23:24 ST
New laws regarding EU / UK purchases of gems and custom credit

If you are not located in the European Union, and do not use European Union issued credit, debit or prepay cards, you can ignore this post.

—————————-

Hello,

Due to new EU laws that came into effect January 1st, we can no longer accept “instant” purchases for gems or custom credit from anybody in the EU. Doing so would require us to have a server located inside the European Union, and store quite a lot of your private / sensitive information on it for a minimum of 10 years — something we are unwilling (and by US law not legally allowed) to do.

As such, from now on, we can no longer allow people in the EU to buy gems or custom credit using the on-site shop. Payments for customs are not affected by these new laws, so you can continue to use our payment system for direct custom purchases or PP. To make this completely clear: If you are located in the EU and would like to buy gems for real money, you may not use the Cave Exchange or Custom Credit shop. Instead, please contact me and we will perform the purchase manually.

I have put up reminders of this on all affected pages (the Cave Exchange shop). If you have any questions about this, please feel free to respond to this post or send me an echo / email. I’m really sorry for this inconvenience, but there is nothing we can do about it :(

Posted 01/12/15, edited 02/01/17

Whoever made this change is stupid. >w>
Purchasing virtual stuff is going to be a pain from now on and I feel sorry for you guys, having to deal with every purchase directly sounds like an even bigger pain. D:

Posted 01/12/15
Is using PayPal still fine? I had issues using my card anyway (my bank is obsessed with fraud), so assuming I can still use PayPal, this shouldn’t effect me too much.
Posted 01/12/15, edited 07/13/19

Eeep. Do you have a link to these laws and more information, outta curiosity? If this is going to affect a lot of petsites like MC, I wanna pass on the info.

So I did a little reading, and this stuff is nuts. I don’t understand how anyone is supposed to comply. There’s more info, and notes on taking action (letter writing and a petition) at the site http://euvataction.org/

Posted 01/12/15, edited 01/12/15

Rhyme:  I’m just glad we can still find a way to serve everyone given how hard this is on small businesses, even if it is a bit more inconvenient to both parties!

Oxton:  Yes, that is fine as long as you echo glitch as usual. :)

Chimerical:  They’re 2015 UK VAT changes if you feel like googling around.  Here are some additional links:

http://www.smallbusiness.co.uk/financing-a-business/accounts-and-tax/2475862/eu-vat-changes-affecting-digital-content-and-eservice-sellers.thtml

http://rachelandrew.co.uk/archives/2014/11/25/how-small-companies-and-freelancers-can-deal-with-the-vatmoss-eu-vat-changes/

http://techcrunch.com/2014/11/25/eus-new-vatmoss-rules-could-create-a-vatmess-for-startups/

There’s also discussion on VPL though not much of it is particularly helpful: http://www.virtualpetlist.com/threads/eu-vat-supply-laws-and-virtual-pet-sites.25920/.  The helpful post is this one.

I’m a tad confused on one thing how or will it even affect travelers or people living possibly indefinitely in, say, the UK?
Posted 01/12/15
From what I’ve read/heard on the topic the rule has to do with what country the item purchased is enjoyed in/used in - so for anyone that lives in the US but is purchasing while in the UK would be subject to this, because you would be receiving said product while under their law - even if you’re not a resident.
Posted 01/12/15
That’s what I thought but I wasn’t totally sure I’d understood it correctly.
Posted 01/12/15

Yes, lollobrigida is correct; technically it is wherever you are physically located at the time of the purchase.  However, because we are not equipped to determine this accurately, we will be using the issuing country of your credit card to make these decisions. 

This could also be a downfall if you have a UK card but are living in/visiting the US — we will still think your location is in the EU.  Basically, don’t use any EU card to make a purchase regardless of where you are actually located.

Rhyme “Whoever made this change is stupid. >w>”  <- I could not agree more.

To everyone located in the EU, I encourage you to write to your representative / lawmakers about this. There’s a pretty big backlash about this legislation already — if enough people get involved who knows what might happen.

D: That sounds absolutely disgusting. I’m sorry you guys have to deal with that bag of butt crap. <3
Posted 01/12/15
I’m having to deal with this on another site. It’s a pain in the [insert whatever body part you wish]. ESPECIALLY for small businesses running via interwebs. Ugh. I’m just hoping it goes away so I don’t have to keep hurting my head trying to fully understand it… I’m in the US, it shouldn’t affect MY selling!
Posted 01/13/15
“Payments for customs are not affected by these new laws, so you can continue to use our payment system for direct custom purchases.” How about sprouts? I’m sorry if that’s a stupid question, hahaha.
Posted 06/02/15
That’s not a stupid question!  Sprouts are unaffected as well, since we manually upload and deliver sprouts to accounts and it isn’t an automatic process. :D!
Posted 06/02/15