08:10 ST
New game ready for playtesting! [Updated 2/19]

thanks for working on it so hard!! ;w;

a suggestion, maybe… is there any way to code it so that there are never completely unusable letters? for example, i’ve seen a ‘q’ that doesn’t touch a ‘u’ in any way, so that letter becomes completely unusable.

Posted 02/19/15, edited 02/19/15
That explains the 2 gems. It has been bothering me LOL.
Posted 02/19/15

Wow - I went to see what the colors thing meant and the new layout is definitely more challenging to see where the words can be formed. I like having more letters, but it definitely is not as easy to read/solve.

The colors are also definitely too bright/matchy so that when I stare at the board for too long then look away at the white I get those residual squares from my eyes adjusting.

The monotone/greys would be appreciated or at least less neon/shiny appearance to the colors.

Posted 02/19/15

Oh, I’m excited to play the new version!  I really love this game quite a bit :D

Thanks so much for the gems, can’t wait to play the updated version!

Posted 02/19/15
Oh dear. I really liked the old board better. This one gives me a hard time. D:
Posted 02/19/15
Would there be any way to add more words because I’ve found some words that are words but they don’t count.
Posted 02/19/15
I keep getting stuck pretty far into the game and wondering if there are still valid words left. Does the game let you know if you’ve found every possible word?
Posted 02/19/15

Whoa, that really is a big change. I like it. It’s different and it looks like the letters are randomating more now - thank you!

In terms of the colors, I’m not sure if that’s been changed since I got a look at the new board but I think for me it’s more about the spacing in between the stones rather than the color itself. The gaps seem a bit wide and tend to pull my attention away so I lose my place. It’s not exactly a bad thing since it makes the game more difficult, but it does make me wonder what the game would be like if the stones were just right next to each other with no gaps, but still in this pattern.

Posted 02/19/15, edited 02/19/15

I probably won’t play this game much, but I really like the layout change. I’ve never seen a word game with that sort of design - looks almost like a mosaic - and oddly enough the scrambled feel to it actually helps me see the possible letter connections with significant more ease than before.

In regards to what others have mentioned: I can see why the coloring might bug some people, though it doesn’t upset me. And I actually quite like the spacing between the stones. :o

Posted 02/19/15

Seems to be working for IE11 now. :)

I could not do much before my brain fritzed out, but it’s nice to have a game that’s word related and not math/logic related for a change. (I have never been able to figure out the mushroom or echolocation games.)

Posted 02/20/15
I love the change! It looks so unique and special and very different than what I’ve seen before! Amazing! The colors are calming to me and the words are easier to see in this layout :)
Posted 02/20/15
The color change is much better! Though, I’m definitely not getting those high scores I was getting with the standard layout. I’m not sure when the high scores reset, but I’d be curious to see how different they are with this new layout.
Posted 02/20/15

Chimerical: No, it doesn’t let you know when there are no valid words left, but I don’t think it’s possible to reach that point within 60 minutes. We’re talking multiple hundred words here :)

Auswren: the board you see now is with the new colors — the tiles used to be pale red, blue and green.

lollobrigida: I cleared the high-scores when I pushed the new version for the game, so all the scores you see there have been achieved with this new version!

——

I’m glad to see the general consensus with this game is very positive :D I’m… playing it more than I should, myself >>

Posted 02/20/15

Bae is not an accepted word. :D

Curse me and my limited vocabulary OTL

Posted 02/20/15

@Queen Elsa: Lol, right? I keep forgetting and trying to submit technical jargon, words in other languages, and proper nouns.

“WHADDOYOU MEAN MIG ISN’T A WORD? I HAVE WELDING SKILLS THAT SAY OTHERWISE.”

Posted 02/20/15

I keep trying to submit names too xD Like Ben and Logan

and then I cry because I don’t know anything else ROFL

Posted 02/20/15
Interesting! I must not be as good as I thought I was with spacial word formation! The other version I was getting close to the top 10, with this new one I’m barely breaking 1000 points.
Posted 02/20/15

What are you using for word recognition? It wont accept some words that do exist, I’ve tried goalee and lux and noir today (and for a second thought it wasn’t registering medulla but I just didn’t have an extra l woops!) but I’m sure I’ve had more than that but some words don’t exist when I coulda sworn they do? (dictionary.com has them when I look em up so :( wow I wish i had more examples tho hahah)

EDIT: Oh no!!! I was in the middle of playing a board and a popup appeared that said “state error: please refresh” so I did thinking my game would still be there, but it just reset the game instead, didn’t submit my score or anything :(

EDIT 2: Okay, so that state error please refresh thing that happened to me before is now happening more than once and it continues to happen… :(((( help…  this has made the game virtually unplayable for me

Posted 02/21/15, edited 02/23/15

@Crev: we’re using the 2of12inf dictionary, which needs some tweaking but overall is pretty good

And yeah, we’re working on those state errors…

Posted 02/24/15

I had a connection error on my end (my router is an absolute troll) and thought I’d lost my game but when I got everything stabilized the game was still there and I was able to keep playing. Just wanted to say I thought that was pretty cool. I can’t think of any other sites with games that can withstand being disconnected like that.

I’m still looking over boards and judging them before starting a game, but I think that’s going to be an aspect of the game even after it gets out of playtest mode. Every once in awhile I’m still coming across boards with lots of duplicate letters but it’s better than it was :)

Posted 02/25/15

Yep, your board lasts as long as your MC session :D It’s just the occasional “state error” that kills it… but I just pushed an update which will hopefully fix it!

So… knock on wood, maybehopefully no more state errors ever again? :D:D:D In any case, I now have code which emails me if a state error happens, so I’ll know if it does.

Posted 02/25/15

Okay! The end of the month has arrived, and the scores were:

# User Score Date
1 crabbySeer (#2666) 14256 February 25th
2 baekhesten (#1971) 7839 February 28th
3 Ourloonybin (#847) 7605 February 23rd
4 Kite (#789) 6353 February 19th
5 Kris (#17) 5969 February 24th
6 Auswren (#52) 5590 February 22nd
7 Sallin (#1428) 5238 February 28th
8 Runi (#2761) 4681 February 20th
9 plaidLabrador (#1963) 4574 February 21st
10 Xiao (#2727) 3008 February 28th

As a reminder, each person on the highscore board wins their place: 1st place = 10 gems, 2nd place = 9 gems, etc. The gems have been distributed :)

Thanks again for playing! I hope to bring Spellstones out of playtesting very soon!

Also… my hat goes off to crabbySeer. That was an amazing game :D

Posted 03/01/15, edited 03/01/15

I’m understand the dictionary not recognizing foreign words or proper nouns, but surely “boreal” is in neither of those categories. Harumph ;)

This is a fun game, but I find I’m refreshing a lot until I get a “good” board - one without too many “Z"s, “Q"s, or clumps of vowels.

edit: I guess it is fixed now, but I was getting state errors whenever I navigated away from the page. I thought it was a deterrent for people looking up words lol.

Posted 03/02/15, edited 03/02/15

Some words not recognized that are definitely words:

indebt
indebted
debts

Recognized words that are not words:
vet -> is an abbreviation for either veteran or veterinarian.
vets

Posted 03/02/15
It’d be amazing to see how CrabbySeer got that board… Like an epic fast forwarded game omg
Posted 03/03/15

Recognized words that are not words:
vet -> is an abbreviation for either veteran or veterinarian.
vets

It’s also a verb! ^^ To vet something is to examine critically - for example:

The company vets all of its employees’ backgrounds to make sure they are suitable.

It has its origins in the actual vetting process - where vets would have had to examine their patients carefully to see what, if anything, was wrong with them. It’s generally used in the context that you’re examining something for a purpose - you wouldn’t just ‘vet a tennis ball’, but you would ‘vet a tennis ball to see if it was bouncy enough to be used’. I realise that’s a rather clunky example, but you get the gist of it. XD

...And I also realise that I’m rambling, sorry. I’m procrastinating on a project and that usually expresses itself in the form of my Googling random things and elaborating on unnecessary facts about what I’ve Googled to anyone in the vicinity/people online for no good reason.

Posted 03/05/15

Some words not recognized that are definitely words:

indebt
indebted
debts

indebted and debts are both in the dictionary. Perhaps you had already submitted them? I’ve updated the game UI to make it cleared if you’re about to submit a word you’ve already tried. As for indebt, I don’t think it’s a word in modern English.

If you know of a word missing from the dictionary, please submit it here :)
Posted 03/05/15, edited 03/05/15
Imagine my consternation to find “Yolo” was not in the game’s dictionary ;)
Posted 03/05/15
I’m curious about how the nugget payouts will work for this, seeing as how there’s such a wide variety of scores, numerically speaking. Any thoughts yet?
Posted 03/06/15
Yeah it can get kinda hard to make a word especially if you can’t use ones already close to the last highlighted letter x.x
Posted 03/07/15