19:43 ST
The way we refer to pet species and types is changing

Hey everyone!

Something about which we’ve received a lot of feedback since opening is how we name categories of pets. The delineation we chose when opening was:

Type: general lineart shape, e.g. ineki, drasillis (the dragon-thing), etc.
Subtype: any modifications to the original, e.g. cat / dog / fox-like ineki.
Species: individual entities, such as Cave Shadows or Tanuki.

I in particular liked this breakdown because oftentimes in nature, different species are differentiated by colorations or markings. However, many people have found this confusing. What’s more, some of you raised some excellent points in arguing that it ultimately doesn’t fit well with the world of Mycena Cave. For example, it doesn’t make terribly much sense for unique or custom pets. More importantly, once mating and breeding are introduced, it would be odd to end up with two siblings of different species.

And so, with that in mind, we’re changing the category names. The new delineation we’ll be using is:

Species: general lineart shape, e.g. ineki, drasillis, etc.
Type: any modifications to the original, e.g. cat / dog / fox-like ineki.
Coat: individual entities, such as Cave Shadows or Tanuki.

I understand that changing something like this is confusing, especially since two of the new categories share names with old categories and yet mean different things. However, after hearing from many of you we’re convinced that in the long run this will be far easier to cope with — both for new players and in just making a lot more sense in the context of the Cave.

Posted 09/19/13

I think in reference to breeding and mating and such, then the change is proper and makes a bit more sense. Without those features and additions, the other way would have worked well, but I agree that this is a good move. ~ :)
I can’t wait until those features are introduced. Keep up the good work :D

Posted 09/19/13
Ooh I think that the change makes more sense, actually. ^^ No complaints here!
Posted 09/19/13
Good call, that makes more sense to me too!
Posted 09/19/13
This makes a lot more sense! :D Good update!
Posted 09/19/13

This actually makes more sense to me n_n

...and yes it would be terribly odd to have siblings of different species. XD
-finds that very amusing-

Posted 09/20/13
It’s a lot more understandable xD
Posted 09/20/13
I REALLY like this change.  It makes much more sense to me than the old way!
Posted 09/21/13
I think it flows better this way. c: Yay!
Posted 09/21/13