13:39 ST
Staff Updates & Artist Applications
Staff Updates!

Hi everyone!  We have a couple of announcements regarding staff changes!

Artist Team Changes

First, Wren, one of our current artists, will be stepping down from her official Mycena Cave position.  She has been with the team a long time and has created beautiful coats and sprouts, many of which are often listed among players’ favorites.  Her skill with color, attention to coat detail, and her sweet nature have made her shine as a Mycena Cave artist, and she will be dearly missed as she puts a greater focus on her real life duties.  We extend a big thank you for all that Wren has created for us and for the positive impact she’s had on the staff team and the site in general.  We wish you the best of luck, Wren! <3

Do you have Wren coats in your collection?!

It has been approximately a year since we last opened artist applications. Due to a couple of empty spots, and the need for some of our other artists to scale back their commitments due to personal circumstances, Mycena Cave is looking to hire one or more new artists to join our team.

Hiring New Artists: Job Description & Responsibilities

A Mycena Cave artist creates a wide variety of art for the site, ranging from coloring templated Mycenians to making original layout art.  Artists are carefully selected based on their conduct, professionalism, and how they execute the Mycena Cave style.  Therefore, artists are able to create art that contributes to the overall feel and look of Mycena Cave while adding their own personal and professional touch to the site.

While Mycena Cave artists enjoy a great deal of freedom in the types of art they contribute, each artist occupies a niche in which they specialize.  An artist’s specialty determines where the artist spends most of their time and effort. Specialties ensure that all critical on-going Mycena Cave art needs, such as sprout, custom, and item creation, are being met.

At this time, we are primarily looking for an artist to specialize in fulfilling sprout queue orders, though we would also be interested in hiring another custom artist.

Expectations & Requirements

Listed below are our expectations for a Mycena Cave artist:

• Artist behaves in a professional manner
  • Artist exhibits confidence with their artistic ability
  • Artist responds to and incorporates critique into their work
  • Artist has the time and the motivation to work on Mycena Cave regularly
  • Artist meets deadlines and follows instructions
  • Artist communicates effectively and professionally with Mycena Cave players and staff
  • Artist is friendly and gets along with Mycena Cave players and staff
  • Artist keeps staff-only information in confidence
  • Artist is willing to work primarily on sprouts and customs
  • Artist mimics the Mycena Cave style willingly and effectively
  • Artist uses SAI* or Photoshop Creative Suite**

(*For anyone interested in downloading SAI or trying the free trial period of 30 days, you can find the download on this page.  It’s a lot more affordable than new versions of Photoshop and it’s awesome!)
(**You can get an official Adobe CS2 download if you register an Adobe account and get it here:  It’s old but we’ve never had compatibility issues, and it’s still a great program)

Incentives & Drawbacks

Before you apply, be sure to ask yourself why you want to be a part of the Mycena Cave team! While Mycena Cave is a fun hobby for many of you thinking about applying, it’s important to realize that joining the staff team would lead to a dramatic change in the way you interact with the site, making it much more like a job — and as with any job, there are both positives and negatives to consider.

Incentives:
  • Help glitch and Myla make informed decisions about site policies and site directions
  • Become part of a close-knit staff team
  • Be matched with a staff artist mentor to help guide you and integrate you into the team
  • Receive compensation
  • Interact with a variety of different players, helping to bring their dream customs and sprouts to life
Potential Drawbacks:
  • Increased strain in relationships between you and non-staff friends because you must keep all staff information confidential
  • Stress because you may have Mycena Cave art deadlines on top of a busy schedule
  • Being held to a high standard of behavior on forums, chats, and echoes because you are representing Mycena Cave
  • Increased likelihood of being a target of harsh off-site critique by anonymous members because you are more visible
Overview of the Application Process & Trial Period

Our hiring process is broken down into several steps:

Initial Application: Open to anyone who is interested in being considered for the position(s). The application consists of three parts:
  • Art Examples - examples of previous work
  • Mycena Cave Style Request - Specific item drawn in the Mycena Cave style
  • Application Questions - Set of questions to which applicants must submit answers
Extended Application: Up to four artists will be picked out of the Initial Application entries and will be asked to complete the Extended Application. This consists of two parts:
  • Live interview with glitch, Myla, and another staff member in a private Mycena Cave chatroom
  • Fulfill a mock-order: You will act as a Mycena Cave artist and a staff artist will act as a customer while you create a mock-custom to their specifications (custom will have a minimum of a patterned coat, hair edit, and item edit)
Trial Period: One or two artists will be selected for a three-month trial period. Trial artists will:
  • Start receiving compensation for their work
  • Be assigned a staff mentor to help guide and orient them
  • Be slowly introduced to staff information with the assistance of their mentor
  • Start taking custom orders with their mentor added to all custom order echoes
    • Trial artists will track their working hours
    • Trial artists will be expected to fulfill a workload requirement customized to their availability
  • Receive regular art style critique from two artist staff members
  • Receive monthly feedback from Myla
Full Artist: After the trial period has been completed, Myla and glitch will give the artist(s) a final evaluation. If they meet all qualifications, then the artist(s) will join the team full-time.
The Initial Application

Please complete your application here. All applications must be received by the end of the day on May 7th (11:59 Server Time).

IMPORTANT: In order to keep the application process as fair as possible, please do not post or otherwise show off any of the content of your application during the hiring process. This includes but is not limited to: sharing your art entry in live chat, echoing friends or Mycena Cave staff for their opinion or feedback, or posting public threads containing your submitted application.

You can review the content of the application below, but you will need to complete the application using the Google Form. Any applications received via other means will not be looked at.

Art Examples
Please select and link to 3 pieces of recent (within the last year) work you feel exemplifies the quality of your work. 

Mycena Cave Style Request
Follow these directions closely:

• Objects in image: A plate containing sunny side up eggs, bacon, a muffin, and 3 pieces of fruit.  On the side, drinking glass made of clear glass with a design of three colored, horizontal, parallel stripes near the top of the glass.  Glass should be half full of orange juice and have a bendy straw.  If I haven’t listed specifics (such as type of fruit), it is artist’s choice.  We should be able to place your drawing on a Mycenian canvas as an item, so keep the perspective of the drawing in mind.
  • Minimum requirements:  Art should be lined, colored, and shaded and follow Mycena Cave’s style as closely as possible
  • File information: 300 x 300 pixels*, saved as a .png with a transparent background (*When you send me the file, I will resize it to 70%, 210 x 210 pixels)

We will be looking at how closely you can mimic the Mycena Cave style.  Here are some specific aspects of your art we will be focusing on:

• Lineart width
  • Lineart color
  • Contouring of pattern
  • Shading style
  • Shading color/intensity
  • Highlight style
  • Highlight style/intensity
  • Perspective of the drawing
  • How well all the colors/shapes work together
  • Ability to follow request directions

Application Questions

1. Are you at least 18 years of age?
  2. What timezone are you living in?
  3. What is the easiest way to contact you outside of Mycena Cave?
  4. How much time do you spend on Mycena Cave weekly? (Please provide an hourly estimate.)
  5. Tell us about your current responsibilities offline. Are you balancing a school or work schedule?
  6. How much time can you dedicate weekly to Mycena Cave, not including recreational use? (Please provide an hourly estimate.)
  7. List any art programs you currently own, and any programs you do not own but have experience with.
  8. Provide your current model of tablet and any additional hardware used for your digital artwork.
  9. Please list any relevant experience you may have, and any associated references. This may include but is not limited to: selling commissions, operating an art shop, or working as a staff artist elsewhere.
  10. Are you more comfortable working on pieces with specific direction or pieces that permit more artistic freedom?
Questions?

Feel free to ask any questions you may have regarding our application process or expectations in this thread! You may also echo Myla with questions.

Posted 04/22/16, edited 04/22/16

oooooo more artists.

Good luck to entrants! (pssst sid u should apply)

Posted 04/22/16
oh my god [@chinchou] i can’t wait to cram my head up ur Official Site Artist butt
Posted 04/22/16

Awww. I never did get a Wren custom to add to my collection. So sorry to see you leaving. I wish you luck in your future endeavors. <3

Woo hoo new artists!! Good luck to everyone applying. Can’t wait to see what you guys can do!

Posted 04/22/16
hnnnnnng I’m gonna try this…
Posted 04/22/16
YES! Gonna apply as soon as I get settled after we move this weekend!!! + v+
Posted 04/23/16

> submits application
> sweats nervously

wow I never thought I’d be able to apply >_<
good luck to all the entrants !! ouo

Posted 04/23/16
*gently wheezes*
Posted 04/23/16
I’m sad to see Wren leave the staff, and I wish her all the best! She’s so talented, and I hope she will go far. Wren’s work on Doppelgänger and Royal Sunset still blows my mind ... The effort she also put into the Arcane Mage and Rhythm Master is *iconic* to me. Their designs are gorious, yes, but you can really see the thought put into it! Ugh. We love you Wren, trust.
Posted 04/23/16
It’s been lovely having you here as an artist, Wren! Thank you so much for everything you’ve done for us, I’ve really enjoyed watching your creations become part of Mycena Cave. I hope you stick around and, if you find the time, continue to wow everyone here with your art on the forums <3
Posted 04/23/16

ahh Wren will be sorely missed around here! may they go on to more amazing successes <3

also, um, not sure if i’m reading it wrong, but are we to expect other staff changes coming up?

the post says ‘a couple’ of announcements and then ‘firstly’ but i can’t see any mention of ‘secondly’ and maybe i’m just being paranoid heh…

Posted 04/23/16
Aww, sad to see you go, Wren. Your on-site coats are one of some of my favorites (Pearly Depths!) and I love a lot of the babies and customs you worked on! I hope you’ll still stick around to chat with us at least!
Posted 04/24/16

Thank you Wren for having such lovely work on this site for so long! <3 I hope all your real life stuff goes well for you! ^-^

And to all those applying, best of luck! :D

Posted 04/25/16
Thank you for all your work Wren!! I’m happy to have two of your site coats! And a few of the customs you’ve done are on my fave list <3
Posted 04/25/16

Thank you, everyone, for the incredibly kind words. I can’t stop smiling. <3 It’s been such a joy and honor to get to work for this amazing site, and it makes me so happy that my work made others happy as well! I’m so lucky to have gotten to be even a small part of this site, and I’m so humbled that I was able to work with such an amazing group of people for the past few years. You all are amazing!

And to everyone applying, best wishes! I cannot wait to see what amazing surprises and creations staff old and new will have in store for the site. ;w;

(Sorry for the edit, I can’t type omg…)

Posted 04/25/16, edited 04/25/16
A reminder there is only a few more days to apply! :)
Posted 05/04/16

*Sheepishly peeks in*

Sad to see you go, Wren! You were definitely one of my favorite site Artists, made one of my mockups into a beautiful custom on site, and made me my favorite sprout, Shark Bait. Thank you for all you’ve done.

Posted 05/04/16
Application deadline is approaching!

All applications must be received by the end of the day on May 7th (11:59 Server Time).  Late applications will not be accepted, so be sure to get yours in before then if you plan on applying. :D

To those of you who have applied, you will hear back from us no later than the 14th!

Posted 05/06/16
Round 1 of the application process is now complete!

All applicants should have received an echo updating the status of their application. Five applicants have been invited to proceed to the second round. Next, we will be conducting interviews with these applicants and having them complete a mock custom order.

A big thank you to everyone who applied! :) Those of you who were not selected for round two may now share your application publicly, if you so wish!

Posted 05/13/16

Finally I can get this plate off my chest

Posted 05/13/16, edited 07/16/17

-Sid
Wow, that is really impressive! Keep arting, it looks great!

Posted 05/14/16

dang…....how did i not make it in…....i worked so hard on this…........this contest is rigged…....................

Posted 05/14/16

Ta-da…

Posted 05/14/16
*giggles over Chande’s reply ^.^  and reaches for the bacon and eggs from Sid’s plate and slurps the OJ from Lawk ~ Yummmmmyyyy entries you two!!!  =O
Posted 05/15/16
Artist interviews are complete, and the mock custom requests have been sent out!  The mock-custom stage will last ~1 - 2 weeks. :)
Posted 05/21/16