06:53 ST
[FORUM GAME] Flower Painting & Flower Arranging - Discussion Thread (fill out the submission form!)
Submissions are now closed!

The Submission Form will be open from July 4th through July 10th.

>>>You can find the Submission Form here.<<<

Flower Painting & Flower Arranging

This is the Discussion Thread. Feel free to ask questions & chat about this forum game all you want in this thread, but please submit your entries in the Flower Painting and Flower Arranging Submission Threads.

This event consists of two parts: One part coloring and one part creative writing or drawing. You may participate in each part separately, and an entry for either part can be submitted for one raffle ticket in an overall raffle!

This forum game will run from June 18th, 0:00 ST through July 3rd, 23:59 ST, after which you will have until July 10th, 23:59 ST to submit your entries via the Submission Form.

Prizes
Raffle

The Submission Form will be open from July 4th through July 10th. You can find the Submission Form here.

Each entry you post (Flower Painting or Flower Arrangement) counts as one raffle ticket. At the end of the event, you are asked to submit a list of links to your entries, of which you will be able to (optionally) choose one as your chosen raffle preference. The form will also allow you to (optionally) choose a preferred base and/or pose.

The owner of the winning ticket will have their chosen raffle preference designed for them as an artistic freedom custom to be delivered to their account as a custom pet. The custom will be created on an unedited base, and may include a small edit (up to the artist’s discretion).

For every 100 participants, an additional winning ticket will be drawn.

Participation Prize

Each player who posts at least one Flower Painting or Flower Arrangement and submits it via the submission form will receive a copy of the participation prize delivered to their account.

Shout-out to Myla for designing these lovely Picture Frames! These picture frames will be visible on the forum only. The picture frame can be equipped to your pet from the inventory and, if you have selected that pet as your avatar pet, will show as a frame around your avatar.

Handy Dandy Links Section
Posted 06/17/16, edited 07/04/16

Oooh, very excited for this event! I have some questions about entries;

Should all work for the flower arrangement be new/made just for this event? Can it be based off pre-existing work?

Basically, I have a bunch of premade mockups that I like the design aspects of. If I did a new flower design based off a mockup I already have, then submit a new (lets say human or anthro) art design for them, would that count as an entry for both categories? Or should all work be 100% new and not based on any existing work?

Posted 06/18/16

Lord Each Flower Arranging entry should contain new work that meets the minimum requirements by itself. You may use artwork created previously as long as you include writing that is new, or use writing written previously as long as you include artwork that is new.

Artwork or writing created for this event that is based on pre-existing work is absolutely fine!

If you submit a Flower Painting based on pre-existing work, and submit a Flower Arrangement inspired by it, they could be submitted for a total of two raffle tickets.

Thanks for asking! I’ve tweaked the Flower Arranging instructions to include this :)

Posted 06/18/16, edited 06/18/16
How many entries are we allowed to submit in all? Or is there no limit? B/c I am totally willing to inundate you guys with flowers, ngl.
Posted 06/18/16

Wow! This looks really exciting!!

Edit: So for the entries, would it be best to have one post and edit in any additional submissions? Or would it be better to just go through, post by post and make a new one each time?

Losty There is no limit to the amount of entries you are allowed to submit. We were torn on whether to add a cap, as we were worried players might not give their best for each entry they submit if submitting more entries could increase their chance to win with an entry of their choice. On the other hand, setting a cap would mean players would try to force creativity to reach that cap, or possibly color outside the lines and find ways to submit more entries than they are allowed to.

We may run similar events in the future, so if it doesn’t end well this time, we’ll make sure to add a cap in the future. In the mean time, for this round, we’ll be doing a rigorous random minimum requirement check on the submitted entries.

THAT SAID. I can’t wait to see all the amazing flower paintings & arrangements I know all of you are going to come up with :D! Eee~

Condor One post per entry, please! :)

Can we edit the lineart? Gonna go re-read to check but figured I’d ask here just in case.
Posted 06/18/16
Malis Yes, you can edit the flower lineart! However, should an entry with an edited flower win, the edits will be disregarded in the artistic freedom custom design.

Can the Picture Frame be layered on top of a background?
Like picture frame + chilly caverns?

And they would be like the background, in the sense there would be no reason to have more than one other than to sell them or collect them for our own purposes (since only one can be seen at a time on the forum)?

Yup, that’ll work! And yes, you’ll only effectively have use for one. I’ll ask glitch what the possibilities are for making it exactly like the backgrounds (i.e. another item you can ‘apply’ to your account, which does not need to be equipped to individual pets when you’re changing them).

For the Flower Arranging portion-are we allowed to make mockups based off a flower on site lineart?
Posted 06/18/16
Can a submission for the flower arranging portion of the event be just a coloured headshot or must it be a fullbody? Cause I’m really bad at drawing fullbodies.

[@Espurr] You’re certainly allowed to do a mock-up inspired by the flower, but much like editing flower lines, if that entry wins, it is up to the artist’s discretion as to how closely they will follow the mock-up in the artistic freedom custom design.

ClearBright A Flower Arrangement can be any piece of artwork, as long as it is at minimum a colored or black/white shaded sketch :)

A headshot (coloured or black/white shaded) is fine, but so is a scenic piece or i.e. an item/piece of equipment inspired by the flower! As long as it is clear in which way the flower painting inspired the piece and it is more than just a quick scribble, it will meet the minimum requirement :) So if you wanted to, say, design a weapon equip and describe what this weapon means to the flower’s character, that’d be fine, too!

Hopefully, there are more of those frame items in the near future. It is a nifty idea.
Posted 06/18/16

Is there a certain minimum the flowers have to be at in order to be counted for a ticket, like a color or detail amount? Would I be able to use an image or pattern as a part of the flower?

Thanks for the help :)

Posted 06/18/16
Akira Juney at the moment these are regular items so they’ll equip to individual pets, but if this sort of things turns out to be popular / well liked, we can decide whether to make them their own category of thing :)
Can you guys make it so users can hide the forum game, please? I don’t want to hide the entire announcements thread. It’d be very much appreciated.
Posted 06/18/16
Ally On the “recent posts” page, click the little eyeball icon on the right hand side of the thread title of any thread you want to hide :)
Posted 06/18/16
Thank you! “Eye” never knew what that did, lol. /shot
Posted 06/18/16
Glad we got that loose end t-eye-d up!
Posted 06/18/16
I have a question about entering the Flower Arrangement: I understand that the entry needs to involve new work. However, if the flower inspires me to write about a character I already have that’s not on site but related to one of my current characters/pets, can I still use that basis to do my written entry?
Posted 06/18/16

Madara Using a pattern as part of the flower is perfectly alright! While it’s absolutely not our intention for players to force creativity and churn out a ton of flowers, there is no minimum requirement for flowers except for them to be completely colored (and if parts are intentionally left white/transparent, that’s still fine, too!) :)

glitch Okay, thank you!

Juneberry You’re absolutely allowed to write a new piece based on a pre-existing character — my own example arrangement was about a character I’ve had for years!

Posted 06/18/16
I’m assuming the arrangement, if not done in writing, needs to be a drawing specifically, and not digital art / photomanip, even if it puts together source images in a way that a significant amount of new art is being created from the images?
Posted 06/18/16
diaveborn Digital art/photo manipulation would also be alright! However, as I’m not completely sure what you interpret as being digital art/photo manipulation, you can always send me an echo with the entry to check before posting :)
Posted 06/18/16

Could someone explain this event? I don’t completely understand it.

Basically, you design a flower with lore? Then what? I know there’s an ‘open/closed’ for adoption, but I don’t get that either.

Just explain the whole thing to me someone xD

Posted 06/18/16
I’m kind of in the same boat as ArtyKityCat here, but also curious… do we have to design a flower to do the writing part, or can they be done completely separate from one another? I might just be misunderstanding, but figured I should ask just in case.
Posted 06/18/16

[@ArtyKittyCat]

You can design a flower (“Flower Painting”) AND/OR design a character or write a creative piece inspired by a flower (“Flower Arranging”).  That’s about all there is to it. ^^  If you design a flower, you can label it as “open” if you want to allow other people to potentially use it for the flower arranging part, or “closed” if you don’t want anyone but you to use the design.

One entry will get you a participation prize (the frame item) and a one raffle ticket for the artistic freedom custom.  If you do multiple entries, you still only get one participation prize, but then you would get multiple raffle tickets toward the artistic freedom custom.

Silent
You do not have to design a flower yourself to do the writing part.  Any flower labelled “open” is available for you to use for the writing part!  Just pick one you like or that inspires ideas for a character. :)

Posted 06/19/16
Can we create multiple entries for the same flower? (i.e. a story and a drawing)
Posted 06/19/16
[@Espurr] Ahh, you’d want to split them up to be eligible for another ticket? I’d personally put two flower arrangement pieces for one character in one entry together, but yes, you’re allowed to submit multiple entries for the same flower :)
Posted 06/19/16
When the event ends, would it be viable for us to sell flower designs we did as if they were mockups?
Posted 06/19/16