group size is 2, so yes, you have to be in a group :) After you’ve signed up & become part of a group, your group posts a group discussion thread to discuss which activities you’d collectively like to do. As soon as an activity has been decided on, you post an activity thread & get going!

Posted 02/06/16
Here, it says activities can be done individually, but the sign up thread, it says all ungrouped individuals will be automatically placed in a group together? I’m just confused whether i’ll have an obligation to other people. I have iffy computer access so if it’s group activities or nothing, i’d rather opt out than risk disappointing people if I can’t fulfill my part.
Posted 02/06/16, edited 02/06/16

WeyrLeader Activities cannot be done individually, but the amount of prizes you individually are eligible for depend on your effort and your effort alone. You must be in a group to participate, but no one is forced to complete activities they do not wish to do.

If you do not have a group to sign up with, you would sign up as a solo participant looking for a group. In your sign up post, you can include the estimated amount of time you’d like to dedicate per day and group size you would prefer. A group/other player could then approach you to form a group, or we would group you together within a day of your posting.

You may then post a group discussion thread and decide on which activities you’d like to do.

Quick question: If you organize a group between friends who all communicate off-site for the most part, does the group have to actually discuss what Activities they wish to do in the Discussion thread that they’ll make? That seems like such a weird question in text…
Posted 02/06/16
Promise You do not have to use your group discussion thread if all of your group members agree to using a different medium (I.e. echos, off-site) to communicate. However, we do ask you to please make a group discussion thread for your group, including the group members and links to your activity threads in the first post :)
Posted 02/06/16
Okay, I thought that was probably the case, but getting confirmation felt better than assuming. ^^
Posted 02/06/16

It seems like someone had their booty firmly planted on the “copy” button of the photo copier, adding extra copies of a bunch of pages to the Winter Holiday Funbook — the funbook has been thinned out to properly contain the 14 unique activity pages it is supposed to hold, instead of 35, oops.

A trail of highly suspicious brown floof leads away from the photo copier…

Are there any pages you can start on before you join a group?
PyroLuna I’m afraid not! Multiple solo participants have already posted in the sign-up thread looking to join a group, however, so if you’d like to get started right away, you could always approach other solo sign-up’ers to form a group together!

Juney

Is it a disavantage for people to not be grouped immediately, as premade groups can already start on their group activities? :\

EDIT:

Forgot to ask… but is there a limit on the amount of times you can do activities? Is it just once per activity? Or can you do the activities an unlimited about of times?

Espoir The event lasts two weeks, intentionally including three weekends, so I do hope you’ll feel you have plenty of time to do everything you’d like to do! In addition, in absence of staff moderation (and to give groups/singles some time to adopt, if they wish), you’re absolutely welcome to ask any other participant who signed up solo to form a group with you :) That way, you can get started any time!

There is no limit to the amount of times you can do an activity. If you and your group members are 110% partial to word searches, you can alternate making 20 word searches for each other & be eligible for 4 Campfires if you’d so desire!

Posted 02/06/16

Juney

Hrm… ideally i’d like to group up with somebody who is on as often as i am though (as i plan on participating as many times as possible), but i think most of the people signing up as solos, apart from me, are the people that will be busy or might take a day to reply (due to timezone differences)? Kinda worried i won’t be in an active (for me, active would be someone i could converse with when i am online, in real time) group and so many people have already formed groups and gotten a headstart xD;

Ooh okay o.o That’s definitely good to know… I was actually planning on doing multiples of activities (due to having so many ideas) as this is my first event ever and i want to collect the event items for my pets ;w;

Posted 02/06/16

Espoir We hope the amount of time spent per day preference will match you up suitably, but if you feel your group is not as active as you would like to be during this event, you may sign up for another group at any time throughout the event. To do so, please create a new post in the sign up thread stating you would like to sign up for another group :)

Additionally: If you spot any solo sign up who you feel would match you well (who posted during your frequent visiting hours, with regards to timezones), you’re welcome to invite them to form a group with you, too, of course!

This might be a stupid question to ask but I’m tired. But is there no new colorations for this event, only new items?
Posted 02/06/16
Shima That is correct! There is no new coat for this event, but we will be releasing several mushrooms of last year’s Red Tufted Squirrel through a raffle :)
Posted 02/06/16
Eluii Thanks for the answer! Honestly.. that’s a huge relief. I really, really detest group work and I was willing to slog through it if it meant a coloration at the end. But no coloration means less stress for me!
Posted 02/06/16
There is no limit to the amount of times you can do an activity. If you and your group members are 110% partial to word searches, you can alternate making 20 word searches for each other & be eligible for 4 Campfires if you’d so desire!Juney

That seems pretty easy to define for shorter activities! But, how would it work for longer ones, like the ones that involve collaborative storywriting? What would count as one activity entry?

For the ‘Cast a Character’ activity, are the only options to either write a description or do a colouring of one of the pet bases? Or would one be able to draw a human character and still have it approved as an entry?
Posted 02/06/16

For the Silly Sound Stories, what counts towards a participation point?
That is, what if four people post a total of three times each, making a total of twelve posts to complete their story.
Would that count as one point for each participant, or since they posted three times during the story, it counts for three points?

Posted 02/07/16
Hm, I’ve got another question. For the Who Wore It Better page, how should a group of two approach it? Like, could one make the item list, and then the other draws and just gives their own new list for the first person to draw off of, such that the game continues similarly to how other pages can?
Posted 02/07/16

[@Kinny] Akira Each of your individual activity entry posts counts as one entry :) Granted, if your post consists of a single “.” then we may disqualify it, but as long as you’ve done your part in each of your activity entry posts, it counts!

Robin You can be as creative / versatile as you want with your character casts. We provided examples to show some of the different ways you could submit an entry, but if you have a different idea, by all means: Run with it!

Promise Sounds like you answered your own question ;) I admit, I hadn’t considered a group of 2 tackling Who Wore it Better?, but your suggestion seems to work just fine in that situation!

This event was designed to be creative, collaborative, comfortable & low barrier for everyone participating — no extreme minimum requirements, and allowing any medium for as many pages as possible. Basically: As long as your group is agreed, you’re free to be creative whichever way you like :)

OOOH MANNN I just went through all of your entries so far, and goodness, your creativity is overwhelming meee eee~ I’m so excited to see all the things you’re submitting *.*

-squishes ALL the players-
Posted 02/07/16, edited 02/07/16

Bone Monster
Hello! I noticed that one of the groups had been “invited to extend” - is that something that will happen with all the groups looking for members? I don’t want to hassle solo participants with echos since group invitations seem to be going out pretty swiftly…but I’m not sure what the best approach to trying to extend our group is otherwise :p Sorry to bother you! XD

Posted 02/07/16, edited 02/07/16

snafflewyrm Oh! I totally hadn’t seen your group sign up post had been adjusted to say that you are interested in adopting solo participants, thanks for letting me know :) Feel free to invite solo participants, if you wish — I won’t get around to doing another round of group invitations until tonight (eu timezone), and on work days I’ll likely only be able to do so once a day, so I hope groups willing to adopt will help speed up the process a little for solo sign uppers!

If not, I’ll keep your group in mind and take it into account when I send out group invitations tonight :)

Posted 02/07/16