04:13 ST
October News Discussion

In October I’ll be host
To Witches, Goblins and a Ghost
I’ll serve them chicken soup with toast

Hey everyone!

Quick recap of everything that happened over the last month:

So scrry :<

We learned that a bunch of people find administrators intimidating and don’t like talking to us because we’re scary… which is the opposite of what we’re trying to foster here. SO we got rid of those “ADMINISTRATOR” blobs under our names in echos and forum posts, and replaced them with what we actually do. We also added them for the rest of staff. I know it’s a small thing but hopefully it helps at least a little bit. Now we just need to get Myla to stop being so mean to everyone ;)

(For those of you that don’t know her… that’s a joke because she’s probably the sweetest person ever)
(...don’t tell her I said that.)

Eleventy Eventythings!

We had a number of mini-events this month. Several challenges appeared: Through the Magnifying Glass, Whispered Secrets as well as a hidden… ahh… “wormy challenge”. We also saw the beginning of our Dungeon Diving Rescue forum event, which I dunno about you guys but I’m totally going to solve >:[. Much fun!

Forums take more form

We had quite the little forum revamp. We consolidated all of the controls in that litle dropdown thing at the top-right of each post. We added the ability to pin threads, making them appear on your frontpage just like the sticky threads do, with the notion of helping you keep track of your RPs, trade threads, and pretty much any other thread you care to follow.

We also introduced a new forum, The Hangouts. If you’re unfamiliar with the concept of a hangout thread, the idea is this: you go make yourself a thread over there, and it’s your own personal “hangout” space. It’s a great way to chitchat with other users, and to carve out your own little corner of the cave. The topic of your hangout thread can be anything you want it to be. If there’s anything in your thread that you don’t want there, please don’t hesitate to contact a moderator or use the “report” feature and our moderators will deal with it: you are king of your thread.

We’ve also rolled out out a site-wide “report” feature to give a voice to users who aren’t comfortable sending echos to moderators. Right now it’s applicable on forums and echos, and when chat is officially released, there too.

Rules rules rules so many rules

We finally updated our site rules, which was a task long overdue. We drew heavily from the discussion we had on the topic a number of weeks ago, so a huge thank you to everyone who participated in that: you helped shape the rules of our community, and we didn’t have to try to think of everything ourselves.

Chatalatalat

We had our first Public Beta for Chat 2.0, and it went rather well! We identified a number of things that needed fixing, but once those are sorted out we’ll be good to go! Stay tuned, and expect a full release before the end of the month :D

How to account for accounts?

Part of the rules update is that you are not allowed to share your password with any other Mycena Cave user, unless your account is officially a “shared account”. That is to say, no individual may know the password to more than one Mycena Cave account. This is actually a fairly important rule when it comes to account security, so we will take enforcing it seriously.

However, during the rules discussion it became clear that having the ability to temporarily (or permanently) allow access to your account is something that would be very useful. As such, we added the feature of Guest Keys. These do grant complete access to your account, so please be careful who you share these with. Note that users logged in with a guest key are unable to play games or participate in raffles and so on. Guest Keys can be used by anybody, including people who are not members of Mycena Cave.

Beep-boopin’ behind the scenes

We had some instability after we installed and began running the SPDY (pronounced “speedy”) protocol — to the point where we had to disable it again. So if you noticed the site behaving weirdly for a few days towards the beginning of the month, that is why. We isolated the issues and fixed them, which let us re-enable the delicious SPDY protocol resulting in significantly faster pageloads for those of you using browsers that support it (i.e. pretty much everyone except Internet Explorer on Windows 7 and below). If your browser doesn’t support SPDY, it will continue to use HTTP, which means everything is exactly the same other than the fact that you won’t get the speed-boost.

Other things

Chapter 3 got released, and takes its place in our Lore explaining the origins of humans in the cave. The nuggets winnings for our Echolocation game were increased by 20%, making it a little easier to get to the daily cap if you’re an avid Echolocation player. We also managed to snag three amazing new artists, and we’re ridiculously excited for what they have in store for us… and you should be too ;). And speaking of artists and what they do, we were also able to re-open the custom credit shop, hopefully once again making customs a little bit more accessible to non-paying users.

We’re also in the middle of having our very first completely free raffle… so if you haven’t already, click the link in the header-announcement and go claim your tickets!

Wowthatwasabusymonth!

Posted 10/01/14, edited 10/01/14

I’m actually incredibly excited to see how SPDY works out :o

Other than that, everything else is really cool :D.Imma solve the dungeon though.

Posted 10/01/14
Except me. Myly is always mean to me. >.>
Posted 10/01/14

Yay for October changes! And I didn’t even know about those mini challenges…awh ;-;

Ah well. I’m certainly excited for echolocation nuggies :)

Posted 10/01/14
-sneaks in & slurps up all the tasty soup-
Posted 10/01/14
Yay! Great month ^-^
Posted 10/01/14
*trails in after Juney and nabs the toast* O 30
Posted 10/01/14

Wow, didn’t realize how busy September was for you guys!  It went so fast…

Also, I love that Chicken Soup With Rice quote…just sayin’.  Loved that little book when I was a kid.

Posted 10/01/14

I wasn’t aware we had a couple other mini-challenges! I looked at them and they stumped me pretty fast. XD
Also for some reason, getting rid of the administrator blurbs to be less scary to everyone is really adorable to me. Ya’ll are adorable. All of you Mycena staffers are just too cute.

Anyhow, looking forward to a fun October! :33 Hopefully I can join in on the event this year! (if there is one!)

Posted 10/01/14
I wonder what Halloween will bring. GIMME THE SPOOKS.
Posted 10/01/14
September really zoomed by! Time to rock October. ;D
Posted 10/01/14

.... I blame stress from school… But the part about the sticker change amused me and I had to share. However Nephy is awful at arts so I will just the link and others can click at their own risk…

http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc447/Nephele_Butler/CruddyComicThing_zpsa0a18764.png

On a slightly more serious assessment of the update, I did not realize that so much had happened in the month of September. o.0 Maybe because I’ve busier than usual with going back to school so I haven’t had my usual amount of time to stalk the site. But everything really does seem pretty awesome! I hope we can have more of those mini-games sometime, I didn’t get a chance to play the last ones, I had too much going on in class.

Posted 10/01/14
Nephy I love your little admin comic! :D
Posted 10/01/14
it…. may be on my profile >>
Posted 10/01/14
Bahahahahahahahahahaha /slaps thigh lol Nephele xD
Posted 10/01/14

Admin aren’t scary, they only bite 80% of the time! D:
Unlike the most of the population who bites 210% of the time… so yeah ^ ^

Also
OCTOBER WHOO IT’S OCTOBER WHOO~

Posted 10/01/14
Nephy.. that made my day! XD <333 W
Posted 10/01/14
omg Nephele I had no idea what to expect when I clicked that link /dying
I hadn’t even noticed the change before I started reading this thread but…that comic is glorious. XD
Posted 10/01/14
.... Wow, I’m legitimately flattered. XD Especially that Glitch decided it was worthy of putting on his profile. You guys actually made my day by being so amused by that little bit of caffeine and homework fueled craziness. XD

‘huggles’
It’s cause we love you so much Neph! <3

And omg… look!
Glitch you lied to us with your little bubble! D:> Your profile tells it all!!!

Posted 10/02/14
Kay Mentrae, glitch said that it was on his profile! XDD
Posted 10/02/14

I thought he was talking about Nephele‘s comic, which is now on his profile x3
But even so, his little ‘Coder’ blob is a facade! XD

I have moderatorphobia o.o

Posted 10/02/14
I think we should update the blobs under our names to be “Thing 1,” “Thing Two,” etc.  That way you know we do something, but have no idea what, and, therefore, there is nothing to be intimidated about.  :D *genius*
Posted 10/02/14, edited 10/02/14
You’re welcome.
Posted 10/02/14
glarch…... :|!!!!
Posted 10/02/14

hmm this is not going as planned.

You know, looking at our avatars… one of them looks significantly more like a poopnugget than the other. Just saying…

Posted 10/02/14, edited 10/02/14
glitch, does this mean you’re Mycena Cave’s golden goose, only with nuggets instead of golden eggs? :D
Posted 10/02/14
Eluii,  I thought he was a puffy hen..  that’s probably why his nuggets aren’t golden. ):
Posted 10/02/14
Ohhhh, right. We should take him back to the farm and ask for a refund :(
Posted 10/02/14