16:41 ST
[EVENT] Legend of the Lost Trove (August 18th - August 31st)

So far as infamous pirates go, Captain Kitt is said to have been the best of the worst. Tales of his high seas treachery have circulated the Cave for as long as anyone can remember, and there isn’t a seaside settlement that doesn’t bear the aged scars of his ruthless attacks. It’s said that he amassed a treasure so great that a single trove couldn’t hold it all.

Small deposits of treasure attributed to his exploits have been discovered intermittently throughout the years. It’s been sunken, buried, and even tucked away beneath floorboards and behind walls. Still, snippets of rumors and notes referencing a much greater trove continue to circulate — motivating pirates and historians alike to scour the seas in search of glory and unimaginable riches.

Most recently, a story has surfaced about the discovery of a potentially cursed map, and the destruction of one of the most fearsome crews to sail the seas. It’s said that the crew of the Winter Queen uncovered this map buried within one of Kitt’s many smaller troves. It’s also said that their captain was so excited to make this discovery that he ordered them to set out immediately, without so much as a nugget of treasure.

Details of their ill-fated voyage are sparse. Some say there was a storm, a battle, or some sort of accident. Others argue that the Winter Queen shattered upon a reef somewhere along the way, leaving the crew stranded for a time. While the reason may remain a mystery, what has been confirmed as fact is that the Winter Queen’s crew disbanded after the disastrous journey, and have not sailed since.

Split into nine equal pieces, the map was supposedly distributed among the crew at their parting. A memento, perhaps, of the goal they once shared — or the voyage that broke them apart. With the map effectively out of play, Kitt’s lost trove remains unclaimed to this very day.

It is following these rumors, bolstered by some careful fact-checking and research, that has led you to the humble seaside settlement of Saltrock Cove. You arrive armed with nothing but some old, faded wanted posters and a healthy dose of determination. You don’t believe in curses — but you do believe in treasure, and you intend to track down the map and finally claim Captain Kitt’s legendary trove.

Overview

This event will be somewhat similar in composition to last summer’s Into the Caves event in that there will be several challenges to complete as you work your way towards uncovering Kitt’s trove. The biggest difference is that this will be a play-at-your-own-pace journey rather than offering a daily challenge for players to complete!

Each member of the Winter Queen’s crew is in possession of part of the map, and it’s your goal to obtain all of the pieces and follow them to the treasure. The hub page for this event will contain links to each of the crewmates’ challenges, and upon completion, you will be awarded their piece of the map. Once all nine pieces are obtained, you may set out to uncover the lost treasure!

Be warned, however, that no pirate worth their sea salt would make the fruits of their labor so easy to find. Grab a shovel and all the upper body strength you can muster, and be prepared to do a fair amount of digging once you reach the island!

This event will begin at 00:01 ST on August 18th and run through 23:59 ST on August 31st. Once word has gotten around as to the location of Kitt’s trove, you can expect the scavengers to have picked the place clean by 23:59 ST on September 7th.

Prizes

Prizes will be made available to you as soon as you uncover the hidden trove, with the prize shop opening for everyone regardless of individual progress at the end of the event’s duration.

• Players will receive 2 points for every crew challenge they complete, earning a maximum of 18 points to spend in the prize shop.
  • Players who discover the trove themselves will be awarded with a free event coat mushroom.
  • There are a total of 2 event coats and 9 event items.
    • The event coats are a Dog Ineki and River Kelph, and will be priced at 8 points each.
    • The items will be priced at 1 point each.
    • Additionally, there will be one free participation item available to everyone.

This means that players who attain 100% completion for this event will be able to obtain one of everything, if they wish. Players who do not personally find the lost trove will be limited by the number of challenges they completed - if you complete everything except the final challenge, you will be able to afford all of the items and one coat or both coats or two copies of each item, but will need to wait until the end of the event’s duration to purchase your prizes.

Event Rules
  1. Be mindful of other players’ experiences.
    • You are welcome to make a player organized help thread or chat room, but please be mindful of spoilers in public venues. This includes solutions to any of the daily challenges.
  2. You are welcome to help each other with the challenges posed by activity days unless otherwise stated.
  3. Follow all of Mycena Cave’s rules.
    • Multi-accounting is not allowed.
    • You may not participate in any part of this event on an account other than your own.
  4. Have fun!

Posted 08/11/17, edited 08/18/17
I loved the way Into the Caves was put together, so I am ridiculously excited for this event! Also PIRATES YESSSS
Posted 08/11/17

Chicken does pirates sound familiar

like space pirates

also im ridiculously excited for this aaaa !!

Posted 08/11/17
Ooh! This looks really fun!
Posted 08/11/17
this sounds super exciting! I’ll look forward to it :0!
Posted 08/11/17

I’m excited for play-at-your-own-pace journey, considering I have a more limited window on when I’m online lately.

Avery is all ready for the event too! Perfect timing for me to create another pirate character 8D

Posted 08/11/17
I-I’m daunted by the map being cursed.  I’ll have to put forth my most fearless (clueless?) adventurers for this one =D treasures!  Shiny!!!  I can’t wait to get started =)
Posted 08/11/17
This is the most excited I’ve felt about an event for some time now!! I’m so unbelievably excited, I can’t wait! Thank you to the MC staff for putting this on :)
Posted 08/11/17

Alpaca I KNOW I was basically just like, instantly like “the mer are involved somehow I can feel it Teak is gonna get so much treasure”

I’m so pumped this event is gonna be amazing I can sense it -bounces-

Posted 08/12/17
Riverkelphriverkelphriverkelph OuO ahhhh im so exciiiiited! Valen might need the help of some of my sea-dwellers in his hunt for shinies!
Posted 08/12/17
Purrates, are you ready? >:o !!
Posted 08/12/17

Kiwi

“N-no…”

Posted 08/12/17

YO HO HO

im excited, what a cute event!

Posted 08/12/17
YES YES COOL EVENT
Posted 08/13/17
Yeeessss! So excited! And I’m relieved it’s a play-at-your-own-pace event too, because this particular event is happening during the north american solar eclipse and I’ll be out of town with questionable internet access for several days right in the middle of the event. I hope I’ll be able to catch up with you guys! Can’t wait. I looooove pirate stuff!! <3
Posted 08/13/17
Sounds like fun~! :D
Posted 08/13/17
Oh man, this looks fun! Can’t wait for it to start <3
Posted 08/14/17
Yay! Can’t wait to see another beautiful kelph design!
Posted 08/14/17

“Blood in the water I sing,
and one who shed it:
deadliest hunger I sing, and one who fed it-

weaving the ancient-most tale
of the Sea’s sending:
singing the tragedy,
singing the joy unending

This is our shame-
this is the whole Ocean’s glory:
this is the Song of the Twelve.
Hark to the story!

Hearken, and bring it to pass:
swift lest the sorrow
long ago laid to it’s rest
devour us tomorrow!

- Diane Duane

I really like that kelph.

Posted 08/14/17
... well now i need a fan pet of ed. thanks Jacq :p
Posted 08/14/17

(lol me too doradora)

Do all the pets for this event require fodder?

It says we get a mushroom if we find the trove ourselves, but it doesn’t say whether the points-purchasable coats are pets or mushies.

Posted 08/14/17, edited 08/14/17
I have Reef rearin’ to go! Let’s do this!
Posted 08/15/17
Jacq Prizes from this event are all items (either equippable or mushrooms).
Posted 08/17/17
Temporary Update: trading from new accounts

Hi everyone! Due to the nature of the prize structure for this event (earning of prizes throughout this event is not necessarily spaced out over a long period of time), we are temporarily making it such that accounts less than a week old are unable to trade or transfer. This restriction will give us time to detect and respond to people opening multiple accounts for the purposes of acquiring extra event prizes, and the restriction will be removed again once the event ends. If you find that you are unable to complete a trade or transfer and one of the accounts involved is very new, simply wait until the account is at least one week old, or until after the event. I apologize for any inconvenience!

Posted 08/17/17, edited 08/17/17
UMMMMMMM THE PIRATE ART IS AWESOME
Posted 08/18/17

I really like Silvertooth’s game! It’s a lot of fun.

Edit: Aw… Is there a way we can replay it?

Posted 08/18/17, edited 08/18/17

I’m gonna fight Captain Crookskale. -mutters aloud these crazy sounding things- Entertaining and frustrating xD

[Edit] nvm that was easy after the first one. But THE JUMBLE. Still I got that. But THE SCAVENGER HUNT. -lights self on fire-

More importantly, Ashe’s game doesn’t work on mobile. Boo.

Posted 08/18/17, edited 08/18/17
I pushed an update to the crossword image!  #21 wasn’t labelled on the crossword and there was one too many boxes for 28 across. :O
Posted 08/18/17
Would it be possible to play the games again? (like the dice one, or the Risk-ish one) Just for fun, I mean.
Posted 08/18/17
Pllleeeeaaasseee :D?
Posted 08/18/17