20:14 ST
[EVENT] Cave Chronicles Wrap-up & Feedback Survey
The runestone participation prizes have been handed out!

Didn’t get the wild magic that you wanted?  Head over here to make an exchange with Kerric!

Did you forget to fill out the form in order to receive your participation prizes?  The due date has passed, but you can still echo Myla your encounter links and she will get you your participation prizes!

A month after the three explorers first split off to pursue their own clues, they gather again in their favorite hideout, a cozy cavern just large enough to hold them and a merry little campfire. Sieni brings a wooden box, one that she carries carefully across her back. Visk arrives with a pulsing orb cradled in his paw, and Kerric bounds in with a disc glowing persistently inside his bag.

Thanks to the help of some brave Mycenians, all three of them have something to show from the Sorceress’ chamber. Funny, isn’t it, how none of their assistants ran into one another? The Sorceress must have somehow shielded her chamber to prevent too many Mycenians from entering and wreaking havoc. They each briefly describe what their assistants found in the bottle-filled room, and then they turn their minds to figuring out what, exactly, they now have.

Sieni’s box turns out to contain a small, intricately-carved garden, full of tiny plants and trees that are painted with great detail. No one is sure who first gets the idea of placing the other two items within it. At some point, however, someone slides Visk’s orb into a hole in one of the tiny carved trees in Sieni’s garden, and it settles into place with a soft, almost contented hum. Sieni and Visk exchange a glance, and then Kerric takes out the glowing disc. It pulls slightly towards the boxed garden, as if drawn by it, and eventually Kerric finds a place for it in the branches of the central tree.

Kerric’s sketchbook

The hum grows briefly louder before fading away into silence. The disc dims, and an image rises from the boxed garden’s floor, a faint blue outline that solidifies as the trio draw closer.

It’s the Sorceress, miniaturized. She’s cloaked and hooded, so it’s impossible to make out any details, but the image can’t possibly be of anyone else if only because of the magic hanging heavily around the box. She stands for a moment at the central tree’s base, as if she’s waiting for the trio to see her. Then, slowly, deliberately, she begins to move through the small garden box, her blue-lit image ghosting between the plants.

The Sorceress carries a can with a spout, and she pours as she walks, watering the base of each painted plant she comes across. The disc begins to hum again, and more blue lines appear within the box, pooling around each plant that the Sorceress visits. The lines trail after her, snaking along the ground and shimmering faintly in her wake.

As the Sorceress makes her rounds, holographic plants sprout around two of the carved trees. They grow quickly, their glowing outlines rising up from the bottom of the box, clustered tight beneath painted branches. The blue lines stream towards these clustered images, flowing away from other carved plants in order to swirl here.

Someone gasps when black decay begins to crawl up one of the carved plants. It’s a flowering bush, colored prettily in greens and reds, but now a shadow is creeping up its roots and twining into its branches. There are no blue lines here; the Sorceress had visited the bush already, but all of its ‘water’ has been diverted to the central tree, around which three more holographic plants have appeared.

The decay spreads. As water is pulled towards the holographic plants, rot moves from carving to carving, and glowing blue cracks appear on the floor of the box. The two trees and their clusters of holographic plants are thriving—but at the cost of the rest of the little garden.

The Sorceress notices, eventually. Once she’s returned to her starting point at the central tree, she lowers her watering can and takes several steps sideways. She kneels, a shovel now in her paw, and begins to dig at the ground. She creates a moat of sorts, a channel leading away from the central tree and towards the next nearest plant, and the blue lines eddy into this narrow path. They course away from the tree, led by the Sorceress’ channel towards the flowering bush.

The image freezes there. The humming intensifies, and then all of a sudden, the disc goes dark and the holograms vanish. Sieni’s box is just a garden again, with no ghostly Sorceress or glowing blue lines winding between the carved plants.

Silence descends on the cavern. The three explorers continue to look at the garden for long minutes after, waiting in a reverent hush to see if the images come back, but it seems the Sorceress’ message has been delivered.

“We should bring this to Ledore,” Kerric says, breaking the silence. “Or someone else, at least, who knows magic. I’d say the Sorceress left us a clue, but it’s a little cryptic for me. Seems to me like she’s telling us we’re using too much magic in some places, but maybe that’s just what I want her to be saying, because then it’s something we can fix.” He glances at his two companions, but when neither of them offer a suggestion, he shrugs to himself and carefully removes the orb and the disc from the box.

When Kerric slides the lid back over the garden, the cavern feels dimmer somehow, as if something bright has been shuttered away. The campfire is still burning, though, and the three of them each have stories to tell of their separate adventures; and so they linger for just awhile longer, exchanging tales and trading theories as the Sorceress’ clue hovers over them. Strange things are happening in the Cave, but perhaps they’re now one step closer to figuring out why and how they can set things right again.

To be continued…

Thank you for participating in Cave Chronicles: Quest for the Lost Chamber! We hope you had a good time, and look forward to seeing you again for our next Cave Chronicles adventure!

As a reminder, this is order of events that have occurred so far:

• Magic surges have been destabilizing the Cave environment for unknown reasons
  • Data collection and analysis has pointed to a potential large center of unstable magic somewhere inaccessible and deep below in the Cave’s system
  • It was hypothesized that the Sorceress’ chamber may hold more clues and information on this magical destabilization
  • Adventurers (you!) were sent to look for the Sorceress’ chamber
  • Adventurers found odd trinkets in the chamber and brought it back to adventuring leaders
  • The trinkets were assembled into a message from the Sorceress which seemed to relate to the magical destabilization

What exactly does the Sorceress’ message mean? We ask that denizens of our Cave continue to consider her clue so that we can get to the bottom of this mystery before these magical fluxes tear asunder our homes, destroying life in the Cave as we know it. This problem doesn’t seem to be going away on its own, so it’s up to us Mycenians to act! Stay tuned for the next Cave Chronicles event, in which we will delve deeper into the magical mayhem that’s rocking the Cave!

In order to receive your prizes, please fill out this feedback survey. You are not required to answer most of the feedback questions if you don’t want to, but you must complete the last 2 questions if you would like to collect your Runestones. This survey will remain open until 23:59 on April 28th, after which prizes will be distributed and the post-event raffle will be drawn.

As this is the first time we’ve run a roleplay event quite like this one, we would highly value some feedback on your experience! Though your username is required in order to facilitate prize distribution, all feedback will remain anonymous when we compile the data into a summary post.

Edit: This survey is now closed. :) Thank you for responding, everyone!

***As a closing note: if you are interested in keeping or continuing your roleplay, please contact Crow or Dove and they will be happy to move your thread into the Mycena Stories subforum!***

Posted 04/22/17, edited 04/30/17
This event was really fun to participate in, rushed as my participation was! As a newbie, it was definitely a great introduction to the site. Can’t wait to see the next one, and I’d love to help out if you need a hand with things like the encounter flavor text.
Posted 04/22/17
I loved this event! I’ve done other collection events like Spell Sling, but this was my first RP event here. I was thrilled to meet some other Mycenians through it, and I can’t wait for the next one!
Posted 04/22/17
Do wish we had just a bit more time, but this was a lot of fun to play! I loved the dice-rolling feature that came with it too, it made for some…interesting roleplay situations. Lots of ‘oops’ moments. xD
Posted 04/22/17

Filled out and Feedback sent! I really enjoyed this event, and made lots of new friends. :)

Also Seren got to gouge a monster’s eye out hee hee

She kneels, a shovel now in her paw…

Everything I thought I knew about the sorceress is wrong.

Posted 04/22/17

I really, really like this event.
The past RP event felt more chore like, but this made me excited to post.
I haven’t written that much in a while!
Besides that, I’m glad I picked a random group. I made a new friend <3

Posted 04/22/17, edited 04/22/17

If we have a completed RP (as in we ended up finding the chambers after the three encounters) we only need to post the single link right?

Loved the event. I’m really happy I was able to complete it this time around. The dice-rolling definitely helped out with that!

Posted 04/22/17

This was a fantastic event, thank you so much! (And the dice roll options were a great touch…going to be using those at certain moments from here on, I do believe. xD)

Thank you extra for offering to move the threads to the stories subforum on request—we were already discussing continuing one of ours, so that couldn’t have been more perfect. :3

Posted 04/22/17

Thank you so much for all the hard word you put into the event and writing all the encounter for us! ^-^

I would like to see all the encounters posted somewhere sometime, just to see which ones I missed. ovo

Posted 04/22/17

Arintol
That would be a fun thing for someone to compile. 8)

Posted 04/22/17

Jacq
How did I miss that!? Paw, not hand. I had always assumed the sorcerer was a human, but it would seem that that is not the case.

Posted 04/22/17

I said as much in my feedback, but I loved this event. Love, love, loved it. I want there to be more. I need there to be more.

The dice mechanic, in particular, was brilliant. Besides looking forward to my partners posting, I was looking forward to *my* next post! It kept *me* on my toes, and it inspired me to consider different branches of how an encounter could go. How my characters could develop following a success or failure.

I felt a little rushed towards the end, but I don’t think the length of the event was the issue. The event was very do-able for those who work and still go to school. It’s just a matter of communicating with your rp partner(s).

I was privileged enough to have some awesome friends on this site, and we all had a mutual understanding on the quality our posts should stand and what days we should load up on posts. Communication was never an issue, so as someone who works close to full time and goes to class, I was a part of an rp thread of 2 other people, and we finished all 3 trials.

Understandably, it was a little challenging, but what kind of event shouldn’t be? It was fun and, again, do-able.

GREAT JOB, MC TEAM! <3

Posted 04/22/17

This event lined up terribly for me in terms of real life events, so unfortunately I didn’t get to participate at all, and was hardly online for the majority of it, which is a shame. I don’t feel I can really judge the event fairly because it was just more undue stress for me and was unfortunately timed. I apologise to my team for not getting in touch and probably ruining their experience too.

One thing I do want to mention is that the feedback survey is very geared towards people who managed to participate vs those who tried but couldn’t for various reasons. I understand those who did have more input regarding the format of the dice rolls etc, but I think those who didn’t could still deliver their thoughts on having more roleplay events in the future.

Edit: I mean, having more roleplay events as in having them be more of a common thing.

Posted 04/22/17, edited 04/22/17

I just submitted my form…. but I remembered something else to add right after haha, so I’ll post it here!

I think that the banner link for this event should have stayed up (alongside the Spell Sling link) as a reminder for us in the back of our heads! I was able to stay pretty on top of my RPs but I think it would have been nice. Also for people who hadn’t started yet, you could have definitely gotten in three encounters from the time that the Spell Sling started and maybe new people or people who haven’t been on or hadn’t started yet didn’t realize.

Posted 04/22/17

Thank you for such a fun event! I’ve been around on this site for probably a year now but have never really gotten into the RP/character lore side of things before deciding to give this event a go. Now I have a character that I really want to develop more, as I loved getting to know her while RPing with my partner! This event also made me feel more invested in the site’s lore as a whole, and I’m really interested to see what happens next. :)

I mentioned it in my survey response but I really enjoyed the optional dice rolling. It not only spiced things up but actually helped me to develop my character even further, as it gave me something to build off of each turn. We successfully managed to reach the sorceress’s chamber on the last day of the event; the event itself was the perfect length, though if it had been a few days more (or if we had gotten there a few days earlier!) we might have each continued for a few more posts but I like where we left off as well.

Another fun thing is that it let me get to know some more people from this site! I had a great time and am happy that despite the fact that I haven’t RPed in a long time, I didn’t feel like a novice, and I also feel like I got to work on my own skills.

Thanks again!

Posted 04/23/17
This is just my usual paranoia kicking in but do you have a survey from me? I think I filled on out but I’m not 100% sure ^^”
Posted 04/27/17

glitch Myla Crow Dove

So for the fun of it (and because I was curious) I’ve made a fun compiled list of all the encounters for each of the explorer paths and noticed something strange about one of the encounters that I was really wondering about.

The smooth ground beneath your feet gradually gives way to softer ground; a rich soil that would be perfect for gardening. Sieni’s fungus glows steadily as you make your way forward, the distant, faint sound of whispering voices carrying down the tunnel.

Encounter: Blue lillies.

Your group stumbles across an area carpeted with blue lilies; flowers that appear to be whispering with their own distinct voices. When you stop to listen more closely, you discover that each lily is whispering a sad tale, seemingly paying no attention to you or its neighbours. You decide to move on, but a member of your group accidentally steps on a nearby flower, and all of the lilies turn their heads your way, their petals rustling angrily and shifting to a dark red. Every movement from your group inspires them to spew fireballs at you, making it impossible to progress or retreat, and it quickly becomes apparent that you need to find a way to calm them down. Perhaps you can use their stories as inspiration?

Optional play:

• Each player:  Tell the flowers a sad story from your character’s past, rolling a d20 to see how effective the story is. Once three sad stories reach the flowers, they turn blue again.
    • 1 - 5: The story does not resonate with the flowers
    • 6 - 10: The story makes the flowers grow a little more calm.

This one says to roll a d20 but only lists options for 1-5 and 6-10, and with the options it gives it really feels like there should have been more. Strangely enough though after digging through the various player adventures I did manage to find another roll for this encounter but it too only has those options. Was this something on purpose or?

And sorry for digging this up but it really is confusing me. o.o

Posted 04/27/17, edited 04/27/17

Campi
I checked it out, and it actually looks as though that is the full text. While we were planning out the encounters originally, I think some of them said to roll a d10, which we eventually streamlined so every encounter would rely on a d20. I assume we must have just missed this one when updating the dice and numbers. Oops. >_>’

Posted 04/27/17

Crow

Oooooooh, okay thank you! I’ll shift it over to a D10 in my list thing. Thank you!

Also another quick question though, are we still allowed to use the encounters in the unfinished Event Rp’s (or maybe new ones not yet started) we’re still writing for? I wasn’t sure so I haven’t yet, but figured now was as good as any time to ask about it. :D

Posted 04/27/17

Campi
You could also change the roll numbers to 1-10 and 11-20, which is I think what they were supposed to be. :D

I don’t see any problem with you continuing to use the encounters! Staff obviously won’t be able to post them for you, but if you’ve got them all compiled for yourself anyway, feel free to utilize them! :) I’m glad that you enjoyed them enough to want to continue using them.

Posted 04/27/17
Reminder: you have until the end of the 28th to submit the prize and feedback form!
Posted 04/27/17
Final reminder: you have until the end of the 28th (today!!!) to submit the prize and feedback form!
Posted 04/28/17, edited 04/28/17

*pokes :3
Can someone check if there’s a form submitted from me? I’m pretty sure I filled it out but I don’t want to miss out of I didn’t…

Posted 04/28/17
Madara You did submit a form.
Posted 04/28/17
Okay :) Thanks for checking it for me ^^
Posted 04/28/17
Can someone check for me, too? I filled it out on my phone while on vacation and I keep getting this niggling feeling I forgot to press submit. Please and thanks!
Posted 04/28/17
Dash You submitted a form too.
Posted 04/28/17, edited 04/28/17
Can someone told me if I submitted one?  I’m pretty sure I did but can’t recall for sure. X. X
Posted 04/28/17

Miku
You did!

Posted 04/28/17
Can someone check if I turned mine in too…?
Posted 04/28/17