11:25 ST
[Cave Challenge] Grids (Solved!)
Someone has received the medallion for solving the puzzle! See the solution here.

Need something to puzzle over while you wait for the DING?

Have you been waiting to get your hands on a shiny
Gold Medallion?

Note: It’s been a while since we’ve done one of these… the last one was over six months ago. The overwhelming response to the challenges we had (which were predominantly “codebreaking”) was that the kind of skills necessary to complete them was not fair, as they relied on skills not available to most Mycena Cave players. We took this feedback to heart and have come up with a number of new challenges which encompass a much greater variety of skills.

This challenge is certainly challenging, but does not rely on esoteric skills like codebreaking, mathematical ability or computer-knowledge. If it does not appeal to you, never fear, there will be other (different) opportunities to earn Gold Medallions in the near future.

With Spring in the air, the Bone Monster has been getting a little drowsy, and also a little bit forgetful. There was a word it was trying to remember… or was it two words? or three? It couldn’t remember. But it was something short and simple, and important.

The Bone Monster was worried it might forget, and so it drew up a reminder: (click the image for a larger version, or get a spreadsheet version here)

Unfortunately, as the Bone Monster looked over the grid, it found that it still had no idea what it was that it was trying to remember.

Can you help?

If you can figure out what it was that the Bone Monster was trying not to forget, send it as an echo to the Bone Monster with the subject Cave Challenge: Grids. Make sure there is nothing other than your answer in the echo.

Logistics:

• If you’re the first to get it right, the Bone Monster will congratulate you and give you a Gold Medallion
  • If you get it right but are not the first, the Bone Monster will congratulate you on getting it right anyway, but will not give you a Gold Medallion
  • If you get it wrong, the Bone Monster will not reply at all.
  • You can use the same echo thread to try multiple answers, as long as each try is in its own echo
  • If this challenge is won by a staff member, a second Gold Medallion will be given to whoever gets it second
  • When I notice that somebody has won, I will update this thread so that people know
  • Event rules apply: “Using outside tools or software is allowed (as long as they conform to the rules in section 7.2)”

As a final note: you aren’t expected look at this and know what to do. It’s something you can play with, mull over, and if inspiration strikes you with an idea, give it a try to see if it works! :)

Posted 04/08/15, edited 04/09/15

LOL I DON’T GET IT.
“...wut” was my literal response.

Anyways, good luck to whomever is attempting this!

Posted 04/08/15
Yup, no clue how to do this. Haha. Good luck everyone!
Posted 04/08/15
What is this even. ouo
Posted 04/08/15

Oh my what is this?

I may or may not attempt it at some point @u@

Posted 04/08/15

“LOL I DON’T GET IT.
‘...wut’ was my literal response.”

Same here.

Posted 04/08/15
glitch is making the difference between the L’s and i’s more prominent; stay tuned (sorry!) :P
Posted 04/08/15

I think I have an idea what’s going on here!

...I may be wrong, or Staff might be trying to fake me out…..

working on it. wish me luck!

WAIT, nvm, waiting on that edit. lmk when it’s done!

Posted 04/08/15
Okay!  Both have been updated!  Make sure you double check the L’s and the i’s if you started working on it already!
Posted 04/08/15
Thank you c:
Posted 04/08/15
I might give it a try.
Posted 04/08/15
Oh gads it’s an alphabet Sudoku thing o.o! Will be, rereading this, to attempt to understand it xD
Posted 04/08/15
I’ve been coming back to peer at it each time my timer dings since it was posted…but nope, have not miraculously gained an understanding of it |D;;
Posted 04/08/15
zero clue what it means but i think i’m doing something?? it’s great for keeping me from staring at the timer though LOL
Posted 04/08/15

/weeps into notepad and excel/

brain cannot parse letters

eeee

;___;

Posted 04/08/15
I made an attempt. hides.
Posted 04/08/15
Ah, I get it but I’ve never played the thing before so I gave up pretty fast, haha. I can’t expect to learn how to play it and be done before everyone else xD Good luck to the people that give it a go! I’ll be waiting for the next time they give out one of these.
Posted 04/08/15
Of all the nights for this to happen XD If I wasn’t doing an all nighter to prepare for an exam I would be tearing into this thing. These puzzles are the best and I’ll be looking forward to more.
Posted 04/08/15

to all those attempting this:

Posted 04/08/15
i feel like i have the answer but am just formatting it wrong somehow in my echo >____>;;;;
Posted 04/08/15, edited 04/08/15
It looks like a sudoku grid, kinda….that’s what I thought it was at first and I got so excited xD
Posted 04/08/15
I can’t do it, so I just want to know what on earth it is!
Posted 04/08/15
I answered but I don’t seem to have gotten it right either. That bone monster is awful tricksey
Posted 04/08/15

*groans*
I just beat my head for ages against this, only to realize the one I printed out is actually different than the one that’s here. I guess I jumped the gun.

Ah well, still functionally the same, and might be easier since I can fix the first grid to not be super confounding.
Back to the grind!! :D

Posted 04/09/15, edited 04/09/15

Giving it a shot!

(That time when you figure out the first part and are baffled by the second…)

Posted 04/09/15, edited 04/09/15
Urg, almost got it but I must have a small error somewhere. Ah well, good night all.
Posted 04/09/15
how do you message the bone monster?
Posted 04/09/15
Etheralsnow Enter the ID #1 or the name Bone Monster in the recipients field. Or click this link.
Posted 04/09/15
Thank you very much.
Posted 04/09/15
Gahh, this is hard! D8< I keep thinking I’ve got it, but then it get stuck.
Posted 04/09/15