11:45 ST
[Forum Game] Mycena Cave Cuisine Competition - Homey Edition [STAFF RECIPE SUBMISSION TOPIC]
This is the Staff Recipe Submission Topic.
Submissions are now closed.

You can find details on the Mycena Cave Cuisine Competition - Homey Edition, both player and staff edition, in this Discussion Topic post. Please post all chit-chat in the Discussion Topic, and restrict posts in this topic to staff recipe submissions only.

Staff members have until Sunday, December 13th at 23:59 ST to post their entries. For staff entries, minimum participation constitutes of posting the ingredients, instructions, showing they made a clear effort to Mycenify their dish and giving you proof that they have made this recipe before. Proof can be in the shape of a photograph of the dish including their username in the picture, or alternately if they do not have access to a camera, providing another creative way that proves to you that they have actually made the dish before.

- Recipe: Ingredients
- Recipe: Instructions
- Creative: Mycenification
- Proof of Preparation

Handy Links
Posted 11/29/15, edited 04/29/16
REAL Pancakes (tm) with Cheese (& other good stuff)

- Proof of Preparation

Ingredients

Foodbits

• 450 grams of flour
  • 900 ml of milk
  • 3 eggs
  • Butter/sunflower oil
  • [Optional] Cheese, apple, bacon, powdered sugar, ...
    For other ideas, check out this site. May have to go to “Menu” -> “Pancakes” in the navbar (direct linking is a little wonky, it seems).

Basically, 150gr flour : 300ml milk : 1 egg, if you want to make a different sized batch :) With quantities listed above, I make 14-15 pancakes. Modularly, it’d be ~5 pancakes per batch depending on what size you make them.

Note: In the pictures below I used a mix of oats & flour, you can replace it in a 1:1 fashion for more firm/filling pancakes.

Equipment

• Mixing bowl
  • Whisk
  • Pan
  • 2 plates
Instructions
  1. Put flour in mixing bowl, add eggs. While stirring, gradually add milk. Keep stirring until the lumpy flour bits are gone (see picture 3).
  2. Prep the good stuff! Slice thin apple wedges, cut slices of cheese, prepare bacon strips, or anything else you’d like to add (see picture 5).
    Try to keep your slices of whichever good stuff thin. You’re going to flip the pancakes in the pan, which means if the good stuff is sliced too thickly the rest of your pancake isn’t going to get baked very well; See the difference between the bottom of the apple & the bottom of the cheese pancake to compare.

3. Butter in pan (see picture 6)! Then, lift the pan off the fire, drip a good scoop of batter in, and rotate the pan around until the batter has a nicely not-perfectly-round shape covering the bottom of the pan (see picture 7).
    Plain pancakes are approximately 1-3 millimeters in thickness. A little thicker than crepes, much more thin than American pancakes.

4. Wait until the batter has solidified, it’ll have turned a little darker in colour (see picture 8). When you lift the pan & shake it, the pancake should come loose on its own. Then use a spatula to carefully peek. When the bottom’s got a bit of a tan (see picture 9), flip it! Make sure to keep checking on the other side, it’ll need to get a tan, too (see picture 10).
  5. Once your first pancake is finished, put it on a plate, then turn the second plate upside down & put it on top (see pictures 12 & 13). Stack up all pancakes you make after that. If you intend to eat the pancakes right away, you may want to put the plates on a pan of boiled water to keep them hot.
    Make sure you check the top plate every now and then in between baking, it’ll become very moist due to condensation, so you might want to wipe this down a couple of times (see picture 14).

6. CHEESE/APPLE/BACON SPECIAL! Perform step 3, but immediately after the batter covers the bottom of the pan (when it’s still moist), add the slices of cheese/apple/bacon on top. If the slices are on the thick or heavy side, drizzle a little extra batter over the slices (see the apple example) to make sure it becomes a coherent substance. Continue as previously with step 4.
    Cheese: Pictures 15, 16 & 17
    Apple: Pictures 18, 19 & 20
    Bacon: Pictures 21 & 22

7. Repeat until you have a huuuuuge pile of pancakes (see pictures 23 & 24)! AND THEN: ADD THINGS* ON TOP & EAT :D
    Suggestions for things: [Sweet] Powdered sugar, syrup, chocolate sprinkles, jam; [Savoury] Sausage, shredded cheese.

Mycenification

Augh, such a hungry tummy ache
I know, I know, I know what to make!
A crispy, flimsy, tasty, pastry pancake~

Pour the batter like a little lake
Wait for it, wait for it, w a i t f o r i t t o b a k e . . .
(Make sure it doesn’t cake!)

Give the pan a little s h a k e
Pop it on a plate, make sure it doesn’t br eak
& Have it for lunch, dinner, or a tea break!

Proof of Preparation

As is proper, one does with a pancaek as must be done with a pancaek.

SPITTING IMAGE!

Posted 11/29/15, edited 11/30/15
Crow’s No-Sweat Moo Stew
This stew is gluten free, but does not adhere to any other dietary restrictions.

- Proof of Preparation

Disclaimer: I didn’t realize until writing this up that I am very lax when it comes to measurements.
Luckily, this particular dish is very flexible!

Ingredients:

Edibles:

• 1 lb stewing beef (preferably fully thawed)
  • 1 cup dry red cooking wine
  • ~1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
  • 4 cups beef stock
  • 2 beef boullion cubes
  • black pepper, to taste
  • Vegetables! Any kind you want, in just about any quantity. I used:
    • Frozen peas (~1/2 bag)
    • Chopped spinach (~1/4 bag)
    • Rainbow carrots* (a couple of handfuls - chopped up into smaller pieces)
      **Note: regular carrots are fine too, I just really love rainbow carrots, haha

• 2 celery stalks
    • Small bag of fingerling potatoes* (cut into smaller pieces)
      **Again, any type of potato will do!

• 1/2 onion, chopped
    • ~2 moderately-sized scoops of minced garlic

Equipment:

• 4 quart slow cooker
  • Cutting board & knife
Instructions:
  1. Select your vegetables and chop them up into bite-sized pieces.
  2. Place vegetables and beef into slow cooker.
  3. Add beef stock, cooking wine, balsamic vinegar, and boullion cubes.
  4. Stir just a bit to mix around your ingredients.
  5. Cover crock pot, set heat to low.
  6. Allow approximately 8 hours to cook. Aren’t slow cookers just the best?
  7. Stir occassionally if you want to. Or don’t.
  8. After it’s finished cooking, add black pepper to taste, and serve. :)

Makes approx. 6 servings

Mycenification:

WIP!

Proof of Preparation:

(I forgot to put my username into the image, but that is definitely my group’s D&D stuff scattered around the table, haha. And yes, I eat beef stew with a fork.)

Posted 12/02/15
fey’s Suspiciously Red Sauce

- Proof of Preparation

Forward:
I debated pretty long about which recipe to choose. As an Ex-Pat, there are numerous things that send me flying off into homesickness “i remember that” lands. Most of these things are typical American dishes and/or products. I didn’t want to submit Kraft Mac N Cheese, or poptarts. Preprepared things don’t count! :| Next I considered recipes from my family. While my family have an excellent stock of recipes that make me feel homey, I kept crossing them off my list for one reason or another. But then I thought, why can’t homey be the here and now? I have a home here, and I have my own recipes I’ve made. This recipe is one such recipe. I developed it over a few years, and it continually changes. Technically hubby just calls it my “special sauce” or “The fey Special”, but I changed its name for mycennial purposes! :D!

1 onion
2 cloves of garlic(I used one “whole clove”)
1 red bell pepper
1 small eggplant
1 Pepperoni Pepper
Button Mushrooms(Oops I forgot to check the package I think it was 500g though?)
1 package 500g Pureed tomatoes
1 can 400g Tomato Pieces(I used spicy)
1 can 140g Tomato Paste
1 package 180g veggie bits
100-150ml dry red wine
Olive Oil
Butter
Spices(Oregano, Basil, Rosemary, Savory, Thyme)
Salt
~ a palmful of Sugar

Also: Noodles! lol. Any kind you want!

****Note: Outside of the tomato puree, tomato paste, chunky tomatoes everything is adjustable. I often add olives, or leave out the eggplant, or whatever. If you use Real Meat(tm) then you would need probably ~300 grams raw to end up with the same 180g veggie. Hubbs and I like our sauce spicy, but again, that can all be left out. Alternately adding Chili peppers gives an even better flavor than the pepperoni, but I have trouble finding good ones here. The pepperonis are more reliable in quality.
*****More note: The sugar I add mainly to cut the acid. I get heartburn a lot and if I add the sugar I can handle this sauce well. Without the sugar, it burrrns it burrrrnnnnss. Dx

Pots
Cutting Board
Knife
Can opener
Scissors
Skillet(forgot in the pic oops)
Spatula
Stove
Some Bowls
Pretty normal stuff, I hope! :D! <3

Wash your veggies, all! Peel your onions and garlic! **Note about the shrooms: Don’t wash them in water! Use either a moist paper towel, a dry paper towel or even your hand. Otherwise you will have ~soggy sauce~ and we don’t want that! D:

Choppity your eggplant first, if you have one. Relatively thick slices. Heat your skillet and WITHOUT OIL roast the eggplants a bit. They ought to be a nice brown. Once they are browned, remove from skillet and pile them up. Allow them to cool!

While the eggplants are roasting/cooling, chop chop the rest of the veggies. I chop ‘em up fairly small, I like little bits! The garlic especially should be supersmall! Once everything else is chopped, chop the now cooled eggplants into chunks. I like to sort everything into bowls as my cutting board is small, hence the bowls. But however you’re comfortable do it! I took pic after everything was prepped.

Next, you want to toss yer pot on the stove, turn up that heat. It ought to be high. I have gas and I set my flame ALL the way up! Then I add in my olive oil and a chunk of butter(Note: if you use real meat, i’d cut back on the butter and oil. Or cut out the butter entirely and just use a leetle bit of olive oils) In top of that I toss in my peppers and onions. Once the peppers and onions are a bit roasted/clear lookin’ I toss in my garlics. Once I can really -smell- that garlic, I douse it all with the wine!

((I forgot a wine pic oops))
Once doused, I pop the shroomards in there!

AND I STIR IT ALL AROUND!

I let the shrooms cook a bit, until they start to shrink. Then I add the veggie crumbles and the rest of the veggies(eggplant today, no olives!)

Next I add the tomato paste and sugar and mix it thoroughly.

While continually stirring, I allow the tomato paste to roast a bit(still on high heat, remember?) When it starts sticking to the bottom of the pot, I add in the tomato puree, tomato chunks, and spices!

Turn the heat down to low and allow to simmer for a few minutes. After simmering a bit, take a taste and season to your liking. I don’t ever actually add salt to the sauce, but sometimes I add some extra sugar. I let my sauce simmer for maybe 10-15 mins more, stirring occasionally. It likes to blop everywhere, though. So a lid or a splatter-screen are useful tools.

While the sauce is simmering, I start the water for the noodles and cook them following the package directions. Mini Bowties for me today! :D!

OMNOMNOMNOM!!!!
Additional noms:
-Parmesean cheese on top
-Garlic Baguette with it
-Salads are also good

This batch makes enough hubbs and I can get 3 evening meals out of it for both of us(potentially plus leftovers) So it makes a lot. I usually freeze most of the leftover sauce to keep it from spoiling. I usually just hack off frozen chunks and toss them in the pot to reheat, I don’t even allow it to thaw. xD

(yeah I double posted this. LOL OH WELLL!)

Posted 12/03/15, edited 12/13/15
WIP!
Mrrlrr’s Vegetarian Chili of NOM!

The ingredients!  I forgot to include the vegetable stock though. :|

-Proof of Preparation

Ingredients

The Noms

• 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
  • 1 large red onion, chopped
  • 4 large garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 green bell pepper, chopped
  • 2 tomatoes (optional), chopped
  • Any other veggie you have (optional) - sometimes I put in carrots or different colors of bell peppers!
  • 15 oz canned black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 15 oz canned kidney beans, drained and rinsed
  • 28 oz of fire-roasted diced tomatoes (regular diced tomatoes also works), do not drain
  • 1 tbsp chili powder
  • 1 tbsp cumin
  • 1 tbsp cocoa powder
  • 1 tsp cayenne pepper (leave out if you don’t like spicy, put more if you really like spicy)
  • salt and pepper, to taste (i usually do ~1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper)
  • Non slow cook - 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 2 cups vegetable stock (non slow cook), 1 cup vegetable stock or water (slow cook)
  • (Optional) Garnishes - cheddar cheese, saltine (or oyster) crackers, sour cream

Equipment

• Measuring devices
  • Sharp object
  • Garlic press (optional)
  • Spoony devices
  • Slow cooker (optional)
  • Cutting board
  • Peeler
Instructions

Slow Cooker

1. Prepare the ingredients!  Peel & chop sweet potatoes, chop the onion, bell pepper, and tomatoes, and any other veggie you’d like to use.  Mince or press your garlic cloves.  Rinse and drain the beans.  You can just toss them into the slow cooker as you chop to make room on the cutting board.
  2. Measure out the spices (chili powder, cumin, cinnamon, cayenne, cocoa powder, salt, pepper) and dump into the slow cooker.
  3. Add the tomatoes (and their juice), beans, and the vegetable stock to the slow cooker.
  4. Cook on low for ~8 hours or cook on high for ~4.5 hours
  5. Top with any combination of cheese, crackers, and sour cream!

Non Slow Cook

1. Prepare the ingredients!  Peel & chop sweet potatoes, chop the onion, bell pepper, and tomatoes, and any other veggie you’d like to use.  Mince or press your garlic cloves. Rinse and drain the beans.
  2. In a large (4 - 6 quart) pot, sautée, stirring every few minutes, the sweet potato, onion, bell pepper and any other vegetable you’re adding in olive oil with medium-high heat.
  3. After ~5-7 minutes, turn the heat down to medium-low, add all of the spices, the canned tomatoes (& their juices), beans, and 2 cups of vegetable broth.
  4. Stir the mixture and then cover the pot and cook for 45 minutes - 2 hours.  Stir the chili once in awhile.  Chili is finished once sweet potatoes are cooked through and the liquid has reduced a bit.
  5. Top with any combination of cheese, crackers, and sour cream!

Peel the potatoes.  Pretend it’s a lazer gun and hunt the tomatoes. Pewpewpew!!!

Veggies are sacrificed to slow cooker god

Bean baths

The elusive vegetable stock!  You can use water if you’re like me an always forget to buy vegetable stock.

Everything is in the slow cooker and stirred up!  This is pre-cooking.

ONLY AN HOUR LEFT.  *STARES AND TAKES IT OUT EARLY*

All cooked!  Except I ended up eating a bowl and cooking it for another hour because I didn’t follow my own instructions, haha.

Mycenification

As the snow falls lightly through the Cave and the winter winds push past even the fluffiest fur, Mycenians gather together to eat warm meals.  A particular favorite of the more vegetarian members is vegetarian chilli! Raleigh (Feli) warms up with a great big bowl full of vegetarian chili on a particularly icy day.

Proof of Preparation

Posted 12/06/15, edited 12/12/15
Ama’s Clammy Chowder

- Proof of Preparation

Ingredients

Ingredients

• 2-3 small potatos, cubed
  • 1 large yellow onion, chopped
  • 1-2 large carrots, diced
  • 1-2 celery stalks, chopped
  • 2-3 cans of baby clams (depends on how much clams you want in it!)
  • 1 bottle of clam juice*
  • 1L or 1 quart of half-and-half cream
  • 1/2 cup butter+
  • 3/4 cup flour+
  • Black pepper to taste
  • Salt to taste
  • 1 tbsp red wine vinegar-

* Optional, can just use more salt instead
+Can vary depending on how ‘thick’ you want the soup to be
-Helps to remove some of the ‘fishiness’, balance out the flavor

Equipment

• Measuring cups & spoons
  • Knife
  • Can opener
  • Cutting board
  • Sieve
  • Pot
  • Saucepan/Saute pan
  • Whisk
  • Ladle
Instructions
  1. Open the cans of clam and drain them over a sieve (optional: collect the juices in the can for the soup in a bowl) and set aside for later.
  2. Chop up all your veggies! Honestly, I’m personally not very pick at how much of each is put it and how they’re cut, except that it a good hearty amount!
  3. Toss all your veggies into a saucepan, cover the veggies with the bottle of clam juice, juices from the can and water. (Can use straight water as well!)
  4. Cover with lid and let it cook on medium heat until all veggies are tender - can then let it simmer a bit longer under low heat as you get the base of the soup ready.
  5. In the pot, melt butter over low-medium heat and use the whisk to slowly add the flour tin. It’ll be pretty thick but also smooth.
  6. Pour in the half-and-half cream, whisking as you go until it’s smooth. It should be decently thick right now too, you can keep it heated for a bit longer for it to get thicker or add a bit more flour in. (if you add in more flour, first dilute it in water till smooth in another bowl or else it’ll form clumps in the soup!)
  7. Add the vegetables from the saucepan over to the pot.
  8. Add in the clams just before you turn off the heat so they don’t get too stringy/tough to eat!
  9. Finally put in the red wine vinegar and the salt & pepper to taste.
Mycenification

Although the Harvest Festival had come and gone, the Mycenians of the cave found themselves still itchy for so good ol’ hearty food. Marcy, of course, was more than happy to put everyone back to work - including the curious kelphi. Never before had they seen such a thing, sure there were all sorts of seaweed farms down in the waters but…what was this brown stuff? Why was there so much ‘dirt’? Where was the water? Really, all it took was some sprinkles?

Skeptical and wary, they watched as the other inekis and drasilis gathered up baskets upon baskets of vegetables. One curious kelphi snagged a white spherical one with many layers and took a bite…and instantly gagged and spit it out. Clearly the land-dwellers stomachs were made of hardy things to stand the taste of this. Again and again, they found the food of the upper world unpalatable.

The kelphi felt guilty, they had never realized they were such picky eaters, all the while their land-dwelling brethren were trying their best to find something they would like to eat. And just when all hope was to be lost, one ineki had a marvelous idea. Why not, instead of trying to make the kelphi like their food, simply fuse them together to find something both could enjoy? With a new spark of hope, the Mycenians worked endlessly to find the perfect thing for them all to share.

And find it they did. Just in time for the winter’s chill, a hearty soup for all. With clams from the kelphi’s underwater home and the vegetables painstakingly gathered from Marcy’s farm came a creation that the residents of the cave would enjoy for many years to come: clam chowder.

Proof of Preparation

(I am very slow at this oh god)

Posted 12/06/15, edited 12/13/15
Grey’s Strangely Nutty Cookies

So named because there’s far more chocolate, but they always taste of nuts…

- Proof of Preparation

A Quick Note

I’m not sure how many bakers we have here, but to be safe (and make sure non-bakers can give this a shot nice and easily, if wanted), I’ve included First Time Bakers! notes. Some of these may seem a little obvious, but they’re all things I wish I’d had someone to tell me the first time I attempted to make cookies, and some of them are firmly on the list of things that left me ‘whatdidIdooo???’ing. I thought I’d save some pain by sharing~

…I’ve also rambled. A lot. Sorry about that >__>

Ingredients

1 Egg
Pinch of salt
50g Brazil nuts
200g Self-rising flour
125g White chocolate
125g Butter (softened)
125g Soft brown sugar

Instructions

Initial Preparation
- Roughly chop the brazil nuts into small(ish) pieces.
I recommend cutting each nut (across its width) into three-four pieces (depending on size), then roughly halving/quartering the resulting disks. Try to avoid making all of your pieces very small or large, as this will impact the texture/taste, and may not turn out as well.

Nuts like to ping across counters / rooms when they’re cut, so be wary of that. There’s also no need to ‘shell’ them, so don’t worry about trying to remove the outer brown. You’ll be there forever and likely lose a lot of nut in the process. You may also get a very bemused look from any family member / housemate who might happen to wander past.

- Roughly chop the chocolate into ‘chips’
If you can find it, you can substitute bars for shop-bought white chocolate chips – but I’ve never found any, so cut it down myself. Cooking chocolate can be used here, but really any kind of plain white bar works (I typically use Tescos white chocolate, for example).
Most of your chocolate chips should be a little larger than your nut pieces, and generally around the size of a 5p / 1 cent coin (but don’t worry if some pieces are smaller). I recommend cutting the bar diagonally (across its width) first, then cutting the strips down to smaller pieces; always find it a quicker/easier method to use. Keep any smaller flakes, too; just push them into your container along with the chips, and use them with the rest.

Chocolate is surprisingly difficult to cut (harder even than the nuts), so expect this to be time-consuming. You may find it helpful to press down on the top of the blade whilst cutting; the extra pressure helps the knife cut through more easily.
Chocolate may also ping, but is less likely to do so than nuts.

- Weight out your flour, sugar, and butter (keeping the ingredients in separate bowls/containers for now). Add a small amount of salt to the flour.

Make sure you get your butter out of the fridge a few hours before you start baking, or you’ll find it very difficult to work with. If you forget to do this in advance, then you can weigh your butter and then place it on a dish and microwave it for short bursts of around 5 seconds, until it’s just going soft – but this needs to be done carefully and really isn’t ideal. Alternatively, you can dice your butter into smaller pieces and leave it to one side whilst you prepare your other ingredients, but again, not ideal.

- Crack and beat the egg

A dinner knife comes in handy here! Tap the flat side of the blade sharply against your egg, and it will be far easier to crack without egg shells ending up in the cup/jug/bowl

- Line / grease your baking tray/s!
More often than not I’ll line my trays with tinfoil, then grease said foil with a small amount of butter, but the foil isn’t necessary. It basically just cuts down on cleaning, and seems to make it a little easier to remove the cookies once they’re cooked.

Putting It All together

I strongly recommend keeping a dinner knife handy throughout this process. The mixture will get stuck to the mixing spoon on a regular basis, and a knife is a painless way to scrape said mix back into the bowl so everything can be stirred together properly. It also increases your chances of not spreading the mix everywhere, which makes cleaning up far easier. Trust me on that.
That said, you may still want a tea towel handy…

- Beat the butter and sugar until light/fluffy
The best comparison I can think of for what you want here is an icing-like texture, so aim for that. You may find the butter a little…stubborn (particularly if it hasn’t softened enough), but this can be combated by dicing the butter before adding it to the bowl, and pressing/’smoothing’ it between the spoon bowl sides until it’s soft enough to work the sugar into. You can do this regardless of whether the sugar is in the bowl, so don’t worry too much about which you put in first.

Note: My butter may be a little too soft here; left it out a little long this time.

- Slowly add in the egg, and beat/stir the mixture together
Again, you’re looking for an icing-like texture at the end of this, and should aim for the same texture in between each addition of the egg. Making a little ‘well’ in the centre of the mixture, and pouring the egg into said well, is a helpful practice, as it allows you to fold the rest of the mixture over/into the egg before you start beating it together.

The mixture will usually split, clump up, and generally look horrible / like something has gone terribly wrong after each addition of egg. Don’t panic! Just keep stirring and eventually it will recombine and look much like it did before the egg was added.
Avoid adding large amounts of egg at once. This will make the splitting far worse and increase the amount of time needed to recombine the mix. Adding the egg in four-five small ‘batches’ is generally a good rule of thumb to go by.

Note: No examples of how the egg splits the mix, because a: it really does look horrible, and b: this stage always puts me in ‘STIR!!’ mode once said splitting occurs so I…kind of forgot…

- Slowly sift in the flour (and salt), and stir until well-blended
This is where the mixture begins to bulk out / thicken up, but you’re still looking for a smooth mixture, with no flour left unblended. It’ll get harder to stir the more flour you add, so expect a certain amount of hand-ache by the time you’re done.

Add the flour in small amounts and fold the mixture in gently before doing any stirring. Flour likes to poof if you just attack it. And I mean seriously poof.
This is another stage where the mixture is likely to split as you go (which is another reason for adding flour in small amounts). Again, just keep stirring, and eventually it will recombine.

- Mix your chocolate and nuts together (if you haven’t done so already), then add them to the bowl and stir into the mixture.
For best results (and easier mixing) add the nuts/chocolate in smaller amounts. This will give you a greater chance of spreading them more evenly through the mix, rather than having them all clumped together in one place. Note that it’ll quickly get a lot harder to stir at this point, so if you haven’t got hand-ache yet, you probably will have once you’re done with this.

- Set the oven to 190C / 375F, and leave to heat up

- Using a teaspoon, transfer heaped spoonfuls of your mix onto the baking trays, taking care to leave plenty of space between each cookie
These things tend to spread out a lot, so don’t try to put all of your cookies on one tray. Also note that the final size / number of cookies depends entirely on how much mix you put into each cookie. In theory you should have enough mixture for 24, but personally I’ve never managed to make more than 14 from any one batch (largely because we like giant cookies, and I always but too much mix into each one).

Note: This is only part of the batch. The rest are on another tray (and I was out of foil, so only greased my baking trays this time)

- Bake for 10-15mins, or until your cookies are a golden-brown colour
Again, timing varies depending on the size, so keep a close eye on them whilst they cook. If they look a bit pale when you go to take them out then don’t be afraid to cook them for a little longer (but don’t increase the heat), and if you’re not sure whether they’re done or not then take a clean knife and push it through the centre of one or two of the batch. If the knife tip comes out tacky, then they need to be cooked longer, but if not, then they’re all good! You should also take a moment to check whether or not any of the cookies have spread into / joined with each other – if so, you can separate them again by making a clean cut along the ‘line’ with a sharp knife.

Cookies are soft when they first come out of the oven. Don’t try testing them by tapping them, as they will collapse, and don’t put them back into the oven for any longer (if they’re golden-brown / pass the knife test), or you’ll burn them. You just need to let them cool.

- Leave to cool for around ten minutes, then transfer to a plate
Use a spatula to remove each cookie from the baking tray without breaking them or running the risk of foil sticking to their undersides. At this point you’re free to either eat them (they will probably still be on the soft side), or leave them to cool further (they will harden a little more if you do this). Enjoy!

Mycenification

“No.”

“But it’ll be fun!” Thoroughly unsquelched by the flat answer, the Golden Glow craned her head further back and flashed her counterpart a bright smile, attempting to convince him with look alone. It was ineffective, of course—the old grump’s features hardly so much as twitched—but it at least held his gaze on her a little longer: ensured that his attention was still turned her way. That was a victory in and of itself, really, so she clung to it, eagerly pressing what little advantage she had whilst she still could: turning a quick “and you know it’ll be tidier if you help me!” his way.

It didn’t have quite the effect she’d hoped.

Rather than agreeing then and there the wiry cat merely snorted, allowing a flicker of scepticism to ripple across his face. A beat later he shifted as if to make himself more comfortable on his forked-branch perch; even allowed a paw to dangle in mid-air as he only did when he settled in to sleep. Worse, he closed his eyes in what could only be a very pointed manner, refusing to dignify her coaxing with an answer. To the kit it meant only one thing: the Cave Painting was unimpressed, tuning her out, and if she didn’t correct that quickly she would soon lose her chance.

Please, Umbra?”

“I don’t bake.

“But…” She trailed off, words temporarily failing her in the face of that half-growled answer – kept at by the lack of further movement from his form. He really did look like he was intending to sleep, and if that was the case then she was quickly running out of time even to talk to him before he’d left this cavern once more. She’d probably fall asleep before he woke, and when she woke he’d be gone, as he almost always was, and then there’d be no telling when he’d make his return. Guardian or not, he wasn’t exactly reliable company, however much he might watch their little home, and she couldn’t help but droop at the thought that this visit might turn into another of the brief-and-near-silent stays he’d made so many times before. She wanted to share something with him, maybe even make him smile—could he smile?—and she’d been sure that this was the best approach. But no. He wasn’t interested, and even when she murmured a “but I wanted to spend time with you” she did so without so much as the barest scrap of hope.

Which was why she was surprised when the Cave Painting stirred again, barely cracking an eye so he might stare down at her; meet her gaze. A moment or two later he sighed, folding that dangling paw back against his chest, and let his eyes meander from her to the little stock of ingredients she’d managed to collect for this very purpose – the collection of makeshift tools she already had on hand for the process itself. To say that he looked unenthusiastic was an understatement, but the fact that he had moved at all was enough to hold Mim’s eyes on him: enough to make her wonder

“Where, exactly, did you get all…that?”

“I—”

“Forget it.” The older cat shifted again, something complicated, not-quite-nameable, flickering across his face as Mim’s enthusiasm flared once more. As her ears raised, hope flaring within her gaze. “I’m not sure I want to know. But I guess you’d better tell me what you’re making.”

“Cave Cookies!” The kit smiled again, brightening now that Umbra was talking; asking questions; showing interest. “They’re great! You just take all this stuff and you mix it together, and then you cook it and can eat it!” she waved her tail as she spoke, bounding paws carrying her to her little store so she could snatch something from its midst: show it more easily to the cat perched above her. Of course his expression barely moved—except, perhaps, to collect a faintly puzzled tint—but she knew, now, that she had his attention. Wasn’t surprised when he spoke again.

“Why do you have a rock?”

“…It’s not a rock,” she huffed, wrinkling her nose as Cave Painting frowned down at her; wrinkled his brow in return. “…Or…well…okay, so it is a rock now, but it’s where the white powdery stuff comes from, right? We just have to—”

“It’s chalk, kit.”

“I know that, but—”

“And you have mud in your…’ingredients’, too.”

Yeah but—”

“I don’t bake,” Umbra sighed, gathering his paws more evenly on his branch-fork – finally rising to his feet. “But even I can see that your….’ingredients’ are wrong.” He turned, balance perfect as he moved towards the tree’s trunk; as he judged the distance and leapt nimbly from branch to branch to the roots cradling the ground. “If you must make these cookies, at least let me get the right ingredients for the things.”

“You mean you’ll help!?” She beamed, ears flicking forwards as she turned to him, letting the little lump of chalk drop back amongst her supplies. Her enthusiasm was back in full force now, and not even her guardian’s lingering frown could dissuade it, for the older cat had not only responded but left the higher reaches of the tree: shown a degree of interest she’d all but decided she wouldn’t get to see. He was giving her a strange look now, of course, but he was involved; he was helping; he was—

Growling a grudging “I’ll give you half a chance of avoiding poisoning yourself. That’s all.”

With that he turned, paws and tails keeping him perfectly balanced on the tangled roots surrounding her hollow, and the Golden Glow realised that there was a flaw to his agreement. That he was about to leave, head back into the caves, and leave her alone once more. Ordinarily it wouldn’t have worried her—it was safe here, and there was food, and he always came back—but today she wanted him to stay; stick around; act almost as if she wasn’t just some kit he kept half an eye on, but was really his. It was too much to ask, of course, but that didn’t keep her from wishing. Didn’t stop her calling out a half hopeless “can – can I come with you?” as the Cave Painting made to move away.

To her surprise, he paused.

Glanced back at her.

Sighed.

“Behave yourself,” he turned from her again, and Mim drooped once more – blinked, jerking her gaze to him, as another grumbling order floated back over his shoulder. “And keep up.”

For a moment she was lost; didn’t quite grasp his meaning. Then a grudging “hurry up,” snatched at her ears, and the kit whooped, waving her tails in delight. A beat later she’d scrambled onto the roots and made her own clumsy, bounding way to Umbra’s side, eager to make the best of the chance whilst it lasted. She chattered, too, ignoring his grimacing in favour of sharing every detail of the recipe she’d heard; relaying every little ‘tip’ she could imagine, no matter how pointless or absurd. And the best of it was that he listened, more or less, tolerating her where he otherwise wouldn’t – even sharing a little, just a little, of his knowledge of the caves.

The cookies themselves, when she finally attempted to make them, were two steps shy of a disaster. But Mim herself didn’t really care: her guardian had helped her, after all, and that was enough.

Proof of Preparation

Posted 12/12/15, edited 12/13/15
glitch’s Magic Beans (and rice and other stuff too)
Ingredients

Primary ingredients:

• 1 regular can of black beans
  • 1 green pepper
  • 1 large white onion
  • 2-3 tomatoes
  • 1 tbsp butter
  • rice

Season to taste with:

• 2 cloves garlic
  • 3 tsp salt (regular or seasoning, I like Lawry’s)
  • 1/2 - 1 tsp cayenne pepper
  • cooking (i.e. old) wine and/or balsamic vinegar

Let’s Get Started!

First, measure out two servings’ worth of rice (1.5 cups?) into a rice cooker and start it cooking. I love to forget this step, and it’s super disappointing when you finish the rest of it and realize you forgot to cook the rice, so get that started FIRST no complaining.

Next, get chopping. Chop your onion into little pieces, and then do the same with the green pepper. Get a large pan out, and melt a tablespoon of butter in it. You can use vegetable oil instead if you’re one of them “no butter” people, but in my opinion everything is better with butter. Put the chopped onion and green pepper in there and let ‘em cook a little (“saute”? whatever). You want to do this until they become what is called apparently “tendercrisp”. Tendercrisp is a fancy way of saying “cook this for approximately as long as it takes you to cut up the tomatoes”. Also mince and add the garlic if you want to.

I’ve “bean” choppin’ tomatoes

As I hope was implied at the end of the last paragraph, the next thing to do is chop up the tomatoes. Easiest way to do that is to cut ‘em into quarters, then scoop out the goop in the middle. You only want to be cutting up the “tomato wall” or whatever it’s called. Cut this into little squares. Also open your can of beans, and separate out the beanjuice into a glass.

Spice it up a notch

As you may perhaps have guessed, the next step is to put the tomatoes and the beans in the pan. Keep the bean juice separate for now though, since the tomatoes have lots of liquid that they’ll give up. Now is also a good time to add the 3 tsp salt (for the love of god do not use 3 tbsp it will be revolting, that is a mistake you do not make more than once) and the 1/2 - 3/4 tsp cayenne pepper (depending on how spicy you like your food). Let this cook for a while, allowing the tomatoes to give up some water. When it starts to look less wet, pour in the bean juice too. Mix it around so stuff doesn’t burn at the bottom. As it simmers down a bit, this is also a good time to season with balsamic vinegar and, if you happen to have some lying around, wine. I like a glass of wine but a whole bottle is a little much, so I tend to have wine lying around that’s no good for drinking, but great for cooking.

Simmerin’

Keep simmering over medium heat until it achieves a pasty consistency…  like toothpaste? A little runnier than toothpaste? You get the idea. Ok but that’s a super gross analogy because now all I can think of is toothpaste beans. ANYWAY. When it’s done, serve over the rice that you did not forget to cook.

Mycenification

It was early evening when Twinkletoes ran up to Spoony, very excited.

“Hey Spoony! I have a riddle for you!

An instrument of brass
A bodypart that’s crass
A strong and pungent smell
A pow’rful knockout spell

Combining all these into one, I ask you just what have I done?

Spoony looked puzzled for a moment, but just as realization started to dawn on him, Twinkletoes made the answer inescapably clear:

“I ate glitch’s Magic Beans!”

Posted 12/12/15, edited 12/13/15
Ru’s Love Bento (college edition)

NOTICE ME SENPAI……………………………….

If home is where the heart is then bentos are where me tummy is at!!! n QQQ n (... maybe that makes no sense but my SO and I make this every time we have a chance to cook together). We usually make them the night before and pack them to eat at theme parks heehee <3

Since a bento is essentially like a box of side dishes and one main dish, I’m going to be including mini-recipes for some of my favourite bento bits (hopefully this doesn’t break the multi-entry rule ;w;)! If you decide to make this, feel free to mix it all up or even add your own sides! Even last night’s left overs work :B How much effort you spend on it is really up to you, but the senpai you make one for will definitely acknowledge you….!!!!!!!! Even if that senpai is your own stomach ;)

Some of the recipes have similar ingredients/preparation methods, so be sure to look at them together so you can save time if you consider making more than one!!

Here are some Pros to bentos:

• Really fun to make and prepare (and eat all the extras).
  • Relatively easy to prepare!
  • Super exciting as a creative surprise for loved ones/family/friends.
  • A+++ delicious to eat!!!!!
..........ON TO THE SIDE DISHES
Onigiri (Riceballs!)

Serving Size: about 8 small-medium rice balls

Ingredients:
1 cup cooked Sushi Rice
1 slice of smoked salmon OR some spam (i.e., whatever you want as filling!)
Furikake Seasoning (or Sesame seeds, Bonito flakes, Nori flakes)
Nori (Seaweed Sheets)
Pinch of salt
Soy sauce for dipping

Equipment:
Rice Cooker (ah… the centrepiece of the asian house hold) OR pot to cook rice
Plastic Wrap
Kitchen Scissors
Bowl
Rice paddle or spoon

Instructions:
  1. Cook your rice! Follow the instructions on the rice cooker (or the packaging if you’re cooking in a pot!)
  2. While the rice be cooking, prepare your filling! I used smoked salmon, and cut it up into small strips/pieces to be wrapped in rice.
  3. Fill your bowl with some water and a little salt. This will be for if you get rice stuck to your hands while you’re working!
  4. Once the rice has been cooked, scoop out a palm-sized amount onto a square of plastic wrap. Put your filling on top of the bed of rice and sprinkle some seasoning!

5. Fold the rice on top of the filling and ball it up nicely! Then mould it with your clean hands until the desired shape (can be a triangle or a ball~) and unwrap the plastic.

6. Make as many as you can until you run out of rice. Then make more rice. I mean, then using the scissors, cut out strips from your seaweed sheets and wrap your rice balls in them! You can get super creative with your shapes and flavours<3
  7. EAT THEM ALL! Serve with some soy sauce!! Yummyyyy~
Tamagoyaki (Rolled Sweet Omelette)

Serving Size: about 3-5 rolls (depending on pan size & thickness)

Ingredients:
3-5 large eggs
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp soy sauce
1 tsp mirin (cooking wine)
1/4 cup dashi or (bonito flakes + hot water)
Pinch of salt
Vegetable/Canola Oil

*Most of these are just for flavouring, so if you’re missing some it’s A-ok~ I know dashi/bonito flakes can be hard to find. I’ve tried a substitute 1/4 cup of miso broth and it also works haha.

Equipment:
Tamagoyaki Pan OR Small non-stick frying pan (I used one in this tutorial since I know most of you won’t have the square pan <w<)
Chopsticks/Fork or Flat Spatula
Paper towel
Mixing bowl & 2 smaller bowls
Liquid Measuring Cup
Sieve (optional)
Cutting Board & Knife
Plastic Wrap
Bamboo Mat (optional)

Instructions:
  1. Lovingly beat your eggs in a mixing bowl. Think tough love, not domestic abuse.
  2. Combine dashi, soy sauce, miring, sugar, and salt in the smaller bowl and then mix in with the eggs.
  3. Strain the mixture through the sieve into the liquid measuring cup. The cup & straining is not necessary but it will really make it much easier for you to pour and cook the egg layers so they turn out light and fluffy.

4. In the second small bowl, pour out a little oil and soak a little square of paper towel in it. Brush your oily paper towel all over the pan. Just make sure the bottom of the pan is greased.

5. On medium to med-high heat, pour a little of the mixture so that it thinly covers the entire surface of the pan. Pop all the bubbles with your chopsticks or a fork so that air can escape. When it the layer starts to look semi-cooked but still soft (not runny!), peel at the edges of the layer and slowly pick up one side with your chopsticks and roll! Lift and tilt the pan to help you get the rolling-action going! If you’re using a spatula, slide it under one side of the layer and flip a little bit over and continue to roll the layer in the same way.

6. You can add more layers if you want to thicken the roll! Making sure your pan is still nicely greased (brush it again with the oily paper towel if necessary), push your first roll layer to the end of the pan, and pour another thin coat of egg mixture over the pan! Lift the roll and tilt the pan so the liquid can get underneath.

7. Continue until you’re satisfied with the thickness of your roll and make more until the mixture runs out n v n Don’t forget to make sure your pan is well greased each time to prevent sticking! After you finish making the rolls, you can lay out each roll on some plastic wrap and a bamboo mat (I couldn’t find mine n o n;;;) or some paper towel and firmly shape them before they fully cool.

8. Cut into slices! n O n Check out those cute layers <3

P-pOTA!!!!!  h O I !!!

There’s this AYCE korean BBQ restaurant in SoCal called Gen, which has the best KBBQ I’ve ever tasted (at least compared to anything you can find in Toronto). But they also have the best potato salad side dish I have ever tasted. Ever. I swear I asked for like 10 plates of just that, to the point where they were bringing me double scoops in each plate, haha. After returning home I was craving it so badly I had to try and make it myself. <w< I call it Pota.

Serving Size: More than enough to snack on for days! Feel free to half the ingredients to make just enough for the bentos (and some prep snackage).

Ingredients:
4 small-medium Yukon potatoes
2 large eggs
1 cup frozen mixed veggies
2-3 tbsp mayonnaise (or to taste)
1 tsp table salt

Equipment:
Small sauce pan
Medium-large pot + lid
Cutting Board & Knife
Fork & Measuring Spoons + Cups (or you could just guesstimate! n O n)
Peeler! (*not pictured!)
Ladle/Big Spoon/something to mash with
Strainer *optional

Instructions:
one of my eggs exploded… omg <w<;;;;;
  1. Boil your eggs! Stick your eggs in a sauce pan and fill it up with water until the eggs are fully submerged. Try not to do too much or the water could bubble over or splash out and then your mom will scold you for water staining the precious stove U___U;. Bring it to rolling boil on high, then turn it off and let it sit on the burner for 12-16 minutes.
  2. While your eggs are doing their thing, wash, peel and chop up your potatoes into approximately 1 inch pieces. Size doesn’t actually matter too much since they’re going to be mashed but the smaller the pieces the easier they will be to mash later.
  3. Put ‘em in a pot, submerge them entirely with water. Again, not too much <w< >w>. Bring to a rolling boil and add a teaspoon of salt to the water. You can turn down the heat to medium-high at this point if the boil is looking dangerously close to splashing.
  4. By this time your eggs should be hard boiled to perfection. Carefully strain the water and run the eggs under cold water to cool them down. You can peel their shells under cold water if they’re still hot. Every once in a while, check to see if your potatoes are soft by stick a fork in one. If it slides in easily then they’re ready! Turn the heat down to simmer and put a lid over the pot. We want the remaining water to evaporate. If there is a lot left still, you can carefully drain it later.
  5. Re-using the small sauce pan (or another), heat up your frozen mixed veggies. Boil them until they float. It shouldn’t take too long, but when they’re ready, remove from heat and drain because they can easily overcook. While your potatoes are simmering and your veggies are cooking, remove the yolks from the eggs. Mince the egg whites into little pieces.

6. Remove your pot of potatoes from the heat and drain completely if necessary. Add the 2 egg yolks and mash them and the potatoes up a bit with a large spoon or ladle or your weapon of choice. BE CAREFUL BECAUSE THE POT IS HOT. If you need to grip the pot, only touch the handles or use an oven mitt. Add 2-3 tablespoons of mayo or however much or little you’d like. I personally love mayo *w* but some people are not so hot about it so just do you~ n O n Then add your cooked veggies and mix it all up and voila~~~ Pota!!

Refrigerate your extras, and eat it cold or hot~

Mycenification!

Presenting…. EGG-CHAN as a Kyaraben!! <3

Posted 12/13/15, edited 12/13/15