14:27 ST
New game: Echolocation

Hi everyone!

We’re announcing a brand new game: Echolocation!

Four wasps have stolen some nuggets, and escaped into their nest. You need to figure out where they all are before going in to retrieve them, but if you make a mistake they’ll get spooked and fly away. The rules for this game are a little more complex than Cave In, so it has its own instructions page.

I hope you enjoy this game as much as I do :D

Note: Echolocation highscores for March will be displayed, but not rewarded. April will be the first month for which Echolocation highscores will get rewards.

A big thank you to Ishy and Sapphy and Insigne for their help coming up with the setting for this game :)

Posted 03/24/14, edited 03/24/14
omg! *goes to check it out*
Posted 03/24/14

Is there really 6 wasps? I keep hitting complete when I find four but then it shows two that I’ve missed?

edit: get it now c:

I don’t quite understand what the numbers mean…is it the number of times it gets deflected?
Posted 03/24/14

There are four wasps. When you click ‘complete’, the wasps with the green background are ones you got right, the wasps with the red background are ones that you missed. Your incorrect guesses stay grey. If you’re seeing two green, two red and two grey, it means that you got two of them (the grey ones) wrong, and the actual location of those wasps are the red-background ones.

The numbers are just to help you differentiate the different sound waves. They’re just assigned in order.

Ohh, I understand! Man, this is puzzling…
Posted 03/24/14
Wow, difficult game XD I played a couple rounds and kept only missing one. I think maybe there should be a payout depending on how many you get? Instead of getting nothing if you miss one, because it’s really disappointing to miss one and get nothing for the three you did get, you know?
Posted 03/24/14

Yeah, I agree. I keep getting two and missing two, haha.

edit: I did it!!

I really really really like this game.

The payout currently isn’t as quick as cave-in but it’s more consistent and fun. At least for me. *plays 18 billion more rounds*

Posted 03/24/14
Interesting game, kind of like Mine Sweep? Which I do so-so at xD. So I think for now I shall stick to Cave In. Shame it had to be wasps and not Bees. I like Bees (Well over wasps anyway xD).
Posted 03/24/14

There was a way the lines were bending that I didn’t understand- whined at Ishy about it and then THIS happened:

You@All: -SCREAM
Ishy@All: I know I HATE the ones that go straight through
Ishy@All: .......
You@All: that
You@All: ...
Ishy@All: okay
You@All: Wat
Ishy@All: bottom three there
Ishy@All: middle one
You@All: ...
Ishy@All: it’s down there
Ishy@All: the one straight up from that
Ishy@All: to the left
Ishy@All: two right
Ishy@All: NO PUT IT BACK
Ishy@All: yes
Ishy@All: there
Ishy@All: no no
Ishy@All: pit that back
Ishy@All: remove the one bottom left
Ishy@All: NO
Ishy@All: remove
Ishy@All: that one
Ishy@All: bottom left
You@All: What bends the 5 then?
You@All: oh
You@All: that reflected one
You@All: ??
Ishy@All: remove the one above the R
Ishy@All: now go up
Ishy@All: up
Ishy@All: no
Ishy@All: up
Ishy@All: NO
Ishy@All: GO BACK
Ishy@All: down
Ishy@All: right
Ishy@All: too far
Ishy@All: there
Ishy@All: good god

COMEDY GOLD. RIGHT HERE FOLKS.

Posted 03/24/14
Awesome! I can’t wait to play it. *runs off*
Posted 03/24/14
Oh dang, I love this kind of game! I can’t wait to try it out *v*
Posted 03/24/14

Ooh, I like it so much more than cave in! Took a while to get a hang of it though. :‘3
If the rewards get higher I’ll probably switch to it. :D

Posted 03/24/14

I have a feeling I’m not smart enough for this game… but I’ll give it a try later today regardless! It’ll be a nice change to the routine, in any case.

I’m really happy you’re introducing more and more games! Thanks~

Posted 03/24/14

Ohhhh, I totally thought that the numbers referred to the number of times it was deflected. Whoops. :<

As soon as I figured out that was not the case, I got a score. ;D This is gonna be killer fun for me, I like it now that I’ve figured it out.

Maybe post a clarification about the numbers in the instructions?

Posted 03/24/14

I don’t understand the game at all (the instructions don’t make sense to me), but it looks cool. I’ve tried, the most I can get is 2 (& that’s having every tile open, lmao). I don’t understand the differences between the numbers, or how you can even guess where one is? I think I’ll just stay with cave in, I don’t think I’ll be able to get all four (in order to get paid), let alone be able to figure it out without opening all the tiles.

Kris, the first time I played I was like “...the heck is this thing?!” >:(

It took quite a few plays and I always describe the game as “Battleship + Minesweeper + crying”.

Posted 03/24/14

I used only Echolocation to get to the nugget cap today. It takes much, much longer than Cave In… but I find it a lot more fun. It is hard to tell if that is just because I have played way too much Cave In or not though ahaha.

If a lot of people are finding the numbers confusing it may be better to change them to symbols on coloured squares instead.
The number doesn’t actually mean anything, it is just a… for lack of a better word “grouping” showing the entry and exit point of a sound-wave.

I really like how our existing games are so different from one another. I’m still figuring this one out, but it’s definitely a nice change from Cave In :)
Posted 03/24/14

@tidda - it is also showing the number of turns used. If just a symbol then would need to change that too.
You can focus on the squiggle or colors if that helps too ouo;;

Posted 03/24/14

Ishy and Sapphy That is incorrect.. If you find a reflected/absorbed tile, or five… the first unhindered/deflected with entry exit point will still be marked as one. The point of my suggestion was more about users initial understanding of the game mechanics. Often when numbers are used, people look too much into the number. It had been mentioned above that someone had thought they were counting how many times a sound-wave had been deflected. Also… your own mistake of thinking they were counting turns. Confusion is the quickest way to make people avoid playing a game. If it were a symbol they would more easily identify the purpose. ;)

I hope my 1am reply makes sense <3

I’ll say that for sure, Tidda. This game is waaay too confusing to me. I don’t like it. Though I did get it all correct once, I didn’t get any nuggets or points. Is that suppose to happen? ‘Cause a lot of the people in this thread seem to be acting like the game gives out nuggets.
Posted 03/24/14
Shima The game does give out nuggets if you have not already reached the 3k cap with another game. If you uncovered every outer tile in order to find your wasps you will not receive any score or nuggets.
Posted 03/24/14
Yeah, someone else told, but thank you for answering anyway, Tidda! I think I’m just going to stick to cave in and hope that mushroom meals will be released sometime soon. That’s been in beta for a long time.
Posted 03/24/14
Shima, I believe the issue with Mushroom Meals at the moment is that there’s really little that can be done against people using solvers :( Makes it hard to put a proper price on it for people that do play fair..
Posted 03/24/14
That’s a neat game :D Took me a few tries to understand what the letters and numbers on the edges meant but I’ve had a couple of wins since and I think I’m getting the hang of it. I’m pretty much just using deflection and reflection though, my mind can’t really wrap around the more complex echos. I don’t think it’s the type of game I would sit for hours trying to beat my high score but it’s great to have another option when I’m just looking for something to occupy a few minutes here and there, and I love that it’s themed so well with the site!
Posted 03/24/14

Oh my, this is fun c: And a lot more unique~

Does anyone have a award table - like how many unused squares = how many nuggets?

Also, how exactly are the points awarded? It looks like Number of Squares unused, just that raw number = points?

Posted 03/24/14

Shima: yeah an update on Mushroom Meals is probably somewhat overdue. I won’t derail this thread talking about it here, but I’ll post in the Mushroom Meals thread.

Jingles: yes, for now, 1 unused X = 1 point = 1 nugget

woooh finally got it right :D

I love this game !!

Posted 03/24/14