04:11 ST
The Cave Files: The Case of the Lost Necklace

Hello and welcome!

This event consists of two parts; The main part lets you take a peek in the life of detective Aliza Montaigne, who gets called up on the evening of Halloween to help with the retrieval of a lost necklace. This involves following her around and helping her solve puzzles and find clues to solve the mystery. This event was designed to be suitable for all audiences, which means the puzzles and clues should be solvable by anyone willing to invest a little effort.

Clues for the event are found in the Cave Files.  There will be at least one clue per day. We are still working out how we will make clear when you have found all clues for the day. For now, we are happy to let you know that day one has one clue to find.

Items/clues will be available to collect until November 7th 23:59:59 (the end of the event). Collecting an item/clue on the day of release, however, nets you an additional Mystery point for the raffle.  The items will not be made known in advance, as some of the items are a big giveaway/clue on how to obtain them.

The puzzles and clues may involve looking at html, opening an image, trying to find a hidden link or page, or things of similar difficulty, but do not involve complicated ciphers, algorithms or anything like that.  Should a puzzle turn out to be too hard to complete (we keep track of how many people have solved a puzzle per day), rest assured, we’ll jump in.

The second part involves a series of yearly festivities taking place in the Town Square, where various members of the community are hosting creative contests and games. These contests and games are intended to give you the chance to be creative and possibly earn you a few extra prizes in addition to the rewards from the main event.

As a note, the event was designed with collectors in mind. We are aware a lot of users like collecting one of everything, and the event was designed for that. The town square festivities are in addition to the main event, to offer a variety.

All events run from October 18th, 00:00:00 Server Time until October 31st, 23:59:59 Server Time. The week from November 1st 00:00:00 Server Time to November 7th 23:59:59 Server Time may be used to finish puzzles/find clues you had not yet completed, and will be used to judge and distribute prizes for the Town Square Festivities and hold our special Halloween Raffle.

As soon as all prizes have been distributed and the event fully closes at November 7th 23:59:59 Server Time, a Survey will be held to gather feedback. If you have urgent during-event-feedback (e.g. errors, glitches, etc.), please contact Juney; If not urgent, please note down your feedback and submit it via the survey!

Event Rules

- You are allowed to make a user organised hints topic and chat room for this event.
- You are allowed to privately share complete solutions to puzzles and clues with those that ask for it and you are willing to share with.
- HOWEVER! Please keep all (in-)direct hints out of Recent Posts and public Chat channels.
- ...Also please have fun yes?

Town Square Festivities

- Dress-Up Contest
- Creativity Contest
- Bobbing for Apples
- Sorceress’ Stew

Posted 10/18/14, edited 10/18/14
:D can’t wait to start! look at that lovely spoopy header. so exciting~
Posted 10/18/14
Eee~ so excited to hear what you all think :D I hope everything works out >> -mommaclucks all over-
I love this already. (8
Posted 10/18/14
this looks like it’s going to be fun! I’ll have to check back in when I’ve got time :D
Posted 10/18/14
Yay! It’s starting. :D Love the banner, by the way.
Posted 10/18/14
I’m bummed the main event of my favorite holiday turned out to be my least favorite thing ever (puzzles and “clues”) but I’m willing to give it the benefit of the doubt and try my best. Good luck everyone.
Posted 10/18/14

-paces around-
I just wanna see the new stuff we can get :<
The banner is neat though c:

-throws flowers at Cyber for the answer thread-

Posted 10/18/14

The puzzles are not impossible to complete, and there will be the town square festivities to partake in as well, so I hope we’ve got a widely enough varying selection of content to please everyone :)

Just to clarify, with the no spoilers in public places rules, we don’t intend to be mean; we just don’t want users that do not want to be spoiled to accidentally get spoiled. Therefore, you are welcomed to make a hint and discussion topic, discuss amongst yourselves and after the first post has gone off recent posts (e.g., the topic accumulated a couple of posts), edit in the hints as we go :) you’re also allowed to share complete solutions via echo or private chats, so please help keep it fun for everyone :D

Ah that’s right! I’m so thankful for the wide variety offered to us so there’s at least one activity everyone can confidently partake in. ’ o’
Posted 10/18/14
I’m so pumped for this - first ever halloween event I’ll be a part of, YES~
Posted 10/18/14
I would like to know (yes or no), will the popularity contests and raffle be the only way to get Halloween 2014 coats? The main clue hunting event sounds fun (and is fun so far), but I’m losing confidence in whether or not I want to participate in the mini-“games” because of how it sounds like the only way to get coat colors is through being voted the winner in the “creativity contests” (which sucks because I’ve wanted an RP event option for the past year, and now it’s sounding like that’s not happening if I wanted a shot at getting upvoted).
Posted 10/18/14

A few concerns were raised with respect to various elements of the event that are unclear. In summary, these are our statements so far :)

- There will be at least one clue per day. We are still working out how we will make clear when you have found all clues for the day. Until then; For day 1, there is only one item to find.
- Clues will be found in the case file. What the clue leads to may be found outside of the case file (main site pages, not user/pet profiles).
- The puzzles and clues may involve looking at html, opening an image, trying to find a hidden link or page, or things of similar difficulty, but do not involve complicated ciphers, algorithms or anything like that. Additionally, you are allowed to create a hint topic and share hints publicly; You’re also allowed to privately share the full solution with people that ask you for it :) Should a puzzle turn out to be too hard to complete (we keep track of how many people have solved a puzzle per day), rest assured, we’ll jump in.
- The items will not be made known in advance, as some of the items are a big giveaway/clue on how to obtain them.

- The event was designed with collectors in mind. We are aware a lot of users like collecting one of everything, and the event was designed for that. The town square festivities are in addition to the main event, to offer a variety of ways to get things.
- Items/clues will be available to collect until November 7th 23:59:59. Collecting an item/clue on the day of release, however, nets you an additional Mystery point for the raffle.

This seems interesting, but I admit I’m slightly sad that it’s puzzle-based, as I’m pretty terrible at riddles and whatnot.  I feel bad having to probably ask for the answer for most of these just to get points from users who have more time to figure them out. :x It’s a different take on the event, but I have a feeling it’ll be more of a struggle to keep up daily.
I wasn’t sure if I like the idea of puzzles and fining things (I tend to suck at these), but finding the today’s clue made me really happy. ^^
Posted 10/18/14
OHMYGODOHMYGOD EEEEEEEEE! *Squeels* This is great! I’m starting right now! *runs to start with the fun times*
Posted 10/18/14
This is so cool! I’m on vacation right now but I still managed to find one hint/clue thing so far and I think I may try the other games when I get back to campus Monday… Well,  after class.  XD
Posted 10/18/14
I have no idea what I am even supposed to be looking for for the first clue. How do I know when I find it or where to look?
Posted 10/18/14

DarkHorse; All clues can be found in the case files, although what the clues lead to may be found anywhere on the regular site pages (excluding user and pet profiles) :) Take a closer look at the introduction, maybe?

“Finding” the clue involves being led to another page on the site, and you’ll know you’ve found it, then :)

Posted 10/18/14

Read it and yeah…I am still lost.
ah! I got it! Playing from my tablet is just not good.

I’m pretty lost, too. I feel like it’s probably super obvious and I can’t understand it. e_e;
Posted 10/18/14

Aaaah~
Good to be home and on my computer! Mobile devices don’t work so well. xP

Posted 10/18/14
It is but at the same time its not Frey. Like Juney said, Take a closer look at the intro, you should find it after a while.
Posted 10/18/14
I got the thing at my third reread of the intro. I remember being so confused because I overthought it completely! I hope I’ll be a little faster tomorrow, lol.
Posted 10/18/14
The little hint that Cyber gave helped, and remembering other tricks that the team has played on us in previous challenges… >_> FINALLY.
wait so are we supposed to click on something in the intro? that’s my big question
Posted 10/18/14
so I’ve come back to check on the event and it looks like there’s a bunch of different things to do :o I’m excited about the puzzle bit, especially.
Posted 10/18/14

I’m stuck with using either my phone or tablet. I get to play tomorrow and hopefully I will on Wednesday after I check in for my surgery. Thursday will be weird as I have surgery that day and have no idea if I will even be able to get a connection.  After that is a complete unknown.
we don’t have to find the clues the same day do we?

DarkHorse; You have up to november 7th to find the clues/items, including those from all the way on day 1. However, if you find a clue on the day it was released, you also get a ‘mystery point’, which is used as a raffle ticket at the end of the event :) If you find the clue on any other day, you won’t get the mystery point.
Posted 10/18/14
Will playing on mobile devices be viable at all?
Posted 10/18/14