12:02 ST
[closed] Making fixing our dictionary "fun" :D

We’re all almost 25 — hope you guys aren’t getting any grays yet :P. I have a stubborn gray hair that never goes away & is impossible to pluck /shot.

I hope we’re supposed to be flagging the Spanish words & names of people?

Posted 06/08/15
LOL using singular for A grey hair. Y’all are so adorable. I think I’m going to be in that high end of the age bracket on this pet site, too, at 37 with multiple grey hairs.
Posted 06/08/15

I’ll be 23 in about two weeks owo

I’ve found one grey hair which my ex promptly tore out of my head OTL

Posted 06/08/15
Wow I feel young compared to you guys. xD I’ll be turning 20 next month. :3c And with no gray hairs, as far as I know
Posted 06/08/15, edited 06/08/15

Should we be flagging all two letter words or only ones that don’t make sense?

I don’t know if you plan to use two letter words for anything and want them included in the dictionary

P.S. I’m 28 and don’t have any grey hairs either. Its a sad thing for me though. I can’t wait to have grey hair.

Posted 06/08/15

This is great! Thank you, I’m having fun with it. :)

My only small design nitpick would be to switch the “word” and “not word” directions around every set or handful of sets. It’s found that people do get quite complacent or tend to favour one direction or another over sets of tests.

I really love that there’s a “disregard” option after each chunk, as well.

What an excellent solution to the dictionary issue. Thank you~!

(ps I just turned 30 but I’ve been going grey since 19, so there’s that. :( )

Posted 06/08/15, edited 06/08/15
I feel so young cx I knew I was young for this site (14) but I didn’t really know I was that young.
Posted 06/08/15
I’m nearly 25, which apparently puts me at about the average age according to this conversation. But nobody in here is the ‘oldest’ person on the site, my mom plays and I’m her youngest child. There is ten years between me and my older brother…  She gave me permission to mention it.
Posted 06/08/15

*clicks the thing, finds it fun* Ok, Glitch, this thing is awesome! :D *has fun clicking it*

Also, I apparently know where the fountain of youth is… >.> I’m 29 (Born in 1986) and no trace of gray hairs yet, this makes me quite a sad panda… My GF though has a sprinkling of the pretty things! I’m so jealous, and she’s a few years younger than me, shuu. :< So unfair!

Posted 06/08/15
I plan on helping out! :D
Posted 06/08/15
I really want to help but thanks to too many years of playing scrabble, I would considered a lot more of these words than most people would.
Posted 06/08/15
Is it odd I find this relaxing (even if my mind does wander and I have to start over sometimes)? It’s a great solution to the problem, Glitch, although I do pity you for having to go through all the flagged words later. That does not sound like a fun task.
Posted 06/09/15

malkav: Don’t let something like that stop you, everything helps! :D

Hyasynthetic: Actually it’s surprisingly painless. I’ve already written the data-cruncher thingie, and while I’m keeping the final process manual rather than automating it (just to make sure), it should just be a couple minutes per chunk.

As for the final result of what we’ll end up with, I think the best plan will be to iterate, and handle spellstones vs summer event slightly differently. Once we’re done with this, here’s how we’re planning to use the results (“EOWL” is the name of the word list we’re curating, “2of12INF” is the name of the dictionary that Spellstones currently uses):

• Spellstones will use the resulting curated EOWL for words of 5 letters or fewer, and will continue to use the 2of12INF for words of 6 letters or more.
  • The Summer Event will use the resulting curated EOWL for words of 5 letters or fewer, and the original uncurated EOWL words of 6 letters or more.

This “vetting” process seems to be relatively painless and what’s more people seem to enjoy it to a certain degree, so our idea is that it can be started up again in the future, and we can roll out the expanded dictionary as we curate it. So like once we’re done with this, maybe we can start curating the 6-letter words, and then when we’re done Spellstones can use the curated EOWL for 6 letter words too (and only have to fall back on 2of12INF for 7+ letter words). That way, our dictionary is expanding throughout this whole process, which is way more fun than expanding it “too much” now and then shrinking it again.

On the other hand, due to the game mechanics of the Summer Event, we’re going to be using the un-curated EOWL for the 6+ letter words, to make sure that any 6+ letter words you find do actually get accepted :)

Posted 06/09/15, edited 06/09/15
I feel pretty useless when it comes to this. I am pretty sure I am clicking words that other people would recognize easily but I just don’t. :( I am still helping out anyway. How much longer will this be up for us to do?
Posted 06/28/15

Oh shoot. I forgot about completing this ;;
Is there a more concrete date this needs to be done, since you were unsure about July 1st before, glitch?

Posted 06/28/15
I was planning on officially taking it down at the end of the month, but I can leave it up as late as the 3rd if anyone feels strongly about it :)
Posted 06/29/15
Yes please!! I was busy during June and didn’t get much of a chance to do this and I would really love to!
Posted 06/29/15

I’m personally about 60% done, but if I can, I’m trying to get it done this evening.
I don’t want to hold anything up if it’s just me wanting to be a completionist!

Posted 06/30/15

\o/ I just finished the last one today. Persistence pays off! I hope my input is useful.

As for my opinion on lengthening the time limit, I’d say it’s great as long as it doesn’t put too much pressure on staff to get next month’s event done in a rush.

Posted 06/30/15
We’ll keep it open until the 3rd. We could get by with the data we have already, but I don’t want to deprive people of contributing to the shaping of the dictionary as they see fit :)
Posted 06/30/15, edited 06/30/15

Thanks, I appreciate it c:

/whistles while working on the remaining 80 chunks

Edit: I noticed when I finished all 305 chunks, I can still click on it and begin another round of words. I’m guessing it just recycles and I shouldn’t have missed anything, right?

Posted 06/30/15, edited 07/02/15

Whoops, yes it just recycles and you haven’t missed anything. Thanks so much for getting through all of them :)

Quick reminder: this ends tonight!
Posted 07/03/15, edited 07/03/15
Thanks for all your help everyone! Now, time for me to go through all this data :D
Posted 07/04/15
Good luck with all that data! I’m sure it’s a lot to sift through. Can’t wait to see the completed dictionary, too.
Posted 07/04/15

I was wondering when we would get the thank you nuggets for helping with the dictionary?
I thought I’d post here to ask before I forget again ^^;
(I just did the survey and was reminded of this.)

Posted 07/27/15, edited 07/27/15
Soon! Sorry, I’ve been busy with event stuff and haven’t had the chance to go back and do this. But it is not forgotten!
Posted 07/27/15
I figured as much, which is why I kinda stayed quiet until now, meep x)
Posted 07/27/15