12:43 ST
[Rule Clarification] Queue Rules & Guest Pass Rules

Phage to give my answer to your second question,  I’ve seen two major reasons why people usually prefer to breed customs vs site pets. Usually, the custom is a representation of a strong character; a character strong enough that the person was willing to put a great deal of time, effort, and/or money to create a customized version of.

The second reason is sort of a continuation of the first; sprouts are inspired at least in some way by the parents, either in aesthetics and/or story, so if you’re in love enough with a character to have them be created for looks or story purposes, it typically means that something you love will be part of the sprout too. Because you can get at most 3 sprouts a year from the queue, if you already have a special customized character, it’s usually their sprout that you want to see first, especially since many people who go into the sprout queue are people who habitually enter all the queues at one point or another. I have strong characters that are site coats that I don’t plan to make customs eventually who I’d love to get sprouts from, but they’re in line behind characters who I couldn’t help but make customs for; in my case because the character was so uniquely special to me.

Posted 01/22/16

Lena that seems like more of a reason to get a custom, the fact that their offspring might be based on the character’s story/aesthetics, rather than a reason that somebody would seek out somebody else’s custom to breed with(as with studding). i guess i should clarify that i wasn’t asking why someone would breed their character customs together, since there are other reasons than merely getting more edits and stuff(i that would be like asking why people get customs of their characters at all, haha).

mostly i wonder why somebody would want somebody else’s custom pet that they have no connection to for a breeding if the artists dont supply a solid guarantee of what the offspring will look like as an incentive. i’ve seen that implied in the forums before, and it kinda made me scratch my head. the only way i figure is if somebody also liked the character and/or wanted to rp?

idk. if not, maybe it’s simply because the parents do have some kind of influence and the offspring aren’t completely random, and that’s enough of a reason.

Posted 01/23/16
Species and lineart edits will depend solely on members of the parent geness.Sprout Order Page

Phage This line on the Sprout Order Page is why users might consider studding an exploit. As it’s been explained to me by staff in the past, the amount of edits on a sprout is a rough average of the parents edits. If studding highly edited customs became a wide practice, more sprouts on average would require more time/edits by staff. This isn’t fair to the artists, considering the set pricing of sprouts and relative scarcity of pets with 4+ edits. If more sprouts on average where expected to have tons and tons of edits, sprout cost would either have to increase or edit quality would have to decrease. The cost increase would discourage users who are not putting in genesses with large amounts of edits and the latter would be discouraging to users who spend lots of time/money putting together highly edited custom pairs, hoping to get more edited offspring as a result.

Consider, I get a highly edited custom. I could stud him into a new geness roughly every 52-ish days (Average wait of 22 days to get accepted + 30 days for a sprout to grow) before breaking the geness with shrooms and moving to a new geness. That one custom would increase the number of edits on sprouts involved with it, by merit of it being involved/inspiring the geness. That means that custom could have more sprouts in time than the average geness going through the queue (which has 120 day cooldown + queue wait time to get through). I believe this is why it’s being considered an exploit and is unfair to the user base on the whole, to practice studding.

Posted 01/23/16
Lord ohh, that makes sense, when it comes to heavily edited customs like that. i’ve never done a breeding myself and I wouldn’t be able to tell you which sprouts on the sprout page came from a custom on first glance but if a pet tends to produce sprouts with higher edits, then studding would definitely be exploitative of how the queues are supposed to work.
Posted 01/23/16

This cleared up a lot of questions I had about the custom queue. Although, I do have one that I’ve never really seen brought up:
Is it against the rules/protocol to order a custom pet with the direct intention of trading it away?

Posted 01/24/16

[@assassin]
That’s not against the rules. However, just be sure to keep in mind that you can’t trade a custom until 60 days after its creation. :)

Posted 01/24/16
Okay, that clears everything up. Thank you Crow!
Posted 01/24/16
Crow  I have a question about Sprouts now that we have the fabulous new gazes.  I have a Blue Morph Butterfly and I intend to get her a green gaze.  If I go through a Sprout line, would the artists take in consideration her green coloured eyes, or would it default to the normal blue eyes for the Sprout?
Posted 02/01/16

OregonCoast

Hi Oregon! I’m obviously not Crow, but I do have an answer! Truth is, sprouts are kind of a crapshoot. Some sprouts the artist will do to completely resemble and borrow concepts and pieces from their parents, and some sprouts will look nothing like them! It’s really more how the artist is feeling and what they want to draw based on how they are inspired by your geness.

Edit: I just realized that that…didn’t really answer your question. I’m pretty sure if the artist decided to use pieces of the parent geness for your sprout, they would use the green eyes rather than the blue ones because every geness and pet is unique and their references of the geness would be of the green eyed morpho and not the blue eyed one. However, I’m not an artist and I can’t be 100% sure on that.

Posted 02/01/16, edited 02/01/16
radio  thank you for the reply!!!  c=
Posted 02/01/16
OregonCoast:  Artists use the official geness image at the time the order is accepted!  This means that items that your geness Mycenians are wearing or a driftshroom applied to the parent could influence the appearance of your sprout.  For example, if you put a ton of flower items on the parents, your sprout may be more likely to have a flower design incorporated into its coat.
Posted 02/01/16, edited 02/01/16
Myla  thank you very much for the help and info Myla c=
Posted 02/01/16

OregonCoastradio:

To add on to Myla’s post, I wouldn’t describe it as a crapshoot but they are designed to be unique and not in a “1 + 1 = 2” formula. As Mycena Cave’s primary function is not as a breeding sim, artists here like to create sprouts based on the parents themes and concepts and not always directly off their colors. Everyone does have different tastes and if there is an eye color you must have for your sprout, once it grows up you’re welcome to submit it into the edit queue or use the new Enchanted Gaze items! Additionally you can always submit a custom with the request to incorporate a geness’s theme which would allow you more control on artistic direction!

Posted 02/01/16
Amaterasu  thank you for the extra help and info.  I agree, most of the excitement of a sprout is getting to see the various stages and wondering what they will look like when finished. 
Posted 02/01/16
Amaterasu, sorry, I promise that I didn’t mean that in a demeaning way! I meant to say that sprouts are really surprising and often come out in ways that you wouldn’t expect. I just got off of work and I’m not super eloquent right now, haha.
Posted 02/01/16
radio: No worries - no harm done at all,  I just wanted to clarify the process more because I’m sure many people are curious/still have questions about it! :D
Posted 02/01/16

In response to the several posts indicating that the gravity of what a guest pass allows was unclear, I’ve updated the text-blurb on the page where you generate them. It now reads:

You may not share your password with anyone that does not share this account. However, you can generate keys which grant access to your account. You can optionally set an expiry date, and can revoke any of these keys at any time. Users in guest mode may not access games, events, raffles, or this page. Besides these restrictions, guest passes provide full control of the account and everything on it, so do not give them out lightly: you are always fully responsible for all actions taken with your account.Account Settings

I hope that’s clearer :)

Posted 02/01/16