02:04 ST
[Forum Game] Mycena Cave Cuisine Competition -- Budget Edition (discussion)

This is the Discussion Topic.

Entries are now closed. You may view the submitted recipes in the Recipe Submission Topic, and you can follow the nomination process in the Nomination Topic :)

Don’t have much luck with puzzles, but enjoy cooking?

Have you been waiting to get your hands on a shiny
Gold Medallion?

Well then! We are hungryyyyy

Ohhhh tasties and nibbles and noms, chewies and eatings and chomps.
We have us such hungries, why won’t you feed us some crunchies!Staff’s Stomachs

This challenge is all about… you guessed it, food! One of our staff members recently started paying more attention to what she’s eating, and in particular, reducing her sugar intake. This means she’s become super conscious about food, and has also started to try and eat foods she’s disliked all her life — to her surprise, discovering she actually *does not* passionately hate chicory, brussel sprouts, lasagne or pasta sauce any more, that honey is actually surprisingly tasty if it’s not put in tea, and that there are all sorts of tasty things she’s never even tried before. She then proceeded to bother all sorts of people (-cough-fellow staff-cough-) with her freshly gained food knowledge, and an event idea was born!

For this challenge, you have to pick one of your favorite recipes in real life and Mycenify it. This means you could (but not limited to)...

• write a story about the dish,
  • draw the dish,
  • make the dish out of clay,
  • design a dance inspired by the dish,
  • and/or perhaps alter the ingredients slightly to be more Mycena Cave-esque.

You have until Sunday, May 3rd at 23:59 ST to post your entry in the Recipe Submission Topic. In the following two weeks, voluntary staff members will nominate (AND more importantly, PREPARE AND EAT) recipes that appeal to them. There will also be a group of additional non-cooking (staff) Gourmet Experts to judge your creativity, and together we will pick a winning recipe from the nominees.

“Wait— Did you say… winning?Mycena Cave Inhabitants

Why yes! Of course there is something to win. The overall winning recipe(s) will win a Gold Medallion! But, rest assured, even if you do not win — all entries that meet minimum participation will receive 1 gem. For this event, minimum participation constitutes of posting the ingredients, instructions, showing you have made a clear effort to Mycenify it and giving us proof that you have made this recipe before. Proof can be in the shape of a photograph including your username in the picture, or alternately if you do not have access to a camera, providing another creative way that proves to us you have actually made the dish before. No submitting a recipe from allrecipes.com! -leers at-

- Recipe: Ingredients
- Recipe: Instructions
- Creative: Mycenification
- Proof of Preparation

However, there is a catch. Or two, actually.

1. Some of us live on a pretty tight budget and/or do not have the time for twelve hour recipes. Not all of us can afford caviar, and not all ingredients you are familiar with will be easily available in all countries :) Just something to keep in mind!
  2. There are certain things some staff members cannot or will not eat. The list will be provided in this topic, but may be expanded throughout the event. Your recipe absolutely does not have to fit everyone’s preferences, however! We just want to be open and honest with regards to any biases.
    Myla - Pescatarian/Vegetarian recipes preferred.
    feyers - Pescatarian.
    Firkasa - Recipes low on dairy, not too strong/rich in flavour.
    Amaterasu - No recipes containing eggplants.
    Prose - No tomatoes, not too many onions.
    Juney - No recipes containing alcohol.

Voluntary Chef/Gourmet Expert Staff Members
- Myla
- glitch
- daemon
- feyers
- Firkasa
- Amaterasu
- Prose
- Juney
- King

WE CAN’T WAIT TO START TRYING YOUR DISHES :D Go go!

Posted 04/24/15, edited 04/29/16
Oh my god this is incredible! I’ve got an idea of what I wanna do but I’ve got some shopping to do (and maybe some more planning) @_@
Posted 04/24/15
Neat-o. Can’t wait to see what everyone cooks or, well, Mycenifies up! While there are tons of foods mostly desserts I would gladly write odes about but I haven’t actually made anything in a long, long time so I’ll be passing on this one. ^^
Posted 04/24/15, edited 04/24/15
Just to be clear: do the recipes need to be ‘healthy’ to go with the whole ‘being conscious of what she’s eating and reducing her sugar intake’ etc, or was that just an intro and basically irrelevant? :D;
Posted 04/24/15

*Scratches chin*

Hmmm…. Very interesting. I have an idea…

Posted 04/24/15

Hawkins; Well, that’s one particular staff member who is trying to eat healthy. -shifty eyes- totes not me -/shifty eyes- ...Some of the others are PARTICULARLY FOND of sweets 8D (-cough- looking at you, glitch & daemon)

No, you absolutely don’t have to stick to healthy recipes only :3

Posted 04/24/15
Can’t wait to see photographs of delicious food. * p *
Posted 04/24/15
Arintol and I were wondering if we could do a joint submission? We’re best friends in real life so we could prepare together~
Posted 04/24/15
Catbee; Much like in a real life cooking competition, the prize will be awarded to the recipe, and not the amount of makers — so if you do a joint entry and it wins, that still means you only get one Gold Medallion. I’ll make sure to check with glitch & Myla, but pretty sure we wouldn’t double the amount of prizes just because an entry had two makers.
Posted 04/24/15
So… does the recipe need to be cooked/baked or anything like that? I have a favorite salad recipe, but it’s not really a cooking recipe, so does it count for the competition?

Condor; A salad recipe is just fine :) As long as you can provide proof of having made it before, and creatively Mycenify your recipe one way or another, it doesn’t need to involve any type of cooking, baking, grilling, stewing, steaming, ... :D

In addition, recipes could be dinner courses, but may also be breakfast/lunch dishes, appetisers, desserts, snacks, or anything else you can think of!

Thanks Juney! I don’t mind giving Arintol the prize if we somehow won, it’s more fun just to be able to do it together :3
Posted 04/24/15

I only know how to make one super bad for you dessert.  Curses XD

Ama for President though.  Eggplants X_X

Posted 04/24/15
TuT if only this were scheduled a few weeks later… during summer break… when i actually have access to a kitchen…
Posted 04/24/15
I am guessing we can’t sew bacon into a scarf to win?
Posted 04/24/15
I am pretty sure I am a Hobbit IRL, as much as I adore food and cooking. THIS IS FABULOUS I LOVE IT.
Posted 04/24/15

What a lovely idea. :D
I’m bad at this kinda stuff, but luckily I’ve got a medallion already. XD Good luck to anyone trying! I can’t wait to feast my eyes on the tasty looking photos and maybe even try some of the recipes out. <3
Also I love tea with honey. XD

*shivers* Eggplants. My mother tricked me into eating it once!!!!111!!! :( Never again.

But seriously, feeeeed meeee. ;3; My exams will be done which means I actually have time to cook again! (And maybe I can set it up so you guys can see me fail at reproducing your recipes!

Posted 04/24/15

*swooshes through with her mouth open whale shark style*

i want a food in my mouth!!

I’ve played sous chef with my sister a lot, so she’ll help me formalize a recipe from what we normally make! We normally just “measure” to taste. “Oh, I love mushrooms—let’s chop in that whole basket!” XD Very arbitrary.

I just joined a few weeks ago, so what exactly does mycenifying it mean? Should I try to incorporate consumables on the site? Make it pet-friendly? @_@

I’m not budgeted for extra ingredient shopping at the moment but I have tons of recipes and pictures of these recipes that I have made. They don’t have my username in the photos since they have already been made. Would these photos with a recipe constitute for coming up with a creative way to prove that I made them?
Posted 04/24/15

WeyrLeader; What we’d see as “mycenification” is not set in stone :3 As the list of suggestions shows, you could do a lot of things — use an existing recipe and write a story about how & why your characters would eat that dish (celebratory dish, ‘once a week party meal’, favourite ingredients); You could draw the dish in a Mycena Cave event; You could depict the dish as an offering to the Bone Monster & design a ‘tribute’ dance; OR, you could mix up the ingredients and add Mycena Cave inspired ingredients :D Given that Mycena Cave is essentially magic, the freedom you have for your creativity is endless ;3 (And to emphasise for those worried — no, that means dishes do not all need to contain mushrooms to be considered Mycenified :P)

mellomyst; You coulddd.. Take a picture of your kitchen or your kitchen supplies that you used in the picture that has your username on it :D? That way, you don’t have to re-make the dish, but you can still prove the photograph of the dish is yours? Or, come up with another way — feel free to send me an echo if you think of a way & would like to get it checked :3

Myla‘s post made me cackle out loud & my mother downstairs wonder if I was alright >>

I’m in college right now and the dorm rooms, so no cooking for me :C I do, however, have a favorite childhood recipe I used to make. Would telling the story of how I learned to make it and the story behind its name count as proof of evidence?

Alternativly, I do have pictures on my facebook of myself cooking different dishes. However, again they were all from before college, and thus they don’t have my username on it. Would these pictures me acceptable?

Posted 04/24/15

Argh, I’m horrible with preparing any kind of food. (seriously, i can only cook pasta and toasts lol)

And I’m even more horrible at trying to Mycenafy the few recipes i actually know XD

Good luck to everyone who enters, I’ll be sitting here, drooling as i think about food :P

Meesh; A childhood story of how you learned to make a dish & the story behind the name, and/or pictures of you cooking a recipe with you in it (which do not have to be submitted publicly, but would have to be shown to staff) both sound like perfectly fine ways to prove you know the recipe through & through and have actually made it before, yes <3!

We really just need some way to be 99% certain you didn’t just pick a recipe off some website & list a cooking show photograph, just to get a quick entry in :)

Knight; There will be much drooling on our end, too, promise!

Whew! Thanks Juney.

Think I’m going use my Mycena characters. >_< Ohhhhh~ This is gonna be so fun!

Posted 04/24/15
posted! My favorite recipe is full of mushrooms, so it’s perfect for Mycena :D
Posted 04/24/15
oops, i can’t cook. guess i’ll have to wait for the next event ehheh
Posted 04/24/15
I have another question~ May we enter more than one recipe?
Posted 04/24/15

I was going to ask the same thing as Cryolite.

How many submissions can we enter?

Posted 04/24/15