17:26 ST
[SURVEY] Shimmers in the Water event feedback! Results posted

Hi everyone!

If you participated in the Shimmers in the Water event, we’d love to hear your opinions on it. You can find the feedback form here:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1kDfijv5hBaWGSxO9-ed6a-jVe23YzzZjHhkRM3XTIy0/viewform

The first three questions compare it to last year’s investigation/puzzle-solving event, so if you didn’t participate in that one then please mark the “did not participate” option for those. The last question is optional and is your username: you can submit your form anonymously, or you can enter your username to be entered into a raffle to win some more Shimmers in the Water event items! For every 5 entrants into the raffle we’ll add another item, which means that your probability of winning an additional Shimmers in the Water item will be about 1/5.

The form will close on October 30th, and the raffle will be drawn on October 31!

Posted 10/24/15, edited 11/04/15

I’M DONE.

Only took me 15 minutes. >:l

Posted 10/24/15
Done and done! Thank you for both events. I always look forward to events here as they are different and fun.
Posted 10/24/15
gosh, i wish i was here for Halloween ‘14. thank you, staff, for everything! this was really fun!
Posted 10/24/15

/writes 45-page editorial with extensive bibliography in the textbox.

B)

Posted 10/24/15, edited 10/24/15
Can’t answer the Halloween ones, but I enjoyed this event very much
Posted 10/24/15

I keep accidentally putting my digis id into these surveys. I always catch myself but one day I might not. >.<

glitch So I was curious and looked up my digis ID (1503) and noticed it said that the user didn’t exist. It should though.. so why not? What makes users disappear? D:

Oh I’m so excited for this.  The raffle mainly but I am also happy I am able to give a little I’m put regarding the event.  It was truly a lot of fun but since I was so new to the game when it started.  I felt like I had a different perspective on it compared to everyone else.  A big thanks to the team for putting on such an enjoyable event.
Posted 10/24/15
Done! Thanks for the fun events!
Posted 10/24/15

completed the survey~
the event was super fun, and i’m glad we were able to give feedback as well! ^-^
also i’m excited for the raffle haha

Posted 10/24/15
I….can’t remember what the puzzles were like last year but I know I participated at least a little bit 8| is there a thread I can look at to refresh my memory? for some reason i am only remembering something about water droplets on a ceiling but not what that puzzle actually entailed lol
Posted 10/24/15

edit: oops….double post…*changes this one to something funny*

Shima: when you fill out the registration form we create the account, but if you don’t complete the registration by clicking the confirmation link in your email within 48 hours then the account is removed again.

Phage
Here is the event thread from last Halloween.

Posted 10/24/15
ah, thank you. I think judging from my own posts I probably enjoyed last year’s event a lot.
Posted 10/24/15
Can I just pop in and say thank you for those questions about whether or not the items and colors were easily applicable?  That just kinda blindsided me with like ‘oh my god??? what a good???? thing???????’ feelings because that is an issue I run into sometimes, but it’s not really something most people would ask about.  So yeah that was super cool A+ survey-ing <3
Posted 10/25/15

I have to agree with Riley whole-heartedly.
I REALLY thought that question was especially thoughtful.
I’m usually able to find a use for every coat since I have so many characters, but sometimes I have to be even more creative for item use.
Either way, it shows you guys are really thinking about the core of how the pets and items are used, and that’s fantastic :)

Posted 10/25/15
Survey Results & Event Prize Raffle!

161 players submitted their user name, so we have drawn 33 names to receive a box containing a random Shimmers in the Water event item!  The present box will open automatically within a week if you don’t open it before then.  :)

Survey Results

Comparison to Halloween ‘14 (which was a similarly formatted event):
It’s interesting to note that the majority of the players who responded to the survey were not around for Halloween last year - a really neat indication of how much the site has grown since then! For ease of comparison, I’ve left out the ‘did not participate’ (57%) and ‘no preference’ percentages on the questions below.

• Overall enjoyment:
    • Enjoyed Shimmers more: 35%
    • Enjoyed Halloween ‘14 more: 33%
  • Pacing:
    • Preferred Shimmers: 47%
    • Preferred Halloween: 25%
  • Puzzle directedness:
    • Preferred Shimmers: 51%
    • Preferred Halloween: 15%

Event mechanics:
All in all, we seem to have hit a pretty solid middle ground so far as the event mechanics themselves go, though there was also a strong indication that players found the event to be a bit heavy on the activity days overall.

• Duration:
    • Just right: 72%
    • Too long: 16%
    • Too short: 12%
  • Effort required:
    • Just right: 74%
    • Too much: 22%
    • Too little: 4%
  • Overall difficulty:
    • Just right: 67%
    • Too hard: 35%
    • Too easy: 8%
  • Activity/Investigation day distribution:
    • Just right: 54%
    • Too many activity days: 44%
    • Too many investigation days: 2%
  • Clarity of instructions:
    • Instructions were clear: 72%
    • Instructions were unclear: 16%
    • Middle: 12%

Prizes:
Overall, it appears that the prizes were well received, and most players were able to obtain everything they wanted. A majority of our players found both the coats and the items to be useful for their characters, which is great to hear. :)

• Did you get everything you wanted?
    • Yes: 69%
    • Only the most important items: 17%
    • No: 14%
  • Were the items useful to your characters?
    • Useful: 50%
    • Middle: 32%
    • Not useful: 18%
  • Were the coats suitable/inspiring for your characters?
    • Suitable/inspiring: 48%
    • Middle: 27%
    • Not suitable/inspiring: 25%
Common Survey Feedback
  • Kelph:
    Our new species generated a lot of comments.  For the most part, people were pleased and excited about our swimmers!  In particular, players liked how there were two different types, the flowing fins of the river type, the stunning two coat colors, and the watery nature of the new species.

We also received some comments from people who were not as excited about the kelph, particularly because of the baby lines that were shown during the AMA with glitch and Myla and the physical differences between the kelphi and the ineki. We understand that some players felt as though they were misled by the baby preview that we released several months ago because its appearance was very different from what the kelphi appearance ended up being! This is something that we will try to be more careful about in the future.

The original bases were reworked for several reasons, and we are proud of the final species as it is the product of months of hard work, critiques, and tweaks!  There were a couple of comments that you would love to be more involved in the planning process — we think that’s a great idea and could probably be done through polls in regard to the general direction of the next species. :)

There were also a few comments regarding the singular pose, as well as the lack of item compatibility with the kelphi. The two poses of the ineki and drasillis were originally to differentiate between gender. When we decoupled gender from lineart, that trait became, in a sense, vestigial. It is not something we plan on carrying forward with future species since it adds a lot of work for template, coat, and item artists without necessarily adding the variety that another new species could bring. Regarding item compatibility, this is something that we will be working on shortly once we’re out of the back-to-back events (huffhuff). It’s been stated before, but I’d like to state it again so that hopefully more people see it - all OotS and event items will eventually be compatible with the kelphi, as well as all of the OotS and event items going forward. Many of the items that were in the shops prior to kelphi release will not be made compatible, since mixed compatibility is a characteristic of shop items.

• Option of mushroom vs. pet:
    This is something that we thought would be really helpful to people who couldn’t necessarily afford fodder, but wanted to enjoy their event pets right away. It was pretty well received, and is something that we will be implementing in at least some of our future events. :)

• Activity days:
    There were several comments in regards to the activity days - from people who loved them, people who thought there were too many or required too much effort, as well as people who thought they were uninteresting! This is something that can be hard to keep balanced with such a diverse playerbase - we had to make sure we had types of activities that could be interpreted in various ways so as not to box people into one singular style of responding, as well as those that appealed to the less creatively inclined. Likewise, we had to make sure that the activities required effort, but not set the bar too high for players who are not creatively inclined but wanted to participate anyway. This is something we’ll definitely continue to play with balancing out for any future events that involve an ‘activity’ aspect!

• Event style:
    A lot of folks commented that they really enjoyed the style of this event, which is exciting to hear! :) It was certainly fun to put together! Similarly, we had a lot of positive comments about being able to earn everything without exerting a ridiculous amount of effort in order to do so. We tried to design the participation requirements to be loose enough that most people should be able to one of every prize with a reasonable, but not overly huge amount of effort.

All in all, we think this event was a success, but, as usual, the community has given us some great feedback (167 responses!!)  and ways to improve future events!  Thank you all! <3

Posted 11/04/15, edited 11/04/15

Oh awesome xD! Thank you Bone Monster for the present!

I was like, ‘Who sent me a package? And how xD?’

Posted 11/04/15
OH MY. I WON SOMETHING?? QWQ -hugs the cute box- Thank youuuu
Posted 11/04/15

i…. i won something?? omg yay ; w ;

thank you for the event and for asking for feedback on it, it’s so cool to know that our opinions matter~ <3

Posted 11/04/15

i won a blue n silver box!! :OO it was so pretty, i almost didn’t want to open it.

thank you so much for the event!

Posted 11/05/15

Ooo thanks for posting the survey results, always interesting to read :)

and congrats to the winners

Posted 11/05/15, edited 11/05/15