14:00 ST
Reworking Mycena Cave image generation
I love this!! I usually just ignored my drifty pets before, but now I can foresee myself actually using the feature. 8) Thank you for all your hard work, glitch!
Posted 01/22/20

glitch did u know…. that u r perfect?? im so glad the old n new color shifts can be toggled! when these changes first were announced last week (which i luv, the new drifts look sooo good) i was thinking of the whole unconverted fiasco on neopets and i was like “oh i hope that’s avoided here” and a toggle was the PERFECT option!

you guys are so good

Posted 01/22/20

GLITCH HAS BLESSED US!

And might I say, an extra big thanks for including the “use old color shift” button! The new magic does not work for one of my uniques who was specifically designed for that drifting mechanic. So nice to have more options without losing the drifts I liked before!

Posted 01/22/20

phew, this is a great solution for all involved. nobody who invested in drift/gloomshrooms to use on their pets feels left-out, the market doesn’t suddenly become saturated with a bunch of removed/reset driftshrooms (a suggestion i saw), and there’s no mad scramble to try to get ingredients for the magicshroom.

thank you for giving us such a fair and considerate update. :)

Posted 01/22/20
Yo I LOVE the ability to play with drifts without waiting a day. Only issue now is I can’t decide where to leave my drifty pets. xD I’m just taking down notes of different settings that I like. This is such a fun update!
Posted 01/22/20
I… I love Shatter’s new magic colors. Oh my god…
Posted 01/23/20

These changes are really fun oh my gosh! I also love that we can control both with the sliders now. Admittedly after I had gotten to a handful of drifty pets, I got really tired of drifting them daily.

For anyone curious: I found that I still felt the same handful of pets were most worth drifting/magicing/glooming. However, it was really interesting to see how much detail was lost in comparison.

Posted 01/23/20
This update is amahzing D: I need so many driftshrooms! ; A ;
Posted 01/23/20

FINALLY MEL IS THE BROWN SWAMP MONSTER HE WAS ALWAYS MEANT TO BE, THANK YOU GLITCH FOR MY LIFE

Posted 01/23/20, edited 01/23/20

Ahh man, really happy we can choose between old & new drifty mechanics now. Very very cool! Love the new version, but def wanted to keep the old school for some. Also SUPER excited about the “send to puddle” feature. Thank you! <3

also had the same issue as Oxton with bg ordering lol, so I’d be very interested to see proper bg layering one day. (eyes emoji here lol)

Posted 01/23/20

Oh!! This is so nice! I haven’t been drifting my drifty pets because I love their colors and didn’t want to lose them, but now I can explore all these colors and always come back to the faves.

I like the new drift on Crystal Catalyst, and might swap between that and the old one because they’re both gorgeous. The new drift doesn’t work quite so well for my yellow Winter Phoenix, so I’m really glad to see the old drift remains as an option.

I’m definitely more interested in driftshrooms now with the expanded color options and ability to drift at will! Thank you!

Posted 01/24/20
This may be a tad off-topic but - with the new placement of the drift button, might the grow button be put into the pet’s managing page as well? This way there is less likelihood for a growing “oops” to occur.
Posted 01/27/20

apologies if this has been brought up before, but some of the drify items break / change when applied to a drifted pit. My maybel is most obviously effected

Undrifted gummi, with “use old colour shifts” checked

Undrifted gummi, with “use old colour shifts” unchecked - note that Gummi’s the same but Maybel’s changed.

Just for comparison
Drifted gummi, with “use old colour shifts” checked

Drifted gummi (same number as above), with “use old colour shifts” checked

My ideal thing would be to be able to keep Maybel’s colours consistent (ie - not magic) while still being able to choose which style of colour shift I want the pet to undergo

Posted 01/28/20, edited 01/28/20
I believe that’s intentional. Mabel herself is drifted, and as such checking and unchecking the old drifts box would affect how she drifts. When I asked glitch about the drifty items, he said this:

The image generation code currently treats each Mycenian as its own colorspace entity — currently any drifty items equipped to a Mycenian will drift in the same manner.glitch

Link for reference
Whether that’ll change or not is not something I’m privy to, obviously, but it seems as though Mabel, and all other drifty items, are behaving as they should.

Posted 01/28/20
I guess it makes sense, especially from the perspective of being allowed/encouraged that people can switch between two colour forms for the “pre-drifted” pets (EOLs/Catalysts). It’s just a little annoying/unexpected.
Posted 01/28/20
glitch Hey, so I was playing in the puddle, and I realized that when I selected a drift value past 100, the slider bar bounced back to 100, even if it was giving me a correct drift value for what value I was selecting. So it’s just the slider bar that bounces back and it’s honestly more obnoxious than anything else, but heads up.
Posted 01/28/20
Lala thanks for the heads up - puddle has been fixed
Posted 01/28/20

glitch Just as a heads up (not sure if I should ping Myla about this) but Moonlight Sclera doesn’t show up unless it is over the crystals head section (even though there is no obvious overlap of the items.) At present I have gotten it to work but if you put it under the ‘Crystals of Unity - crystals 1’ it doesn’t show up.

Posted 01/31/20

Malis I don’t think I’m able to reproduce what you’re describing if I’m understanding correctly:

You’re putting the sclera item there but still getting the dark sclera of White Wind? Can you show me a screenshot of what you mean?

Posted 01/31/20
Was it perhaps underneath the shivering gaze? That item has dark sclera!
Posted 01/31/20
Oooh yeah.. the moonlit sclera would need to be over the shivering gaze’s sclera (or toggle off that sclera) and also the ineki head for it to show up!
Posted 01/31/20
Here you go Myla

Edit: I just realized the Drifty Shivering Gaze isn’t showing up in my list of items (though it is in the dropdown) I’m not going to remove it / replace it yet just in case it needs to be investigated first.

Posted 01/31/20, edited 01/31/20
Malis Yeah, I’m not sure why that item isn’t showing up in your menu—that has to be what is causing the issue. 8| Could you try unequiping and reequiping the Drifty Shivering Gaze item to see if it’ll pop up in the reorder menu?
Posted 01/31/20

hey glitch i think we’ve spotted a lil weirdness! u can seen from my avatar but i’ve seen a few other examples, that white stripe across the top where the bg doesn’t reach. Chimerical pointed out it’s happening w any pet that has a layer behind the body!

edit to clarify: i removed my avatar bg so it would be easier to see, but it happens with customs that have their custom bgs set as a layer behind the pet (so as a yellow layer at the bottom but still in front of any site bg equipped which are always grey layers at the very bottom) as well as any pet that has an item/edit that is layered behind the body!

Posted 01/31/20, edited 01/31/20
Yah I’m pretty sure that layers behind the body (including custom backgrounds and glows, as well as the small site bgs like the Corona Borealis) are getting cut off on top when the avatar is generated, leaving just the avatar bg (or plain white, if none is equipped), to show thru
Posted 01/31/20

Miranda Chimerical Hah! Well spotted! Thanks for the heads up, the issue has been fixed :)

On a few poses (Upright Ineki, Baby Ineki, and Active Kelph), the avatar frame doesn’t actually fit onto the image. That is, if you were to take the image of one of those Mycenians and then drop the avatar frame on top of it in the correct position, the avatar frame would extend past the end of the Mycenian’s image.  To handle this, we define a special “pushdown” parameter for those poses where we essentially push the Mycenian’s pixels down by that amount when writing them into the frame.

In the old image generation code we did what most sane humans do: start with the background, then layer things on top of it until you’re done. The new image generation system actually does this in reverse (starts with the front-most layer and then works backwards). However, I didn’t take that into account when re-implementing the pushdown functionality, and so avatars could not actually draw any coat or item layers within a few pixels of the top of where they were supposed to be able to draw to (i.e. the top of the frame for things behind the frame, the top of the image for things in front of it). Modifying this pushdown functionality to deal with painting the image in reverse — that is, instead of moving the foreground down, we move the background up — resolves the issue.

Wrong:

Correct:

In retrospect, that it was doing something wrong was pretty clearly hinted at by the fact that it was subtracting the pushdown from the height which it could draw. Oh well… these things are always a lot easier to see in hindsight.

Posted 01/31/20, edited 02/01/20
Myla The gaze is back on my list after unequipping and equipping. The scleara must have been jumping over both.
Posted 02/01/20
hi glitch, i managed to break my icon completely! after some testing, it appears to be a problem with the upright ineki. i got the same break with upright cats, dogs, and foxes. also, kelphi? hm. the dras seem to work fine.
Posted 02/01/20

Interesting, I shall see what’s going on post haste.

Edit: and you’re back, doragon :)

Posted 02/01/20, edited 02/01/20

glitch Don’t know if intentional or an issue?
When adding items into the magic puddle, the drop down menu doesn’t automatically disappear after selecting an item. The pet menu does, and I know the item menu used to as I never had the issue before. I have to click outside of the selection box for it to disappear, otherwise I can’t see the Look Again/Start Over buttons since the menu blocks them.

Posted 02/01/20