13:54 ST
[GAME] Potions Master is ready for playtesting!

Okay, okay, okay. Besides the fact that yes, the Snape song may or may not have been playing the entire time I played this. This game is super fantastic and I live it, and will probably become my max out game. I know for sure I’d max far before I get bored. I played for two hours last night alone after initial discovery of this new game. Its fantastic! Someone before me mentioned it’s like blendoku, which is so true. And its great.

A few points/ideas/improvements.

As a minor thing. Maybe make the preview bubble a little bigger? I don’t have any trouble seeing it on my computer screen or seeing the colors [ I have a high color acuity ] Maybe I instead of the bubble being a strip make it two halves?

Another idea that’s been mentioned is levels. What if you had three and you could choose which you play. And give them all different payouts. The basic would be how it is now. Limited supplies, endless fun The second and level could be endless supplies and be based on how quick you find the colour match. The third level could be timed for those who want a bit of extra challenge.

But yes. Ne w favorite game right here. It is super fantastic, super fun, and definitely adds some variety to the games already available to play. The art is fantastic and the concept in general is perfect. I love it.

[Maybe eventually we can even find new potion rooms and unlock a frozen/stone NPC who is the potion master these rooms belong to?]

Posted 07/30/15
Snape. Snape. Severus Snape. Snape. Snape. Severus Snape.Amaterasu

DUMBLEDORE!!!!Plasma

Ron… Ron… Ron WEASley! Ron… Ron… Ron WEASley!

Posted 07/30/15

Hermione.

Hermione.

Hermione, Hermione, Hermione.

:l

Posted 07/30/15

HARRY POTTER. HARRY POTTER. ARGH!

HARRY POTTER. HARRY POTTER. WHAT!

Posted 07/30/15, edited 07/30/15
Singing our song, all day long, at HOGWARTS.
Posted 07/30/15
HARRY POTTER RENFRENCES YAS But Yay new game!!!
Posted 07/30/15

I think we’re going to have to set up a Mycena Cave Sing Along thread…

*goes back to singing and clicking on all the pretty colors ever*

Posted 07/30/15

LET’S GET DOWN TO BUSINESS, TO MIX….THESE POTIONS

DID THEY SEND ME VIALS, WHEN I ASKED…FOR FLASKS

I really like looking at all the bottles, they’re so shiny and pretty and I want to take them all.

Posted 07/30/15

I’m not sure, but this looks like a glitch… Maybe I’m color blind.

*peeks in entirely too late*

voldy-mort, voldy-mort ooh voldy-voldy voldy voldy-mort!

Posted 07/30/15

-Sid: That’s exactly what happens. It selects three colors, and if any of them are less than a certain (fairly large) color-distance from each other, it throws it out and picks new colors — it was pretty clear this was a necessary feature when we would get like three subtly different shades of green ;)

Juney: Congratulations!! And good luck! :D

Neki: Those are some interesting ideas :) Games are actually already timed but we don’t do anything with the information… there would be some issues but a timed-mode would probably be feasible. I’ll have to look into it!

Arintol: Hm that is… not… supposed… to happen? :| I’ll see if I can’t track down the root cause, and please let me know if it happens to you again :)

Posted 07/30/15
This is so neat!!! Thank you to the coders and the artists!!
Posted 07/30/15

I was whipping through a few games pretty fast (not really bothering to win at this point) and ran across a connection error which resulted in the same blank box Arintol posted. I ran out of colors and nothing happened for a few seconds, then the blank box appeared. Also, I did have two games in particular where I swore the color was exact. Even tilting my laptop’s screen made no difference to me. Maybe I should have double checked with an eyedrop tool just to be sure. I’ll try that if it happens again.

It’s a fun game so far, though some of the shades are definitely harder than others for me. Which, coincidentally, is exactly like painting in real life for me sometimes! ^^; Has anyone else ever started with just a titch of this paint color and a tad of that and then you add more of this and that little by little and get frustrated and eventually have a massive puddle of WRONG overflowing into the rest of your palette? That’s what this game reminds me of ^^;

[edit] Also, full screen helps immensely so I agree with others that a larger sample “thought bubble” could make things easier.

glitch, it did it again! :c

edit: And again!!! It’s always the first 2 jars and the thought bubble. Refreshing/clicking a potion fixes it. Only happens the first time I start playing after awhile/break.

a titch of this paint color and a tad of that and then you add more of this and that little by little and get frustrated and eventually have a massive puddle of WRONG

My life.

Posted 07/30/15
Oh my god. I CAN PLAY THIS GAME. THIS IS THE FIRST TIME I HAVE HAD THIS EXPERIENCE.
Posted 07/30/15
I really want to like this game, the concept is fun and the art is cute. But after a couple of playthroughs I know I’m just never going to be able to play it with any kind of decent success rate due to my poor eyesight and colour acucity. That’s me not the game though, and I appreciate it being different to the other games.
Posted 07/30/15

When I play on my android phone’s Chrome ANY and ALL text shows up as absolute KEYSMASH. I have some screenshots I can add in a moment, just need to get them off my phone. Also, the bottle lables show up as “4” rather than “5”, but you can click again when they hit “0” and go down to “/” so theres no gameplay difference if you know that you CAN click 5 times. I didn’t, since I was out for most of today, and ended up very confused in the chatroom.

It works fine on my computer, tho I have to echo eveyone on the similar color problem.

Posted 07/30/15
myla: ah, okay, makes sense! so there probably won’t be a high scores board for this game? O:
Posted 07/30/15
I tried it and failed the first couple times and actually got it right on the third or fourth! I really like this game though. Going to keep fiddling with it and see if it can frustrate me some!

Golly I think I was awfully close haha.

Will we perhaps see a ‘new potion’ option to restart? Sometimes I find myself on the wrong track and know I can’t make it with the 3+ bottles I have left, but rapidly clicking through the few left is a very small inconvenience.
Well. I did not know until looking at this post that it’s supposed to list the color of the vials and how many uses were left. I don’t have the words or numbers for when I’m playing or when I win…
Posted 07/30/15

I love the new game, it has a great set up and really good art. Is this the place we found in the choose your own adventure event down one of the tunnels. It reminds me of one of a room we found during that event.
One note on the game is it would be nice if the end-of-game pop-up was moved slightly up or down so that you could see the final ingredients needed for the potion, I don’t really pay attention to the numbers during the gameplay but want to know how many it took in the end.

Posted 07/30/15
Why is this so much fun. It is too much fun, I’m going to be sitting here for five hours learning how to be a professional potion brew-master and attune my eyes to way too many shades of pink and ‘dull mustard?’ and try to memorize every single ingredient’s name because I like it. It is a little frustrating to get a color that *looks* so close to what you’re going for but is just a few hex values away, but that’s just how it is :) It wouldn’t be much fun for long if it was too easily predictable or overly simple to just eye it.
Posted 07/31/15

Sooo just played a game where I clicked on each ingredient just once and it looked like I got the color correct (or close to it) but then i got the message telling me Oh no you ran out of ingredients

8l

Posted 07/31/15, edited 07/31/15

Eviiana: Oh dear! The game is slightly more lenient than the verifier on the backend, which means that if you get really close your browser thinks you got it but the server says “nahhhh”. I’ll need to fix the backend verifier to be more lenient too!

PyroLuna: That’s a good idea. I originally placed it over the bottles so you wouldn’t see them swap out, but I play exactly the same way and am always disappointed that I have no idea what the recipe ended up being!

Arintol: What browser are you using?

Posted 07/31/15, edited 07/31/15
I’m using Safari
Posted 07/31/15
I have difficulties seeing the differences in shades on my Mac, but the game is fun ! Sometimes I think I get it and then I fail for three or five times in a row… It’s very pretty and a great game, thanks !
Posted 07/31/15

I made a gameplay video ouo

Posted 07/31/15
Hey this may be a silly question but just to make sure, the recipe always uses at least one thing from every ingredient right?  So there’s never a useless ingredient sitting there you shouldn’t use?
Posted 07/31/15
Correct! You must used at least one drop of each color in any potion. C:
Posted 07/31/15