06:38 ST
[FORUM ACTIVITY] Meowcena Cafe - Food Photography - Ended!
Salted Lassi

Salted lassi is a nice and refreshing beverage for a warm day! It’s tart and savory and very satisfying. It’s traditionally made with plain yogurt, but I am lacking in ingredients so we are going to use plain kefir instead >>;;

Ingredients
  • Plain, unsweetened yogurt (or plain unsweetened kefir, if you prefer a more tart taste!). Chilled.
  • Ground cumin
  • Salt (or seasoned salt)
  • Chilled water (if using yogurt)
  • Minced raw garlic (optional)
  • Minced cucumber (optional)
  • Minced fresh mint leaves (optional)
  • Ice cubes (optional)
Instructions

Step 1:

Gather all your ingredients, as well as a cup and a spoon for stirring. Consult your local purrista for assistance if necessary! They are always happy to lend a paw.

Okay that is too much helping! Desist!!

Step 2:

Under your purrista’s watchful gaze, measure out an acceptable amount of yogurt! I’m using drinking kefir, so all that’s really involved is pouring yourself as much as you want to drink.

If you’re using plain yogurt, you’re going to want about a 1:1 yogurt to water ratio. More yogurt results in a thicker beverage, and more water results in a thinner one! It’s not really an exact science. Just do what you think looks good! Once you combine the yogurt and the water, you’re going to want to stir until the water and yogurt are smooth, with no lumpy bits.

Step 3:

Due to a lack of ingredients, I’m only using ground cumin and seasoned salt here. I just kind of eyeballed it. Be brave and go for it! It’s ok if it ends up a bit bland, you can always add more stuff later! And if it ends up a bit salty, well, you could add a bit more yogurt. It’s not really a difficult thing to make LOL.

This is the stage where you could use just about anything. Traditionally, salted lassi uses ground cumin, fresh mint, and salt. If you’re a fan of garlic, mincing some fresh garlic in is really tasty. Adding some finely minced cucumber in is also really good. Ground cayenne or paprika is also good if you want to add a bit of spice!

Remember to be careful when handling sharp implements!

Step 4:

Stir everything in! Make sure it’s nicely mixed, and give it a taste. If you think it needs more seasoning, go ahead and add it until it tastes good to you.

Optionally, you can add a couple ice cubes, and serve!

And maybe fight your purrista in an attempt to reclaim your hard-earned drink.

Posted 04/11/19
Fish and Chips (Not really, and in a sandwich form)

Ingredients

• Tuna salad (enough to cover a piece of toast, or 2 tablespoons)
  • Romaine Lettuce (4 leaves)
  • Sliced Black Olives (1 tablespoon, I took them from my dining hall’s salad bar but you can slice your own i guess)
  • Pickle (1)
  • Vinegar (1 teaspoon)
  • Whole Wheat bread (2, sliced)
  • Fritos (1 packet)

Instructions

1. Place the two slices of bread into the toaster and wait for them to turn golden brown.
  2. Remove the slices (without burning yourself preferably), and spread tuna salad on on them.
  3. Layer the lettuce on it.
  4. Cut up the pickle and place slices evenly on the sandwich (hopefully so that each bite has some amount of pickle).
  5. Take the olives and sprinkle them on your sandwich, trying not to make a mess and failing.
  6. Eat olives that fell off.
  7. Pour a little bit of vinegar on your sandwich to finish the flavor profile.
  8. Realize your meal clearly doesn’t have enough salt and pour a bag of Fritos onto the plate.
  9. Enjoy.
  10. Maybe (definitely) make another one.
  11. Remember to actually take a picture this time.
  12. Enjoy again.
Posted 04/12/19, edited 04/12/19
Lukewarm Depression Cocoa

For when you’re feeling a little depressed, or you just have depression.
aka Cosmo doesn’t have a stove or an oven or a Keurig or a pantry so they’re taking the scavenger approach

Ingredients:
+ 2 cups of hot water
+ 2 packets of hot cocoa mix, stolen from the dining hall
+ 3 packets of sugar, also stolen from the dining hall

Instructions:

1) Fill a large plastic cup with 2 cups of hot water. The water shouldn’t be scalding, just a bit hot to the touch. You can probably get it out of your home faucet.

2) Dump in both packets of cocoa. Ideally, you should stir it just a little bit, so you end up with weird clumps of cocoa mix floating around in your drink. It might look gross, but that just adds to the depressing atmosphere.

3) Dump in all three packets of sugar. If it’s oddly granular and has a creepy yellow hue, that’s for the best, but take whatever sugar you can get. Stir again.

4) Sit and watch as the hot water becomes lukewarm. Ruminate about how depressed you are.

5) Enjoy.

Posted 04/12/19
Crow’s Maybe Maple(?) Coffee

Ingredients

• Coffee
  • Maple syrup
  • Your favorite coffee fixin’s

Instructions

• Brew up some of your favorite coffee! Today I chose a 50/50 mixture of Tim Horton’s (my fave) and Bones Coffee’s French Toast.
  • Add a lil bit of maple syrup to your mug of choice.
  • Pour the coffee into the mug.
  • Add additional sweetener/milk to taste.

Let’s see how this tastes!
Edit: It’s actually pretty good, great job, me! :D

Posted 04/13/19, edited 04/13/19
-
Posted 04/13/19, edited 11/11/19
Beetroot and Tuna Open Sandwich

And because I’m a dumbass I didn’t put my username in the photos -
I hope you can accept this photo taken the next day, sans the eaten food!

Ingredients

• 1 white bread roll
  • 2 slices of cheese
  • 1/2 90g tin of flavoured tuna (in this instance, onion and tomato)
  • Some amount of sliced iceberg lettuce (brought pre-sliced in this case because I did not want to buy a whole lettuce)
  • 1 grape tomato (because I didn’t realise there was only one left)
  • 2 slices of tinned beetroot (because it was in the fridge already so what the hell)
  • Two dollops of mayonaise

Instructions

1. Slice your bread roll horizontally in half, trying to make the two halves as even as you can.
  2. Layer the tuna across the flat surface of both halves.
  3. Dollop mayo into the center of both.
  4. Slice the tomato, and if using a regular iceberg lettuce then slice some of that too.
  5. Add a layer of lettuce, then the tomato, then the beetroot, and then lay the cheese across the top.
  6. You’re done, attempt to eat without having the beetroot slide out and stain your clothes!
Posted 04/14/19
Mini Honey Apple Tarts

Ingredients

• 1 sheet of frozen puff pastry, defrosted and ready to use
  • 1-2 apples, cored and sliced thin
  • 1/4 cup white sugar
  • 2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • Honey

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 400 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil (if doing the latter, lightly coat with some baking oil)
  2. Cut puff pastry sheet into 3 inch squares and place onto baking sheet
  3. Place 2-3 slices of apple per puff pastry square
  4. Combine sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl and evenly spread mixture over tarts
  5. Bake tarts until tarts are golden brown and apples are tender (may take 12-20 min depending on the puff pastry being used)
  6. Let cool and drizzle honey on tart as needed
Posted 04/14/19
Chocolate Hazelnut Oatmeal

I forgot to add in my name because we had a friend over and they helped me make it!

Ingredients:
Both instant and raw oatmeal
Milk
Hazelnut chocolate
Vanilla (optional)

Directions:
Toss the packet of instant oatmeal into the bowl and add 1/3 cup of raw oats. Add in the milk, more milk makes a liquid oatmeal while less makes for a more dense oatmeal. Put into microwave for 2.5 mins until piping hot. It is advisable to use a container with high sides as the milk will froth up. While still hot, add in a tablespoon or hazelnut chocolate and stir completely. Add in a drop or two of vanilla extract to taste. Let it sit for about 5 minutes for the raw oats to soak up the milk and then enjoy!

Posted 04/15/19, edited 04/15/19
Runny Egg Sandwich
This is a delicious take on an egg sandwich. The runny yolk may require some napkins for the customer, but it offers a delicious extra bit of flavor to sop up with the last few bites of the toasted sandwich crust, making the sandwich eating experience a messy but delightful experience!

Ingredients

• 2 slices of bread (sourdough recommended)
  • 2 slices of cheese (gouda recommended)
  • 2 slices of bacon
  • 2 eggs
  • Mayonnaise
  • Black pepper

Instructions

1. Toast your slices of bread! A toaster is fine, but pan-toasting with mayonnaise or butter makes for very rich bread.
  2. Cook two slices of bacon to desired doneness. Rich meaty slices will offer better flavor.
  3. Spread mayonnaise on the toasted bread, and sprinkle a light coat of black pepper.
  4. Apply slices of gouda as you see fit.
  5. Place the cooked bacon on top of the gouda, softening it. Do not drain the pan of bacon fat!
  6. Crack 2 eggs into the pan full of bacon fat. Add oil only if necessary or if turkey bacon has substituted pork bacon. Cook eggs sunny-side up, leaving the yolks runny and just setting the whites.
  7. Place cooked eggs on top of the bacon, put the remaining slice of toast over top, and cut diagonally through the sandwich.
  8. Grab a few napkins, and enjoy!
Posted 04/15/19
Busy-morning Tea Lattes

Ingredients

• 8 bags of your favourite tea (black recommended)
  • 1 cup of boiling water
  • 3 cups of milk
  • Honey

Instructions

1. Steep all 8 tea bags in 1 cup of boiling hot water for 5 minutes
  2. Heat milk in the microwave for 3-4 minutes (should be near boiling)
  3. In 4 large mugs, add ¼ cup of the concentrated tea mix and ¾ cups of milk
  4. Add honey to taste and mix well
Posted 04/15/19, edited 04/15/19
Roasted Bird’s Delight

Ingredients

• 1 lb Deli Roasted Turkey Breast
  • 3/4 lb Deli Roasted Chicken Breast
  • Prepackaged White American Cheese
  • One bag of Deli Baked Wheat Rolls

Instructions

1. Get the nicely packaged goods out of the refrigerator.
  2. Get that bread out of the basket, because it is about to look pretty.
  3. Grab your favorite bread cutting knife and cut that roll in half!
  4. Start by opening the White American cheese and fold one slice of the cheese from one corner to the other. This should give it a triangle shape.
  5. Put both slices of cheese at the bottom and get fancy with the placement.
  6. Get two slices of roasted turkey breast and put it over the slices of cheese.
  7. Do the same for the roasted chicken breast, and place it over the turkey.
  8. Grab another slice of cheese and fold it in a triangle shape and place it on top of the roasted chicken.
  9. Now try to close that sucker up and you’re ready to eat!
Posted 04/15/19

Cocoa and Toast

Ingredients

1. 2 Tablespoons Cocoa Powder
2. 1/4 Tablespoons Vanilla Extract
3. 2 Tablespoons Sugar
4. 1 Cup Milk

1. Butter
2. Bread

Instructions

1. Pour the milk into a mug.
2. Slowly mix in cocoa powder and sugar.
3. Add 1/4th tablespoons vanilla extract.
4. Stir until well blended.
5. Warm the cocoa in the microwave for one minute (or longer, depending on preferred temperature).

1. Put bread into toaster.
2. Put butter on bread once it is toasted.

The most important part of this recipe is to dip the toast in the cocoa while eating it. Otherwise, you aren’t really having cocoa and toast! That is required.

Posted 04/15/19
Meow-vocado Breakfast Toast

Ingredients

• 2 eggs
  • 2 slices of bread (I used multigrain!)
  • 1 avocado
  • 1 tbsp. butter
  • Salt and pepper, to taste
  • Optional: paprika and chili flakes if you want your eggs to have a little pep. :)

Instructions

1. Toast the bread until golden brown in a toaster/toaster oven.
  2. While bread is toasting, heat a pan over medium heat and add the tablespoon of butter.  Heat until butter is melted.
  3. Beat eggs in a separate bowl and add salt, pepper, and any additional spices. 
  4. Add to pan and cook until eggs are fluffy and no longer gooey.  You can also do fried, sunny-side-up, over-easy, or however else you might like your eggs.*
  5. Once eggs are cooked, set aside.  Cut open avocado lengthwise and remove pit.
  6. Scoop half of the avocado onto each piece of toast and spread with a knife.  Season with salt and pepper.
  7. Divide eggs into two portions and add on top of the avocado.
  8. Enjoy!

*For food safety, I encourage cooking until the egg whites are firm, at a minimum.

Posted 04/15/19
2-AM Cookie Dough

Because sometimes, you’d really rather just have it raw. Or using the oven would wake up the whole house. Or maybe both.

[image will be here]

Ingredients
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 2 Tbsp softened butter
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 1/8 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 Tbsp milk
  • 5 Tbsp flour
  • 2 Tbsp chocolate chips
Directions
Disclaimer: follow at your own risk. I hereby take no responsibility for any mishaps that may or may not occur when following these exact instructions.
  • Decide, at approximately 2 in the morning, that it is absolutely imperative that you have cookie dough. Now.
  • Taking care to avoid creaking floorboards, creep your way downstairs like some sort of faux-baking goblin and get out a decently-sized cereal bowl and a fork.
  • Realize that the butter, having been in the fridge for the past few hours, is by no means ‘softened’. Rub it between your hands a little bit, then give up and just put it in the bowl with the brown sugar and salt. Mash thoroughly with your fork.
  • Search frantically for the vanilla. Manage to stop yourself, at the last minute, from using peppermint extract - the bottles look exactly the same and it is a problem. Eventually notice a random jar of vanilla sugar and add what is hopefully enough to make it sufficiently vanilla-y. Note: if in possession of actual vanilla, add during the previous step.
  • Add a tablespoon of milk. Yeah, it’s gonna be a little bit… soupy at this point, but trust me, you’ll need it when the flour gets added.
  • Discover that the Tupperware container of flour is suspiciously empty. Frantically search pantry, and discover no less than four unopened packages of powdered sugar, yet no flour in sight. Notice the seemingly-bottomless package of Bisquick sitting innocuously in a corner. Think for a minute. Turn to Google to figure out whether or not this is actually a truly terrible idea.
  • Having discovered that no, Bisquick will probably not completely ruin your cookie dough, slowly add 5 tablespoons of it. Mix well after each addition, doing your best to avoid flour poofs. Depending on your preferences, you may need less or more flour Bisquick, so make sure the finished product is of a consistency you like.
  • Add the chocolate chips! Panic internally as you open the bag, as it’s firmly tied with a rubber band and is making way too much noise as you try to get it open. Naturally, 2 tablespoons is not a hard-and-fast rule, merely… a guideline.
  • Enjoy! Eat with the fork, a spoon, or just your fingers, and make sure you don’t make noises on your way back upstairs. Technically, the recipe makes enough that you could save some for the next day, but where’s the fun in that?
Posted 04/15/19
Sad Day Pom-Apple Juice

Ingredients:
About 6 ounces of Apple Juice
About 1 once of Pomegranate Juice
A few ice cubes if desired (I skipped the ice because I didn’t want Ice in my juice)
Your favorite tall glass, preferably with a fun design on it
A straw?

Instructions:
Pull your fun glass out the cabinet while lamenting your current predicament of being banned from both carbonated, and caffeinated beverages (and solid foods, but that’s another issue all-together).
This is also the time you should add the ice if you want ice in your juice (our ice-maker is messed up, so I decided against ice).
Pull the out of the fridge, realize you only have half a gallon left and add it to the shopping list.
Pour about 6 ounces of apple juice in the glass, or until the glass is nearly full.
Replace the bottle of Apple juice in the fridge.
Attempt to pull out the bottle of Pomegranate juice, instead grabbing the Pomegranate-Blueberry juice by mistake…
Replace the Pomegranate-Blueberry juice and grab the Pomegranate juice.
Fill your glass the rest of the way with Pomegranate juice.
Put the Pomegranate juice away and grab a straw to both stir your juice and drink it with.
Enjoy your Sad Day Pom-Apple Juice! Hopefully, it is yummy enough to make up for the long list of foods the doctor has banned!

(Spoiler: While the juice is very yummy, it is not quite yummy enough to make up for being unable to consume Hot Chocolate, Lasagna, or Peach Icecream…)

Posted 04/15/19
Curd Donuts

Ingredients:
200 gr of curd
1 egg
70 g rice + whole grain flour
20 g raisins
20 g coconut sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
poppy seeds, sesame seeds for sprinkling

How to:
1. Mix together the curd, egg, flours, raisins, sugar and baking powder.
2. Then shape into donuts (I used colorful pans cause my melancholic mood needed some color).
3. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and poppy seeds.
4. Bake at 180 degrees in Celsius 25-30 min.

Make some tea or coffee, whichever you like, and enjoy your day.

Posted 10/16/20
lolali Sorry to bother you, but this activity appears to have ended. The last post seems to be from April last year.
Posted 10/16/20