05:08 ST
New game ready for playtesting! [Updated 2/19]
This looks like a lot of fun! Thanks guys!
Posted 02/17/15
I’VE BEEN WAITING SO LONG FOR A WORD GAME I’M SO EXCITED ;A;
Posted 02/17/15

I love this game!!

It definitely isn’t giving me a full 60 minutes. I had 40 min left, but I got booted with the little “your game is over” thing. I wish I had taken note of how many words I had at the time.

Posted 02/17/15

Phew. This game takes quite a while. ouo

Edit: Oh wow.

Posted 02/17/15, edited 02/17/15
It has potential, but I’m noticing the same thing as Xiao and Aether… too many repeated letters so I’m just swapping out boards after looking them over for a minute or two. 5 O’s, 5 E’s, and 4 D’s on the same board doesn’t leave much to work with.
Posted 02/17/15
There might be an error with the letter generation. We’re looking into it. The game is in playtesting mode and there may be major or minor changes coming.
Posted 02/17/15
I’m having the same issue as a couple other people mentioned, where the letter selection isn’t lining up. I can’t wait til everything is worked out, this seems like a really cool game.
Posted 02/18/15

oooh fun new game :D played it for a bit! unfortunately, I don’t seem to have the patience (or time) to play the whole hour eAe;; but maybe once it can be played for nuggets, I can just play for as much time as I do have? :”) it also seems like it will be quite hard to beat the high scores already listed… everyone is so amazing oAo

daemon - how will we know who has the longest words (by letter)? :> just curious if there was already a list posted (unless that post was a joke lol)

Posted 02/18/15

I was playing the new game and it definitely didn’t let me play for 60 minutes either! Have been booted out of 2 or 3 games early already, usually only 20 min in game… kind of annoying…

also, I use google chrome, so I don’t know if this is affecting the game, but sometimes when I arrange a word and chose “submit” it will either lag and/or flash as if it’s registering the word, and then disappear as if it has registered the word (doesnt flash green or red tho), but it doesnt’ appear on the bottom nor do I get any points for it. If I do the word again, sometimes it will fix this, but usually I have to re-do the word 2 or 3 times to get it working…. :( Eventually the word will register, but now I’m not sure if half my words are even being submitted…

I know it’s playtest mode, just thought I’d throw out my problems @v@ looking forward to non-glitchy version of this game!

EDIT: Found another problem… I was refreshing it to help fix the weird glitchiness of it (so if it stopped registering words or saying “game over” id just refresh and it’d fix the problem) but close the about 13 or 12 minutes the timer went down to “game over” and I thought I’d refresh it cuz I was at about 1400k and thought I had more in me but then the refresh actually restarted it!!! Maybe the closer it is to the end time the more likely it will actually refresh your game ? :(

Posted 02/18/15, edited 02/18/15

I’d like to remind everyone of Section 4.3 of our rules. You may not use solvers or other external software to help you with this game. We have a number of signals we use and we can tell when you do.

If you have used such a tool on any Spellingstones board prior to this reminder, echo either myself or a mod and we will remove that game from our logs, and no further action will be taken. If you neglect to do so, or you use a solver etc after this reminder, it will be treated as the infraction of the rules that it is, and may lead to temporary or permanent loss of access to the games.

If you have an impressive score and did not use external software to help you, don’t worry, we can tell if your score is legit :)

Posted 02/18/15

Used the summer event word list I had backed up in my data files to find long words for this owo
Found easterlies, 10 letter… Sorry not sorry xD

Posted 02/18/15
The letter distribution issue has been fixed :)
Posted 02/18/15
Woah glitch thanks, a lot less repeats 8D
Posted 02/18/15
Lol, I actually managed a score of 9 with my fun IE problem. x3 I’m kind of amazed with myself.
Posted 02/18/15

I SUBMITTED A SCORE OF 1 EARLIER AFTER MAKING THE WORD POT, DON’T COUNT THAT GAME D8

I had like 20 seconds of computer time left and just wanted to touch everything before leaving

8D

Posted 02/18/15

I have a quick question glitch regarding the anti-cheating thing.

Do you guys factor in tab outs during a game? I often play when I’m watching youtube videos or I’m in chat, so I tend to tab out a lot (especially with the long time limit), so I just want to make sure that it’s not something I have to be worried about.

Posted 02/18/15

@Ishi, EVERYONE IS BANNED!

In all seriousness, that’s perfectly ok. We’re not going to be accusing people of cheating just because they take breaks while playing a board. Don’t worry about trying to not look like you’re cheating if you aren’t. =)

Posted 02/18/15
Onoes not banned. D:
Posted 02/18/15
Quick update

We’re pushing a rather extensive change later today, which is going to alter gameplay quite a bit. Since it’s a fundamental change, we’re going to need to wipe the highscore board. It’s only been a day so hopefully that will not put anyone out too much, but even so we’ll be sending out some compensation to people on the board when we make the switch. So here’s the plan:

1. Sometime later today, no new Spellingstones games will be able to be started
2. We’ll wait at least an hour for any existing games to finish
3. 1-5 on the highscores will receive 2 gems, 6-10 will receive 1 gem
4. The highscore list will be wiped
5. The new version will be released
6. The End-of-February scoreboard contest will begin again with this new version

Besides changing things up a bit in terms of gameplay, the new version fixes the IE clicking issue and has an optimized letter distribution.

Posted 02/19/15, edited 02/19/15
Oh man! I actually find the update about optimized letter distribution to be super exciting. No more boards with a bunch of qs and zs and less common vowels~ Can’t wait.
Posted 02/19/15
-stares intently at glitch until update happens- o3o
Posted 02/19/15
*eats the baord*
Posted 02/19/15
Enjoy!
Posted 02/19/15

New version has been pushed! It’s also been renamed to “Spellstones” because magic is more fun than spelling :)

High scores for the old version were:

1. Plasma with 9456
2. Aether with 8224
3. R4gn0r0k with 6432
4. Xiao with 6429
5. crabbySeer 5184
6. Ourloonybin with 4765
7. Songbird with 4173
8. Sallin with 4041
9. lollobrigida with 3883
10. Stanari with3858

I’ve sent 1-5 2 gems, and 6-10 1 gem :)

I think the letter generation is still off—my board has lots of the same letters all clustered together.

Might also be nice to mess w/ the graphics a bit—for some reason, it’s giving me a lot of trouble reading it. I don’t know it it’s the uneven shapes, or the BG colors.

On the plus side, it’s working fine on IE and I’m having fun giving it a proper try now. ^^

Someone else commented that the colors were too bright!  If the colors are bothering people, I can go back to greyscale or something not as blinding if anyone has suggestions. :)  I tried greyscale on this version and it looked super boring which is why it has color now.. hehehhee.
Posted 02/19/15
If you get a “state error” popup, this is the new incarnation of the premature-timeout bug — which is good because I’m narrowing down what is causing it and should be able to fix it soon :D
Posted 02/19/15

@Myla: A few color suggestions—desaturated primaries might help provide more contrast. Other suggestion would be to pick one color and do multiple tones of it.

Actually, yeah, now that I’m thinking about it, all the tiles are currently different colors but the same tone. Contrast in tone might help a lot with reading.

oh goodness, i had a score of 1002 and then the game told me “state error, please refresh” and when i hit submit it just refreshed and didn’t actually submit my score (at least i don’t think it did, it’s not on the high scores list) ;n;
Ouch! I’m sorry to hear that :< I’ve just pushed an update which will hopefully alleviate the issue until I can figure out a proper fix
Posted 02/19/15