18:14 ST
[GAME] Potions Master is ready for playtesting!

i’ve been experiencing a bit of lag today; i’ll get it to the right color and then it takes 3-5 seconds to register that it’s actually correct. this is only annoying in that i’ll sit there staring at it like “what THERE’S NO DIFFERENCE” and then the message pops up saying i won and i’m like “oh ok.”

but i thought i should mention :p i’m using chrome btw.

Posted 07/31/15

uhhh so I’m using chrome, and all the text just looks like random keysmashing

the bottle names are like that as well (I didn’t even realise they were meant to be readable until reading this thread)

Posted 08/01/15
I have the same problem with the letters being all scrambled… but only on my mobile. They look normal when I play the game on my laptop!
Posted 08/01/15
Yeah, same here, mobile only. The numbers also start at 4 but you have one more click when it hits zero and then it reads “/” instead
Posted 08/01/15
The only part that was somewhat confusing for me was the “bubble”. I thought I was supposed to look for, you know, a bubble. But the bubble was the weird cloudy thing? That threw me off a few minutes.
Posted 08/01/15

It did it again, where the color isn’t correct but it registers as right. Also, I have yet to see any letters/words appear. I’m on Safari as the browser.

Posted 08/01/15
Could it have meant that you were out of ingredients?
Posted 08/01/15, edited 08/01/15
Mine have never ended once I ran out of indigents… I’ve had to refresh it every time I run out.

See because I have the same issue on safari, and a notif pops up when you run out of every ingredient, not just one. for me on my ipad, if I click one too many times, it’ll run out and stop registering but I can still click the others if I wanted.

Im pretty certain in that case you used up every ingredient.

No, I’ve gone till I’ll run out of everything almost every time. I click on everything until anything I click no longer reacts. And then I have to refresh and start over. (I’m terrible with colors XD)
Posted 08/01/15
It’s been confirmed that you need a drop of each. As a harmless test try using one until it runs out and repeat until you’re done with all three. Most likely you’ll get the same result.
Posted 08/01/15
I know that it was already reported and not as bad as the issues a lot of other people are having, but I’ve also been getting that glitch where it tells me I’ve run out of ingredients because I got really close so my browser thought I made the recipe but then the server is like NOPE.  So the game ends, even though I didn’t run out of everything.
Posted 08/01/15
As of now:
  1. The game should no longer be telling you that you have run out of ingredients when you have not.
  2. The game will end as soon as you reach the correct color combination, showing you a “verifying…” sign until it gets a response from the server, making playing on slower connections less annoying.
  3. The sign has been moved up a bit so that you can still see the winning combination of ingredients after the game ends
Posted 08/05/15, edited 08/06/15
I really can’t wait for this to start offering payouts; I’ve had a really good record with it so far and it’s quite fun. :D As well as not taking forever to complete one game, which is very chill. I can see myself playing this for hours at a time.
Posted 08/09/15

:o reading this thread I’m only just now realizing that there’s supposed to be words! heehee ^.^ I’ve just assumed all the boxes were supposed to be blank for right now. I am on Safari.

As an artist, I really love this game. It’s way easier to keep my attention and grind with this than with cave in, so I hope the nuggets are worth it when we actually get prizes!

Posted 08/09/15

i see a lot of people mentioning that color strip in the middle, and i know im basically pointing out something that everyone else already did, but i agree- i have to squint and brighten my screen to tell, and even then it’s difficult. at my last eye appointment, i was told my eyes were fine, so i’m pretty sure it’s not me. (i mean, sometimes when im tired my eyes fog up and THEN it’s me but you know)

but besides that, it’s a very aesthetically pleasing game, and the colors aren’t too bright or vibrant

Posted 08/10/15
Potionsmaster now rewards 10 nuggets per win! This is subject to change as we get more reliable data, which we expect to get now that there is an incentive to play :) We’re also still playing with the interface, so don’t be toooo surprised if you see some changes in the near future
Posted 08/11/15, edited 08/11/15

I have a few questions regarding game mechanics and a small suggestion on payout :D

(Sorry if this is confusing, I don’t really know how to word it.) For each different recipe, is there only one possible chance to get the colors right? For example, combinations like 3/1/2 where if you mess up, there isn’t enough of the other potions to make up for the excess of mistake potion. Where on the other hand, the combinations like 2/1/2 can also be achieved at 4/2/4. ....did that make any sense?

So my other question is, does the game even work that way? To me, that’s the way it seems.

This brings me to my payout suggestion! If the game does work that way, maybe the payout for combinations that can’t be fixed if you mess up can be a little higher than those where you can fix the potion? (Maybe by 5-10 nuggets?) I also agree with Tarot’s on the suggestion that there could be little potion vial apparel items as rare drops from the game. ;w;

Posted 08/11/15
the combinations like 2/1/2 can also be achieved at 4/2/4 [...] does the game even work that way?Paladin

That is exactly correct :)

Posted 08/11/15

Definitely my favorite game. Colorssss *q*
although I def have some kind of yellow/green colorblindness haha because some of those are the colors I always miss because I’m like uhhhhh it looks the same to me but it’s not verifying so it must not be |D

Echolocation never clicked with me. orz
and Cave In just feels like I have less control. hah

It’s a lot more relaxing to play I suppose. And kind of a random suggestion, but I feel like sound effects/music would be nice. possibly. I know part of my enjoyment when playing TwoDots for example is the bg music heh
I do listen to my own music when I play because I don’t like sitting in silence? the distraction is nice when “grinding” anything

I didn’t play much when it didn’t reward nuggets. it just seemed like a waste of time >o>
so yeah
/shower with data

Posted 08/12/15

Decided I would post an example of the color being indistinguishable to me but not awarding nuggets. I know it’s a topic a lot of people have brought up (myself included) but I think it needs a visual example in case it is supposed to be registering but isn’t in some cases.

Posted 08/12/15
It’s SOO slight, but the colour in the middle looks a little greyer to me - I can sort of distinguish it but I have to concentrate. 8’D
Posted 08/12/15

the difference is hardly even there haha

I can’t see a difference at all between the two

Posted 08/12/15

Ahh I have a few other comments and one question because my other post was entirely about game mechanics :<

As for the (rather silly) question, is the ingredient named “Candied Cryst” supposed to be “Candied Crystal”?

As for the comments, I really like the game! It feels really natural for me and sometimes I get recipes in seconds :’) (Many people probably do that but it still feels good when you achieve a few really quickly) The art is incredible (props to Myly) and I love the lil’ wizard/witch bird in the background! The names for the ingredients are fantastic as well. -w-
I have a tip for players though! For the colors that are almost indistinguishable, tilt your computer screen a bit, it should help the colors contrast. If the colors are really close and you are almost certain it’s a match, try adding one of each color/ingredient if you can. This doesn’t work for all of them, but its worth a shot. It might be something weird with the coding? I’m not exactly sure why it does that, but it has worked for me before.

Now for suggestions to the game, maybe there could be a mode that allows a combination to have zero of an ingredient and just be comprised of 2 ingredients. I think there being one of each ingredient makes the game a bit easier, so for a more challenging mode, could that possibly be removed?

However the game ends up being finalized, I’m still very excited for it! It’s a game that I don’t get bored of easily because I absolutely love colors and color theory, so I can grind in it better than echolocation or cave in. Thankyou to the MC team for a wonderful game; I don’t think I’ve ever come across a game like it! ;_;

Posted 08/12/15

For those of you suggesting to make the potions as rare-drop equips. :)!  They aren’t dropping yet, but you can play with them in the magic puddle.

I’ve also made a different version of the background with a bigger bubble; that’ll be up as soon as glitch can find time to mess with it!

Paladin:  Oh my gosh, yes, when we were testing the game, one of the test rounds we did allowed for either 2/3 or 3/3 colors to be used and it did make it a lot harder, especially if you had two colors that we sort of close-ish to each other. XD

Posted 08/12/15

Aaaaaah. Finally bottles!

*wibbles*

Posted 08/12/15
Those bottle are so pretty! I can’t wait until they start dropping! Once they do I’ll have to start playing Potions Master all the time just so that I can try for the potions. I have a couple of characters who could use items like that. :D
Posted 08/12/15

How rare is a rare drop?
Is it possible to get percentages for perspective?
(If that’s available information or if it has been decided yet.)

Posted 08/12/15, edited 08/12/15
I love that there is a payout now! c;
Posted 08/13/15

Eyry: I know just the song for this :D In all seriousness though, that sounds like an interesting idea, I’ll need to look into it :)

Roan: In every game it’s possible to get the difference between the colors to zero but because of cases like this the game accepts anything with a Cartesian distance (sqrt((r1-r2)^2 + (g1-g2)^2 + (b1-b2)^2)) less than 2. In your screenshot there’s a distance of about 4.2, which indicates to me that maybe our “grace value” of 2 is a little too low.

Paladin: Heh, when removing the requirement that there be at least one drop of each ingredient, my success rate went from ~95% to ~40%. Basically my strategy is: put one drop of each ingredient in, and then just click whichever color seems like it’s “needed” the most. You’d think that the strategy would carry over but interestingly I found myself entirely unable ;)

Akira: Currently it’s zero ;) as for what it will be, it’s currently undecided, but when it rolls out it will be unannounced. As you play you may suddenly find yourself with a potion, or you may not.

Posted 08/13/15, edited 08/13/15