11:55 ST
[EVENT] Reign of the North Wind (April 19th - May 4th)
I don’t think it will happen but just to be sure, if i use a petrified mushroom to reset the new pet’s birthday, its colors won’t get randomized when I unpetrify it right?
Posted 04/23/20, edited 04/23/20

Glaive The colors won’t get randomized again! You’ll keep the same drift. <3

For the new coat, Aberration (which became available at the Altar of Spring once the last spirit was quelled this morning), glitch added in the option to utilize our old color code much like Crystal Catalyst. You can toggle between them in the Manage Pet page! :D

Posted 04/23/20

ALSO did you notice that the collection image got less snowy and icy as the spirits were quelled?

Posted 04/23/20

I did not notice! That’s so cool! 8D I only noticed the lighted beacons. *u*

I have questions. Sorry if this is too early since the event is not technically over. I’m just madly curious. Did the community just happen to leave the north spirit for last by getting the others quelled, or was that pre-scripted? Was the difficulty of the words scaled to make the winter spirit harder to quell? Would the other spirits have had lists we did not see because they were quelled before the others?

Posted 04/23/20

raus It was not pre-scripted! We had 5 extra words for all of them and then as the spirits went down and we knew which ones would be left, we added more to the word lists from there (we were also constantly re-evaluating how many words needed to be added for each defeat since they were going down pretty quickly). Glitch also had the background coded up to work with whichever order the spirits were defeated! For awhile we were sure that summer was going to be the last one standing. We loved that winter was the last one since it worked well with the lore of the event. :‘D

Posted 04/23/20

Thanks for the confirmation Myla! I love the colors mine got so I’d be really upset if I messed it up on my end.

It’s also interesting to see how the word lists are being updated. Because the word lists for summer and winter were neck-to-neck (they were at 4/5 for the last word at one point if I’m remembering correctly) I was wondering what would have happened if two people sent the last required word for both remaining spirits at the same time.

Posted 04/23/20

Sorry if I missed it somewhere, but I had a question.

Will there be an event forum section or thread? I know sometimes we have a “Give a Word, Get a Word” kind of threads, but I hadn’t seen one yet (and didn’t want to make a duplicate or place it in the wrong section of forum). So was just curious :)

Posted 04/23/20
Thanks Myla! It’s so cool to see that. I was surprised to see how fast they went down, but wondered like Glaive did what would happen if they both got quelled at the same time.
Posted 04/23/20

I think they would have had to have gone down the exact same second for it to be an issue, which seemed unlikely unless two people were working in coordination. Even then I think it would have been difficult to do it at the same moment. glitch would need to confirm though. It was a thought that passed through my head too, LOL.

Hiiro I think those are usually started by community members! Feel free to start one up in the jibber jabber forum. 8)

Posted 04/23/20

Myla
Ok! I went ahead, just wanted to make sure I wasn’t stepping on toes or anything! Thank you! :D

raus Myla Regarding exact-same-time, that’s a great question!

So, it would have been a little trickier than both going down in exactly the same second. It would need to be a lot closer in time than that, so realistically both words would need to come from you (it’d be impossible to coordinate with multiple computers over the internet). So, if you had enough letters for both of their last words at the same time, and then engineered things to ensure they got sent at exactly the same time (there’s tools to help orchestrate this), and if you get lucky with network conditions (from my experimentation on Mycena Cave a while back, two requests sent at the exact same time have a ~20% chance of colliding), then things get interesting if you don’t deal with the possibility explicitly in your code.

This is actually a pretty common problem on a lot of websites and services — common enough to have a fun sounding name: they’re called TOCTOU vulnerabilities (pronounced “tock two”, short for Time Of Check To Time Of Use). For example, Starbucks lets you transfer gift card balances from one card to another, and not too long ago it was possible to use this trick to basically get infinite Starbucks money.

You start with $5 on card A. Send two requests to transfer $5 from card A to card B at the same time. If they got processed at the same time, then the processing would go as follows:

1. Request 1: Verify that your balance is at least $5 — yep!
  2. Request 2: Verify that your balance is at least $5 — yep!
  3. Request 1: Deduct $5 from card A — new balance is $0
  4. Request 2: Deduct $5 from card A — new balance is -$5
  5. Request 1: Add $5 to card B — new balance is $5
  6. Request 2: Add $5 to card B — new balance is $10

Repeat this process with a bunch of empty cards, and each one you transfer to you double your money.

Note: this is very illegal.

The fix for this kind of issue is pretty simple: ensure that (important parts of) your requests are handled atomically. Typically for websites this means implementing things with something called “transactions”. And, in case you’re wondering, yes, once upon a time it was possible to send double your nugget or gem balance to someone else on Mycena Cave, though we found and fixed that before anyone else did :)

So… back to your original question, what would have happened if you had sent the words at exactly the same time and gotten lucky? Not a lot. But had we failed to make sending words transactional, the following would have happened:

• Both spirits would have been marked as quelled before either of their word lists were extended
  • Both of the word lists would have gotten extended
  • Whichever request processed second would un-quell one of them when overwriting the field indicating which spirits have been quelled
  • It would have been very confusing

glitch Hah, that’s funny. How interesting! (and of course people used it to gain coffee money haha. How do you make your living? I sell illegal fake coffee money. XD )

pinging Glaive since they asked first

Posted 04/23/20

When can we claim the special prize?
Because I have sent a couple of words for the winter Guardian and 1 word for the summer Guardian but it keeps telling me I need to sent a word before I can claim.

Posted 04/24/20
Oh that’s super interesting! Thanks for the insight, Glitch! Also thanks for the ping, raus~
Posted 04/24/20, edited 04/24/20

Deliball

You have to have sent at least one word to each of them to claim the prize! ovo

Posted 04/24/20

So you have to sent 4 words, one to each Guardian, before you can claim the prize?
Because I though once you sent a word from the list you can at least claim that specific Guardian prize. Unless it takes a while before the system recognize you did the thing.

Posted 04/24/20

Deliball
That is how it’s supposed to work, yes. Potentially silly question, but you have sent the words directly to the guardians themselves and not to random users, right?

Posted 04/24/20

... just random users…
I guess missed that it had to be sent to the guardian directly.

Posted 04/24/20, edited 04/24/20

Hi everyone

The shop opening will be delayed briefly — we expect it to open within the next 20 minutes or so. Sorry for the inconvenience!

Posted 04/26/20, edited 04/26/20
Is there somehow I can see all versions of the art? Unless I’m crazy, there’s a before and after for all the guardians, right?
Posted 04/26/20
Eviiana I can help you out with that one!

Posted 04/26/20, edited 04/26/20
snafflewyrm thanks so much!
Posted 04/26/20
^-^  I thoroughly LOVED seeing the frosting/icing over sequence in the Cave as the Spirits were being defeated!!!
Posted 04/26/20

Heads up that we’ve just noticed that we aren’t able to send words back to at least a couple of players. No one has reported this as an issue, but if you’ve been sending out words and not getting anything back, that could be why. ;o;

Glitch is going to look into it when he gets a chance, but it’d be helpful to know if anyone else has run into this!

Posted 04/28/20
Okay, the issue has been found and resolved! We discovered that a small number of players who began playing the event after the shop opened were unable to receive words. The issue has been fixed, and all players participating in the event can now receive words.
Posted 04/28/20
Is there any way new words can be added to the event’s (and maybe spellstone’s) accepted words? It’s already happened to me a couple of times, and just now “shader” was rejected, which I know is a valid English word :D
Posted 05/01/20

Where are those consonants hiding? ^^

Posted 05/01/20

8( This game is unplayable.

Posted 05/02/20
If we have extra points, do they get wasted? Or at the end do they get turned into something else? I am going use the most amount of points I can, but I’m sure I’ll have a few stragglers. ^_^”
Posted 05/04/20
aw man… for some reason i thought i had one more day and was 100 tokens short of 1900… so i had to get the bag instead of buying the mushroom i wanted, and of course it gave me the wrong one. T_T I’m so sad
Posted 05/04/20, edited 05/05/20